No announcement yet.

No Oil in Sight Glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My red 1100E didn't have a center stand when I bought it.
    Found a used one shortly after I got it running and legal.
    They are not hard to find, not expensive, not hard to bolt on, and very useful.

I think the 750E may use the same one?
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
      My red 1100E didn't have a center stand when I bought it.
      Ditto that. I'm sure I wouldn't have removed it if it came with one.

I'm as old as anyone, and I wouldn't try balancing the bike. I just get in the back and get to work with the paddock stand. It's a little better, I guess, being that the side stand is already on a brick, but one side contacts and lifts before the other. I guess that's why it seems to sit crookedly on the stand.

And Steve, we like you in spite of the shaft drive thing.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

kbike comes with no stand. an interesting way of getting you to realize boy racer pretensions are childish and impracticable.
        bmw does however sell the stand for an outrageous additional price..
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

When I bought my 919, the first accessory that I bought for it was a aftermarket center stand. Can’t find one for my 86 Rebel.

V
          Gustov
          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
          81 GS 1000 G
          79 GS 850 G
          81 GS 850 L
          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
          80 GS 550 L
          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
          2002 Honda 919
          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
            kbike comes with no stand. an interesting way of getting you to realize boy racer pretensions are childish and impracticable.
            bmw does however sell the stand for an outrageous additional price..
            What about Goldwings? They can't have center stands anymore, unless they're motorized. Not so ridiculous when you realize it has a reverse gear.

Did they ever have them? I rode a friend's original in 1975, but can't recall if it had a centerstand.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
              ......... I've thought about getting a paddock stand for my Kawa. .................................
              I made a crude stand for my KLR. It lifted it from the side stand quite easily, without feeling unstable. Being on a block of wood helped, but was not necessary. Could definitely raise and lower it without help. Sure made cleaning the chain a breeze.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/27Nzaok]
              Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              2003 FJR 1300A
              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                I made a crude stand for my KLR. [url=https://flic.kr/p/27Nzaok]
                Wow! Got enough leverage there?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                  Wow! Got enough leverage there?
                  Ha, yeah could've shortened that a bit. I wasn't concerned about leverage as much as having the thing flip up while I worked on the bike since the riser arms are at 90 degrees from the axle.
                  Roger

Current rides
                  1983 GS 850G
                  2003 FJR 1300A
                  Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                    ...riser arms are at 90 degrees from the axle.
                    image.jpg

Mine leans back a bit from 90 degrees. Forward, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                      What about Goldwings? They can't have center stands anymore, unless they're motorized. Not so ridiculous when you realize it has a reverse gear.

Did they ever have them? I rode a friend's original in 1975, but can't recall if it had a centerstand.
                      Goldwings have always had a centerstand. Very easy to deploy, even easier than my GS.

And, ... reverse gear won't help you get on the stand. The stand lifts the rear wheel off the ground, and it's the rear wheel that provides the motion. The stand itself has never been motorized, it doesn't need to be.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

And, I suppose, when the suspension gets a bit saggy just press the button to pump more air in, raising it up to make it easier to tip onto the stand.
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                          And, I suppose, when the suspension gets a bit saggy just press the button to pump more air in, raising it up to make it easier to tip onto the stand.
                          It actually takes two buttons, but the concept is spot on.

However, it’s easy enough without raising the suspension.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            I know I am old, slow and occasionally dense, but I just can't understand the appeal of removing a useful part of the bike, just to have to go through all these gymnastics when the need arises.

I guess it comes down to answering a few questions.
                            Q1. What is the function of the paddock stand?
                            A1. To raise the rear wheel and level the bike, likely for chain maintenance or checking oil level.

Q2. How is the paddock stand better than the original centerstand?
                            A2. It removes a few pounds of weight from the bike, giving better performance.

Q3. If you are out on a trip, where do you carry the paddock stand so you can do any maintenance?
                            A3. OK, you leave it at home, right? Now you don't have a centerstand OR a paddock stand.

There's a tool for every job.

Sportbikes are made for setting fast lap times on the track and short trips (preferably on twisty roads) due to small fuel tanks and racy ergonomics. Weight savings is everything on this style of motorcycle. As you mentioned, this style of bike doesn't normally come equipped with a centerstand anyways. So for this application, using a paddock stand makes sense because you are always near your pit area at the track or likely to be back in your own home garage by the end of the day. Not to say nobody ever tours on a sportbike, but it's not common.

Sport touring and touring bikes can justify the weight of the centerstand because you are likely going to be riding them on long overnight trips and need to be able to perform maintenance while on the road.

With practice, using a paddock or center stand becomes second nature, same as anything else.
                            Last edited by 80GS1000; 10-28-2019, 12:10 AM.
                            Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
                            2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Working...
                            X