Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanted: Service in San Diego

Hey All,

Sorry if this is the wrong location for this post, but I couldnt find a better place to put it.

I have spent about 40 hours trying to get my 1980 GS550E to run well and just cant do it. I rode it over to a modern motorcycle repair shop, they spent 8 hours, and it still ran poorly. Then I gave it to my brother who is a porsche mechanic, he spent 10 hours, and it still runs poorly. Keep in mind that the engine/exhaust/airbox/jets are all completely stock.

Is there anyone in San Diego that is an expert on these old bikes that would be willing to fix/tune it for a reasonable wage? Or if you can recommend a shop that knows their stuff, I would appreciate it! I realize there are good carb cleaning services on this board, but thought I would first try to find someone who could get the bike running well, as I would hate to pay to rebuild the carb just for it to still have issues.

Background: I bought this bike back in 2014 and it ran close to perfect. Idled right at 900 rpms and ran very well except for a dip in power around 3K rpms. Then by late 2016, the carbs were getting a bit dirty and it wouldnt hold idle. At this time I took the carbs apart and really gave them a good cleaning. I also put in a carb rebuild kit (I still have the stock parts, but confirmed all new parts matched perfectly). Once this was done, no one could get it to work well. Currently it starts without choke and will idle around 2K rpms (if you drop the RPMs lower it wont hold idle). Then, it has absolutely no power under 4K RPMS. Like hard to get moving power. Once you get above these RPMs, it runs beautifully and will rev all the way up to redline with good power.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-23-2019, 08:28 PM.

Carb rebuild kit???? All you really need are the O-rings from cycleorings.com and bowl gaskets possibly. I would suspect the carb rebuild kit parts, especially if they came from China or the like!

Just my $.02.
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1982 GS1100E
    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
      Carb rebuild kit???? All you really need are the O-rings from cycleorings.com and bowl gaskets possibly. I would suspect the carb rebuild kit parts, especially if they came from China or the like!

Just my $.02.

I realize this and am thinking the next task will be putting all of the stock parts back in and getting the o-rings. Problem is I have a 1 month old son, a 17 month old daughter, and a job where I work consistent 55 hour weeks. So at this point I just need a pro to work some magic. Even though I love doing stuff myself, I'm going to have to settle for paying right now.

Comment

My observation relative to working on these GSes is that there is no subsitute for expereince with these GSes. SOmeone may have lots of expereince with other bikes in general. But they really need specific expereince withg GSes to know the common problems.

Originally posted by Tenshots1 View Post
        this time I took the carbs apart and really gave them a good cleaning.............
        Describe "good cleaning".

................. Currently it starts without choke and will idle around 2K rpms (if you drop the RPMs lower it wont hold idle). .........
        That seems like a symptom that someone (not me) can identify.

................. Then, it has absolutely no power under 4K RPMS. Like hard to get moving power. Once you get above these RPMs, it runs beautifully and will rev all the way up to redline with good power.
        THat sounds like a dirty carb problem.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Get the carbs cleaned properly, do the valve adjustment, and a lot of your issues will settle down.
          sigpic
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
            My observation relative to working on these GSes is that there is no subsitute for expereince with these GSes. SOmeone may have lots of expereince with other bikes in general. But they really need specific expereince withg GSes to know the common problems.

Describe "good cleaning".

That seems like a symptom that someone (not me) can identify.

THat sounds like a dirty carb problem.
            By “good cleaning”, I mean the carbs and individual pieces were dunked in a carb cleaner solution overnight, brushed with a toothbrush, and then sprayed with carb cleaner as I went. They were pretty spotless by the time I was done.

regarding the other poster, I check valve clearance during this rebuild and confirmed I was within spec for all valves.

Anyway, I don’t want this to become a “problem solving” thread as much as I appreciate the tips. At this point I’m looking for someone good in SD that I could pay to make the bike tip top. As mentioned, there is no substitute for experience on these.

Comment

I know you are very busy with home life and most of us have been there as well. However, honestly, you're going to find the best way to do this is for you to do the work and let us help from afar with advice like this. Too many shops don't know how to work on our old bikes and really won't take them because of the risk associated with them. And many of the shops that will charge exorbitant fees and won't always do what's right for the bike.

