No announcement yet.

No Oil in Sight Glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've noticed on my bike when it's on the center stand after an oil change and leak check, the oil is in between the two marks where as off the center stand though I have it standing straight up the oil level is over the full mark and just fills the sight glass. I'll tip the bike to the left just a smig and you can see the oil just above the full line. Or on the center stand and little or no oil shows. Off the center stand and it's between the lines. Gotta love that one.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I was very thankful to have the centerstand on my Z1 because it burned oil like a mother. I put it up at every destination. A good workout, at least.

My 11E didn't come with one (in 2013) and I soon learned to like it that way. More like a GSXR. Less weight. Another 'gadget' to buy - only $19 for a paddock stand.

Speaking of weight, here's a question for all you engineers, experts and assorted racers and builders: whatever it weighs (9, 10 lbs?), less is better. But the centerstand rides low and, yes, center. So, theoretically, would adding one lower the center of gravity?
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
        Speaking of weight, here's a question for all you engineers, experts and assorted racers and builders: whatever it weighs (9, 10 lbs?), less is better. But the centerstand rides low and, yes, center. So, theoretically, would adding one lower the center of gravity?
        Well, yes; but not as much as adding a 40kg lead weight.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Well,yes; but not enough anyone could tell the difference.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
            Well,yes; but not enough anyone could tell the difference.
            That's why I have no plans to add one. Less is more.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
              Yes, in the same way that putting a feather on the seat will make the bike heavier, but perceive-ably, no.
              - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
              - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Hey Rob, I've thought about getting a paddock stand for my Kawa. ZRX, I've never been around one & wondering, can I use it by myself? It looks like I would need help balancing the bike till I get it up on the paddock..
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

lots of videos on youtube. I like this one.

all stands are not created equal. here's some reviews and comparisons of stands of various qualities.
                  Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 10-25-2019, 11:45 AM.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Hey Rob, I've thought about getting a paddock stand for my Kawa. ZRX, I've never been around one & wondering, can I use it by myself? It looks like I would need help balancing the bike till I get it up on the paddock..
                    You can get any bike on a paddock stand alone. With the bike on the kickstand, you put the V shaped lifter of the stand on the sprocket side spool, stand the bike up, put the V lifter of the stand under the brake side spool, then push down on the handle of the stand and voila! rear tire is in the air.

When shopping for a paddock stand, I highly recommend the spool type as they are MUCH more stable and secure than they type with L shape lifters that go under the swingarm. You'll need to bolt on some spools onto the lugs of your swingarm.

Pitbull makes some of the best paddock stands out there. IMO don't cheap out on a stand because if it bends, fails, or your bike falls off the stand due to poor stand design, you're going to have a very bad day. Pitbull stands are made in the USA, work great, built to last, and the TIG welding on the joints/seams is amazeballs.

Last edited by 80GS1000; 10-25-2019, 11:35 AM.
                    Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
                    2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Without modifying my bike, I had to use the L-shaped lifting pads. Stand was on sale for $19.95 so I couldn't say no. Came with parts for bikes that did and didn't have the "grommets" on the axles.

Getting her up is really no problem. Centered, that's another matter.

Getting her down is the scariest part. Make sure the side stand is extended. And in my case, aimed for the brick I lean her on.

Comment

Thanks, I'd never seen it done before. On those videos it sure looks easy. I'd wondered about maybe putting something under the side stand, to hold the bike up, almost straight, then put the paddock under it. I would never try to hold the bike up straight with one hand, while using the paddock lift with the other, nope, I ain't doing it. Just give me the old simple centerstand, never know it's there till you need it, you always have it with you, you never need to find a place to store it, it's easy & simple to use by yourself with confidence, & it only adds maybe 6 or 7 lb. at the very bottom of the center of gravity. I'm fix'in to go look, a couple of yrs. ago, I read there was someone, I think in Europe, that was designing a clamp-on centerstand for the ZRX's. I want one.

Comment

Forgot to mention, I work completely alone. It's a little easier to start off with a brick under the side stand, but that's how I park mine anyway. I think it used to stand on two bricks before I replaced the front springs.

Comment

I would never try to hold the bike up straight with one hand, while using the paddock lift with the other, nope, I ain't doing it.
                            Gets easy with practice.
                            With my Triumph, (no center stand), I stand it up, balance it with my hip, and my left hand on the tail, while using my right hand to slip the stand under the swing arm, and push down.
                            With the kick stand down, if I do start to lose balance, I just use my left hand and hip to lower it on the side stand, which is exactly how I get it off the paddock stand.
                            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I know I am old, slow and occasionally dense, but I just can't understand the appeal of removing a useful part of the bike, just to have to go through all these gymnastics when the need arises.

I guess it comes down to answering a few questions.
                              Q1. What is the function of the paddock stand?
                              A1. To raise the rear wheel and level the bike, likely for chain maintenance or checking oil level.

Q2. How is the paddock stand better than the original centerstand?
                              A2. It removes a few pounds of weight from the bike, giving better performance.

Q3. If you are out on a trip, where do you carry the paddock stand so you can do any maintenance?
                              A3. OK, you leave it at home, right? Now you don't have a centerstand OR a paddock stand.

I have been to a few GSR rallies and observed at least one (former) member going through all the moves, trying to check oil level, clean the chain and yes, even adjust the chain to get it "just so". Every night. Others pitched in to help him, I just can't imagine him trying to do it by himself.

I understand that some bikes don't even come with a centerstand, so a paddock stand makes sense, but why remove a functional centerstand just so you can then have the "pleasure" of all that inconvenience.

And, yeah, this is coming from a guy who had ridden shaft-driven bikes for the last 40 years (but that's a whole 'nother discussion). I'm just trying to comprehend the whole situation, but I do appreciate the entertainment at the rallies.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yeah, I know it can't be a very big deal, or there wouldn't be so many folks using them. I've just got older enough I need to pay more attention in day to day operation, not to get off balance & I don't need to press my luck. The reasons I took the Yosh. off my "83" 1100E, was because of aggravation changing the oil & I couldn't use it with a centerstand. I miss the sound of the Yosh but the extra aggravation, to me, wasn't worth it. The V&H sounds good, but nothing else has the sound of an old Yoshi. Hey, how did we get here from oil in a sight glass???

Comment

Working...
                                X