No announcement yet.

1984 GS1150ef rebuild!!! renew!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surprisingly difficult to remove the paint on the tank. The clear coat resisting aircraft paint stripper. A wire brush mounted on my drill had to chew through the clear before the stripper could remove the paint. I had planned to use a clear to prevent the tank from oxidization which would take place overnight but I found a product used by machine shops that stops the process, Gibbs. A little added to a paper towel and rub it in, done. I only need to reapply it if I have a fuel spill or if I need to buff out a scatch.
    IMG_1574.JPG
    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Not sure if one needs to join to check out the thread..

sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
        Not sure if one needs to join to check out the thread..

https://oldskoolsuzuki.info/forums/t...comment-168899
        Ah you found my thread there.
        It took a while before I got in, OSI website wouldn't recognize my email address for registration.
        Following some of the project threads on OSI has encouraged me to raise the bar as to what I can do. Though realistically I'll never come close to many of those builds.

Comment

For Charles who was curious as to how I made my tail cowl/ solo seat conversion I break down the process.

I didn't know if I would be successful so I bought a spare pillion seat with a torn cover for $20. I took off the seat material to hopefully wrap the future back pad, getting the matching dark blue of the seat would be impossible. I wrapped the pillion seat in packing tape being careful not to distort the original shape by wrapping it too tightly.
          IMG_1239.jpg

the next step for some reason I can't upload the photo GSR rejects.
          I bought rigid florist plant mounting foam from an art and crafts store(Micheals) laid it on top and sanded it down until the contours matched the pillion seat then extended the lines upwards to the height that made it level front to back.
          I wrapped/taped that in place with more packing tape and then a layer of duct tape to make firm surface.
          Next I rubbed bees wax over the entire surface so the following fibreglass wouldn't adhere to the tape.
          Last edited by wyly; 10-06-2020, 04:24 PM.

Comment

The finished height was no different than the oem in the rear. At his point the pillion seat was removed and I added 3-4 layers of fibreglass for strength, reinforced areas I though would be likely mounting points, filled in some low spots, straightened some lines. I suck at fibreglass it took me awhile, it was important that I get it as smooth as possible so I wouldn't need much bondo to hide dips and blemishes.

Comment

Tried uploading a "single" picture of the prime stage but GS Resources rejects it telling me I'm only allowed one photo

back pad was cut from I had left over from my CBX seat project. Cut and shaped to fit the space above the drivers seat, I cut it larger than required so it would expand once inside it's shell.
              IMG_1483.jpgthis photo was rejected as a "multiple photo" earlier...and now it's not.
              Last edited by wyly; 10-06-2020, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Until I come up with something better here's how I attached it to the seat for now.
                Originally it was attached to the pillion base but there were a number of issues with that method. Attaching the cowl to the seat solved a several of problems at once and it all comes off with only the oem key.
                This could all change in a years time, I've had thoughts of making an aluminum cowl or an auxiliary fuel tank. Or tucking a NO2 system under the cowl. Or a new home for the fuses, reg and battery. Or leave it as is and I can easily put the pillion seat back in only ten minutes.

IMG_2256.jpg
                Quite a disastrous attempt at adding photo's, I may be hopeless with IT but the forum design isn't making it easier.
                Last edited by wyly; 10-06-2020, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Frustrated by the awkward frustrating requirements of the forum for posting photos I shifted my project thread over to OSS. I completed the fairing conversion transformation to alloy. A steep learning curve and mega frustration but I got there, 8 months. It's solid, quieter and has better air flow than the oem it works better than I had hoped. Downside, it does get a lot of attention when I'd prefer not to be noticed.

click to enlarge
                  IMG_2804.jpg
                  Last edited by wyly; 04-27-2021, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Never figured out how to rotate photos either, sorry

IMG_2511.jpg

Comment

Final version I went back to my red fibreglass tail cowl, the extra splash of red balances the front imo. The alloy cowl is stored away if I want go back to it later.
                      IMG_2836.jpg
                      Of coarse my builds are never really completed, modifications are always in progress. Another 2 years before I've reached the final version in my head but that could change again.
                      Last edited by wyly; 04-27-2021, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Lovely job.

---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I'm not even gonna ask how you did that Grimly but thanks

Comment

It's been awhile since I've updated my photos for my efe project. Still vexed by an inability to post large photos and more than one image per post.

IMG_2932.jpg

Comment

can't get them in the proper orientation either.
                              IMG_2934.jpg

Comment

Thought I was done almost done with converting the plastic to alloy at this point.
                                IMG_2935.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X