Nessism is in that general area (think he's over in LA more than San Diego but I could be wrong) so reach out to him directly and see what he may suggest.
              sigpic
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Bit to much of a coincidence that when you put in a carb rebuild kit it would not run well being you have the original parts I would do a full carb strip and clean/ dip new orings via http://www.cycleorings.com/ and replace the jets with the original parts set them as the manual says, fresh petrol then when that's done then report back
                workshop manual here http://zeus.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage...-ES-L_1983.PDF
                There are members on here that offer their services to strip/clean and initial carb setup for a reasonable cost.
                Last edited by fastbysuzuki; 09-24-2019, 05:54 PM.
                The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                past bikes. RF900
                TL1000s
                Hayabusa
                gsx 750f x2
                197cc Francis Barnett
                various British nails

Comment

So i changed the jets back last night, adjusted one float a bit, and put it back together last night. Now its running Waaaaaay better. Idles right around 1K, accelerates pretty well. Looks like the aftermarket rebuild kit was causing all of the issues. By the way i checked the kit against the original parts when swapping them out and they look identical with identical markings on the sides.

Thanks all for your advice. I still need to sync the carbs, install new o-rings (small gas leak in carb 3), and slim down the plastic retainer on the needle to richen the mixture around 3K RPMS. Other than that, it is running pretty well and i will be able to take it to the distinguished gentlemens ride on Sunday.

Comment

Thanks for the follow-up report.

Yes, it's rather amazing how little a difference in jet sizes it takes to make a big difference in how the bike runs. The kids in the Chinese factories can stamp just about any number on a jet and you will <think> it's the right size, but you won't really know. That is why we highly recommend using the original jets when possible, or at least getting genuine Mikuni jets, which are easily obtained at a reasonable cost. As you have found, the parts in the "rebuild kit" are often of questionable quality.

By the way, rather than "slim down the plastic retainer", use a stack of 3mm washers, instead. A stack of 5 washers is the same thickness as the plastic spacer, so remove the spacer, install two or three washers in its place. This makes the process reversible and adjustable.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Yes, it's rather amazing how little a difference in jet sizes it takes to make a big difference in how the bike runs. The kids in the Chinese factories can stamp just about any number on a jet and you will <think> it's the right size, but you won't really know. That is why we highly recommend using the original jets when possible, or at least getting genuine Mikuni jets, which are easily obtained at a reasonable cost. As you have found, the parts in the "rebuild kit" are often of questionable quality.

By the way, rather than "slim down the plastic retainer", use a stack of 3mm washers, instead. A stack of 5 washers is the same thickness as the plastic spacer, so remove the spacer, install two or three washers in its place. This makes the process reversible and adjustable.

Good tip. Thanks Steve.

By the way, I did the DGR ride on Sunday. Put about 100 miles under the bike. It ran and idled like a champ. Was a great day! Except for one of my sidecovers popping off and getting ran over by a car.

Comment

radioshack used to sell a pack of those washers for peanuts.. more than you'd ever need. I think you could probably get them at a Tru Valu or Ace though or Ebay...
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Jets R Us has a 10-pack for $5.39. Flat-rate shipping of $7.99

Bolt Depot has zinc-plated steel 3mm washers for a nickel a piece, or a bag of 100 for $1.16. Shipping is $4.95

Bolt Depot also has stainless 3mm washers for a nickel a piece or a bag of 100 for $1.10. Shipping is the same at $4.95.

I haven't ordered anything from Jets R Us lately, but I ordered something from Bolt Depot just last week. Ordered Monday evening, got an e-mail Tuesday afternoon saying it had shipped, I had it Thursday.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

And it is common that these bikes run lean around 3K RPMs, not rich right? I think I read this. My acceleration bogs from 2,500-3,500, and has since i have owned the bike, but I am not sure whether this is a rich or lean condition. Usually it just accelerates about half as fast through the RPMs.

Comment

Working...
                            X