Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1984 GS1150ef rebuild!!! renew!!

Modifying the rear seat into a fiberglass cowl with additional back support like the mid '80s Slabsides. It will shave a tiny bit of weight at the same time, the cowl is lighter than the seat pad and I'll be eliminating the rear pegs and on hanger completely. In the future if I choose to do it I can move the battery electrical components to the seat pan, and still I get keep the tool box under the pan as well.

Using the old seat I added a bit of foam from an art supply store and wrapped it with packing tape, foil tape then waxed it. The height at the rear is unchanged it's only slightly raised a the front to allow for the attachment of pad for my back.
    I've never worked with fiberglass before it requires a few more layers to strength and some minor alterations but it's progressing.

IMG_1245.jpg
    Last edited by wyly; 10-14-2019 at 03:40 PM.
    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

salty_monk is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Stock & not... All parts used are GSXR apart from the Ducati monster shock.

IMG_0656 by salty_monk, on Flickr

IMG_3552 by salty_monk, on Flickr

More pics uploaded here https://www.flickr.com/photos/111045...h/48900617281/

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold

www.agadisplay.com
    www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

IMG_1478.jpgcowl done, sort of. Ran out of clear coat but I have more work to on it so there may be a few scratches on the way.

How do I attach it to the pan??? I was planning on using Dzus quick release fasteners but the pan and cowl are at different angles so I'll likely need to modify the pan for that to work.

Then I need to get out the sewing machine and make a cover for the back pad that goes above the seat. And figure out how to attach that from the inside of the cowl.

It would be easier just to buy a new ride (like a Kawi Z900 or KTM900 Duke) but then what would I do all winter?

Quote Originally Posted by wyly View Post
    IMG_1478.jpgcowl done, sort of. Ran out of clear coat but I have more work to on it so there may be a few scratches on the way.

Looking good! I like the way it flows with the rest of the bodywork on the bike.

Honda 954rr upper triple allow the use of slightly shorter forks.
    Don't know all the details, but ur fellow Canadian in BC (katman), may have some older posts on the subject from the archives.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Following.....

Losing the passenger pegs / hangers also cleans up the overall look. But youíll need to make a muffler hanger, which Iím assuming you already know.
    There are loads of 1150s modified in many ways over at Old Skool Suzuki. You can find plenty of suspension / wheel swap info there as well.

When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Quote Originally Posted by dorkburger View Post
    Following.....

Losing the passenger pegs / hangers also cleans up the overall look. But you’ll need to make a muffler hanger, which I’m assuming you already know.
    There are loads of 1150s modified in many ways over at Old Skool Suzuki. You can find plenty of suspension / wheel swap info there as well.
    Passenger pegs are easy enough to remove the entire hangers is trickier, there is more than just a muffler attached to them; rear brakes, shift linkage and drivers pegs. I can chop them shorter and remove a couple lbs in weight but I'm not confident it'll be aesthetically pleasing when I'm done.

I'll check out Old Skool Suzuki and see what ideas I can borrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Carter Turk View Post
    Honda 954rr upper triple allow the use of slightly shorter forks.
    Don't know all the details, but ur fellow Canadian in BC (katman), may have some older posts on the subject from the archives.
    I've been warned not to go with shorter forks a shorter fork with the 16' wheel I have could make for some very twitchy handling. I have a mechanic/technical advisor who is a suspension and tuner expert who works the WorldSBK circuit. He wants to measure the geometry of my GS if I intend to do any fork swaps and advises a larger front wheel 17" or 18".

I'd like to have inverted forks but he says the forks I have can be vastly improved by removing the anti dive, adding Race Tech Emulators and springs. None of those mods comes cheap, finding a complete front wheel/inverted fork/brake/triples/clip-ons assembly for a similar price would be my preferred option. Not many later model forks come close to the length I have now, if I recall correctly the 93-95 GSXR1100's ccme closest to recommended the fork length.

.... brain fart on my part. I forgot that those carriers hold all of that. I have seen them substantially cut down.

When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Quote Originally Posted by 80GS1000 View Post
    Looking good! I like the way it flows with the rest of the bodywork on the bike.
    thanks' that important to know, I was concerned I had rounded the the corners too much, the goal was for it to look like it belonged on the bike like the mid 80's Slabbies. I'll have much better lower back support too.

Total cost to build it somewhere between $200-250, not inexpensive but there's no aftermarket cowl available for the 1150 that I could find.