No Oil in Sight Glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Oil in Sight Glass

Hi - 1982 GS1100G - I have a very small engine oil leak and am waiting for the riding season to be over to change the gasket so I have been keeping a close eye on the oil level. Parked the bike after a 15 minute ride. Looked at the sight glass 10 mins later and it showed no oil. I mean zero. Left it alone for 90 mins. Checked again and still no oil. Bike ran fine and there was no indication of anything leaking more than the regular few drops. Oil pressure light functioning and turned off when cranking engine. Ran the engine a few seconds and shut off. Oil then filled up the sight glass. Anyone have any idea what happened?

Is the bike on the centerstand while checking? If not it needs to be. Anyway, what you describe sounds like the oil over the sightglass. Check oil from a cold start, run for a minute or two, shut down and watch the level as it drains back to the sump. If it goes to the top of the sightglass you have the answer.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yes. Always on the center stand. I only park it on the center stand because I am frequently checking the oil. I'm not sure you understand what I was describing. After riding, the oil didn't drain back down. It showed zero oil even after 90 mins of sitting (on the center stand). When I started it briefly and shut it off, THEN the oil came back down and showed in the glass. I can't figure out where it was hiding.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim R View Post
        I'm not sure you understand what I was describing.
        I do - oil that's so clean you don't see it, particularly if it fills the glass.

In any case, I've frequently sat on the right side of the bike and tipped it toward me to see the oil.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

No. The oil has about 1500 miles on it. It is dark brown. I promise you. The glass was empty.

Comment

What type of oil is in it? Conventional or Synthetic? Because that Synthetic oil is some mysterious stuff... 😉
            My Motorcycles:
            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
            79 1000e (all original)
            82 850g (all original)
            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Regular Quaker State 10W40

Comment

Check the API seal on the back label. If the bottom half says "Energy Conserving", drain it and put something rated for a motorcycle wet clutch in there.

Not too many 10w40 oils have that Energy Conserving rating, but they are starting to show up.

Either way, most automotive oils are not rated for use in a motorcycle, mainly because a lot of the additives that make it work in a motorcycle have been legislated out of the oil. Some are gone entirely, most are greatly reduced, either way, it's not good in a bike.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Very Peculiar,JimR! I havent got an 1100G; just a 650G and not sure how similar they are excepting the sight glass and MAYBE yours shares sump oil in the shaft's output secondary gears?...some bikes keep this oil separate, I think.

But on mine, it's a matter of not-much oil to show or not-show in the sight-glass so it's not much that's getting held somewhere..There's diagram in my manual of the oil's circulation...which might help inspire someone's idea..though, again, this isn't your bike...still, it'd have to be above the sump screen if it's getting held back and that's where my imagination ends I'm afraid...the vanes of the pump don't seem likely-they can't be such a tight fit ..the bypass? is a springpressure thing...hmmm

I hate the sightglass altogether. It's there because the design puts the clutch right under the fill hole and a straight stick can't be inserted but I wish they'd made a better effort.
                  oilcirculation-small.jpg
                  Last edited by Gorminrider; 09-30-2019, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Do you have an oil-cooler on this bike? that would do it maybe.

Comment

nope. 100% stock.

Comment

15 mins ambient temp? oil never reached correct operating temp.
                        try it with synth be amazed
                        1983 GS 550 LD
                        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I had this issue on and off with my 77 GS750. Sometimes it wouldn't show oil on the sight glass. I always made a habit of checking it 5 minutes after a ride. It would always show up then. Not sure where it went to hide, but there was always enough oil in there.
                          Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                          Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Happens on occasion to both my 1100’s and my 850. It always fills back up with an engine restart of about 30 seconds or so. My theory is that it is being held in the top of the engine some how.

V
                            Gustov
                            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                            81 GS 1000 G
                            79 GS 850 G
                            81 GS 850 L
                            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                            80 GS 550 L
                            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                            2002 Honda 919
                            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

the volume of the passages above the pump not draining back
                              a good thing probably
                              is oil light off with key on when oil is hiding? some senders are at the filter cover some behind cyl bank
                              1983 GS 550 LD
                              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
                              X