1980 GS1000 restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1000 restomod

Hey gang, I'm back at the GS1000 restomod game after a number of years away. Good to be back at the GSR! Hope everyone is well.

My old build thread starting back in 2006 is here, but now that the GSR has a Projects/Rebuilds section, thought I'd start up a new thread to share current progress on this build.

Mods include:

Engine/air/fuel/electrical
    Wiseco 1100 cc overbore piston kit
    Web Cam .395 lift camshafts
    GRC welded clutch basket w/ APE hardened clutch hub nut
    Oil pump with uprated oil pump gears for higher flow
    Dyna coils/spark plug leads
    Mikuni RS flatslide carbs
    Pingel fuel tap
    1989 GSXR 1100 4-2-1 header modified to bolt up to the GS1000 head
    Hindle 4-2-1 full exhaust system
    Electrosport stator and R/R

Suspension/brakes/controls
    2004 GSXR 1000 front end, resprung to 1.0 kg/mm Racetech springs to account for bike/rider combined weight
    Monoshock conversion with 2006 GSXR 1000 swingarm and GSXR 750 rear wheel
    520 chain conversion
    Goodridge steel braided brake lines
    GSXR rearsets

The bike as it sits now after tinkering a bit, with the addition of a Yoshimura slip-on (muffler bracket removed temporarily shown here), Earl's oil cooler and billet oil cooler takeoff, superbike bars, and Koso electronic tach/speedo/oil temperature gauge.

I've changed the rear wheel to a 2006 GSXR 750 for better chain alignment. More on that later...

Tail section is off until I get the bodywork repainted.

In order to improve aesthetics (hunched over stance due to short GSXR 1000 forks) and handling (a bit more twitchy/unstable when leaned over than I'd like so more rake & trail needed), I plan on adding about 20 mm of front ride height via some fork cap extensions for the GSXR forks.

As it so happens, the board on the ground under the front wheel is about 20 mm high so it gives a good preview of the before and after stance.

Before:

After:

Other plans for the cold weather wrenching season include:

• Adding a heavier spring for the rear shock to match the bike & rider's weight better - currently too soft
    • Fixing the leaky oil pan
    • Getting the chain run perfect. I've mocked up a 2006 GSXR 750 rear wheel in the pics above to help in the effort to get the chain run straight. I was using a 2005 GSXR 750 rear wheel before and had to machine the sprocket carrier and cut down the cush drive rubbers to get the chain in the ballpark of alignment. The 06 750 rear wheel is narrower than the 05 at the hub & sprocket by about 5-6 mm without modification. Once I shim the 5/8" offset front sprocket, I hope that the chain alignment will be perfect.
    • Adding a wideband oxygen sensor & gauge (Dynojet Wideband 2) to truly dial in the RS flatslide carburetors
    • Paint and bodywork - needs a respray and the dent pulled out of the left side of the tank () after a 0 MPH tipover. Case covers need to be either resprayed or powdercoated. Currently leaning toward a GS1000S style paintjob but in darker, solid blue on top of the tank & tail.

Paint will be somewhere along these lines:

Stay tuned...
    Last edited by 80GS1000; 08-20-2020, 12:37 PM.
    Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
    2006 GSXR 750

I see you've added a sprocket cover since you let me ride it up Rose Mtn....
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      I see you've added a sprocket cover since you let me ride it up Rose Mtn....
      Hard to ride a bike with your left toes missing, so I've heard.
      Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
      2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Very true that!
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Very nice work! Have you ever converted a bike to vintage racing spec?
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
            Very nice work! Have you ever converted a bike to vintage racing spec?
            I haven't. Have you? I need to get out to the AHRMA round at UMC next year and check out all the vintage racebikes.
            Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
            2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Not yet, but my 1990 Katana 750 track bike is eligible for Next Gen Superbike, 1982-1992 bikes.
              Considered bikes for Vintage Superbike, light, medium and heavy 1972-1982.
              I'm close enough to do 4 AHRMA races in the Midwest.
              Thinking about it.
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                Not yet, but my 1990 Katana 750 track bike is eligible for Next Gen Superbike, 1982-1992 bikes.
                Considered bikes for Vintage Superbike, light, medium and heavy 1972-1982.
                I'm close enough to do 4 AHRMA races in the Midwest.
                Thinking about it.
                Any pics? Sounds sweet!
                Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
                2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                  Hard to ride a bike with your left toes missing, so I've heard.
                  It is! I've been riding for almost twenty years now with a partial left foot amputation from a stunting accident where the bike came over and the engine case landed on my foot while dragging me down the road. Everything from behind the ball of my foot forward is gone. I have to wear a prosthetic now and it makes things more difficult but most people don't even know I have it because I have learned to walk in a way that conceals the fact I have it. I have limited range of motion because I have to wear a stiff boot and I can't feel what I'm doing because there's nothing there where my toes ought to be. Riding sometimes I need to use my heel to shift up which can be awkward and I get missed shifts, but I'm here to tell you it can be done! lol

