Alternator dampers GSF/GSX etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator dampers GSF/GSX etc

Hopefully someone here has messed with the external alternators on Bandits, Katanas, GSXRs so on. I got a knocking noise at low rpms when cold and dragging the clutch. I replaced the chain and sprockets with a small change in the noise, when the noise is heard and you put your hand on the alternator you can feel the vibration in synch with the noise. Its not loud, just annoying, especially because I run a stock exhaust. Check out the video below and see if this amount of play in the gear is normal.

1981 Suzuki GS250T
    1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
    1985 Suzuki GS550E
    2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Not sure about the play, I had a car sometime ago that had an annoying chink/ noise at tick over it turned out to be two gears that ran together catching up on each other,fix was raising the tick over speed a little.
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

I got one of this style alternator....I just checked, no play. The nut that holds the gear on is staked to shaft...maybe yours came loose and is letting the bevel gear wander.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I checked the nut and it is tight and staked still. I actually ordered replacement dampers already, but I did not want to disturb the factory staking if that play was normal. Thanks for checking.
        1981 Suzuki GS250T
        1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
        1985 Suzuki GS550E
        2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

I am no sure but I believe Suzuki knew this was a problem , because the later year bikes were set up different, the did not have that big gear , they splined into a smaller gear that was about the size of a wheel bearing. The slides were mounted in rubber. I know this because my 98 GSXR 1100 tore one up one year when I went to Fla. for bike week. Happened the first day there. I had to overnight the part in from Suzuki
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Actually if it is the alternator, it was probably caused by the "lean sneeze" backfire through the intake this bike suffered with until I retuned it. Digging up what I could about this noise and the alternator I found many times where the nut actually backed off completely on some older bandits but the clutch kept the gear from coming off the shaft.
            1981 Suzuki GS250T
            1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
            1985 Suzuki GS550E
            2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Replaced the dampers in the alternator and the noise is gone. The old rubbers were worn and starting to crack. Aft I installed the new ones there was no play in the drive gear anymore. Job done.
              1981 Suzuki GS250T
              1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
              1985 Suzuki GS550E
              2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Well the noise I was fighting came back last week. The alternator is quieter now, no more rattling noise, but the main noise I was after was more of a rod knock noise. So it got bad enough this weekend that it did it when warm too and I got a chance to chase it with my mechanics stethoscope. Turns out it is the petcock. The thing has a slow vacuum leak and when at low rpm (below idle) it knocks like a loose wrist pin. I set it to prime and blocked the vacuum line, noise is gone. Who would of thunk it ??
                1981 Suzuki GS250T
                1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
                1985 Suzuki GS550E
                2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Originally posted by fbody_mike View Post
                  Well the noise I was fighting came back last week. The alternator is quieter now, no more rattling noise, but the main noise I was after was more of a rod knock noise. So it got bad enough this weekend that it did it when warm too and I got a chance to chase it with my mechanics stethoscope. Turns out it is the petcock. The thing has a slow vacuum leak and when at low rpm (below idle) it knocks like a loose wrist pin. I set it to prime and blocked the vacuum line, noise is gone. Who would of thunk it ??
                  That's an oddball one, indeed.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by fbody_mike View Post
                    Excellent detective work!
                    Certainly a new one for me as well.
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                    X