Never stop riding. If it wasn't so expensive, when my time is up, I'd get buried sitting on top of my bike.
                  1983 GS750ES WITH UNI PODS, 4-1 KERKER
                  We can rebuild her. We have the technology.

Comment

I love this bike btw. I'd like those mods on mine.
                    1983 GS750ES WITH UNI PODS, 4-1 KERKER
                    We can rebuild her. We have the technology.

Comment

Originally posted by EDGECRUSHER View Post
                      It is! I've been riding for almost twenty years now with a partial left foot amputation from a stunting accident where the bike came over and the engine case landed on my foot while dragging me down the road. Everything from behind the ball of my foot forward is gone. I have to wear a prosthetic now and it makes things more difficult but most people don't even know I have it because I have learned to walk in a way that conceals the fact I have it. I have limited range of motion because I have to wear a stiff boot and I can't feel what I'm doing because there's nothing there where my toes ought to be. Riding sometimes I need to use my heel to shift up which can be awkward and I get missed shifts, but I'm here to tell you it can be done! lol

Never stop riding. If it wasn't so expensive, when my time is up, I'd get buried sitting on top of my bike.

Wow, impressive that you have been able to keep riding with that injury! Much respect!
                      Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
                      2006 GSXR 750

Comment

There is a member here in California who shifts a 79 850G with a prosthetic leg. She has a heel & toe shifter fitted & carries a hook to lift the sidestand. Says the hardest part is starting off, getting the bike leaned right & stable on her good leg to lift the stand.... Has disabled plates on it too
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                          There is a member here in California who shifts a 79 850G with a prosthetic leg. She has a heel & toe shifter fitted & carries a hook to lift the sidestand. Says the hardest part is starting off, getting the bike leaned right & stable on her good leg to lift the stand.... Has disabled plates on it too
                          That's awesome. We have a rider at our local track who was paralyzed while racing bikes in 1994 - and is still fast as hell. I've had the honor of being passed by him numerous times on track days. Nothing but the utmost respect to those who live their lives to the fullest regardless of their injuries.
                          Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
                          2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                            Hey gang, I'm back at the GS1000 restomod game after a number of years away. Good to be back at the GSR! Hope everyone is well.

My old build thread starting back in 2006 is here, but now that the GSR has a Projects/Rebuilds section, thought I'd start up a new thread to share current progress on this build.

Mods include:

Engine/air/fuel/electrical
                            Wiseco 1100 cc overbore piston kit
                            Web Cam .395 lift camshafts
                            GRC welded clutch basket w/ APE hardened clutch hub nut
                            Oil pump with uprated oil pump gears for higher flow
                            Dyna coils/spark plug leads
                            Mikuni RS flatslide carbs
                            Pingel fuel tap
                            1989 GSXR 1100 4-2-1 header modified to bolt up to the GS1000 head
                            Electrosport stator and R/R

Suspension/brakes/controls
                            2004 GSXR 1000 front end, resprung to 1.0 kg/mm Racetech springs to account for bike/rider combined weight
                            Monoshock conversion with 2006 GSXR 1000 swingarm and GSXR 750 rear wheel
                            520 chain conversion
                            Goodridge steel braided brake lines
                            GSXR rearsets

I've changed the rear wheel to a 2006 GSXR 750 for better chain alignment. More on that later...
                            How similar is the frame of the 80GS to a 84 1150E? I'm curious as to how difficult the suspension conversion was, was it a straight swap or require minor mods? Up to now I've only been looking at early 90's GSXR for a suspension swap I didn't think the 2000s Gsxr's were in play.
                            I've similar plans for my 84 but at this point I'm still gathering data in order to know what parts/donor bikes I'm looking for.
                            Fork length is a definite problem.
                            1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Totally different.... It's very close to the GS750ES though & I fitted a 5.5" wheel using the stock swinger (slightly stretched & 170 tyre). The more common swap is a 4.5" wheel & a 160

GS Rally July 2010 Drew 033 by salty_monk, on Flickr

GS Rally July 2010 Drew 027 by salty_monk, on Flickr
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Working...
                              X