No announcement yet.

1980 GS1000 restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it was me.... I'd put the covers on, source a gold link chain, make sure the rear caliper matched & run the gold Suzuki case badges.

The gold forks highlight it for what it is for me.. A restomod.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Cosmetics

Here's a quick mockup in Photoshop (I'm no PS expert, go easy ) of the new blue/white color scheme including the side panels and blacking out the forks. I tried including the gold forks but it's still just too bling blingy with the gold. I may black out the front calipers as well.

The tail is still off the bike but will be included in the finished product with a fender eliminator. Thoughts?

Before:

Last edited by 80GS1000; 10-29-2019, 04:02 PM.
      Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
      2006 GSXR 750

Comment

3D printing

A friend was kind enough to turn my CAD drawing for the sprocket side spacer needed for proper chain/wheel alignment into a prototype 3D printed plastic spacer. I can use this spacer to mock things up before getting the spacer machined from metal.

Making a spacer on the 3D printer:

A couple of spacers almost done:

Spacer installed in the sprocket carrier for testing. Also picked up a new rear sprocket, front offset sprocket and new chain.

Chain alignment looks good with this prototype spacer:

Last edited by 80GS1000; 10-29-2019, 05:42 PM.
        Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
        2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Spacer if finished, heading to the post office at noon. Hopefully you get it Saturday. 👍
          My Motorcycles:
          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
          79 1000e (all original)
          82 850g (all original)
          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
            Spacer if finished, heading to the post office at noon. Hopefully you get it Saturday. 
            Thank you very much!
            Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
            2006 GSXR 750

Comment

A bit of minor surgery was begun tonight to extract the rear K5/K6 GSXR 1000 shock from the swingarm and frame.

For better handling and to account for combined rider/bike weight, the plan is to replace the too-soft 8.1 kg/mm stock shock spring with a more appropriate 9.8 kg/mm Racetech rear spring. The rear shock will be serviced too with fresh oil and nitrogen.

The Racetech shock springs look trick in blue:

Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
              2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Storm 64 came through with a very nicely machined 7075-T6 sprocket side spacer per my specs. Much appreciated! Can't wait to try it out once I can reassemble the rear suspension when the rear shock comes back from the shop for service/respringing.

Left to right - 3D printed spacer, storm 64's spacer, and the stock Suzuki spacer.

Last edited by 80GS1000; 11-07-2019, 01:06 PM.
                Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
                2006 GSXR 750

Comment

The rear shock was serviced with new seals, oil, and nitrogen. A 9.8 kg/mm Eibach shock spring was installed to match the rider/bike combined weight and reduce squat when accelerating out of corners.

The shock has been reinstalled, along with a new DID ERV3 520 pitch chain, a 520 pitch 17 tooth 5/8" offset front PBI Sprockets front sprocket, a Vortex (made here in Utah ) 48 tooth rear 520 sprocket, and a new to me 2006 GSXR 750 rear wheel sporting a Bridgestone S21 180/55/17 tire.

Sprocket/chain alignment appear to be good with the custom spacer provided by Storm 64.

To improve engine warm-up time and to keep oil temperature consistent while using an oil cooler, a 215 degree oil thermostat has been installed with Earl's fittings.

Last edited by 80GS1000; 11-21-2019, 03:24 PM.
                  Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
                  2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Nice.. I like the idea of the thermostat on the cooler
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                      Nice.. I like the idea of the thermostat on the cooler
                      After some test riding this summer with the oil cooler shown, I think the thermostat is a requirement since overcooling the oil is just as harmful as overheating the oil.

It took ages for the oil temp to crack the 200 degree mark while using the cooler without a thermostat. Hoping the thermostat will get the oil into the operating temperature range much faster.

With the cooler, the peak oil temperature with this engine was around 240 degrees when stopped in traffic and cruising oil temperatures were in the 210-230 degree range.
                      Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
                      2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Not much done over the winter on the bike, but spring has sprung here so it's time to get back to work on this project.

NOS oil pan and gasket to replace the 40 year old leaky original:

Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
                        2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Nice... riding time!
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

I haven't posted an update in a while - so here goes.

Hindle full system has been installed and it's a kick in the pants in terms of power. Much broader powerband than the previous header and a noticeable increase in torque too. Sounds/looks good as a bonus.

A MotogpWerks fender eliminator is also on the bike now too to clean up the tail section looks.

And last but not least....I sent out the bodywork to get painted today.

Here's a PS mockup of the paint:

Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
                            2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Not a criticism by any means just a suggestion but i would make the blue section on the tail a bit wider or split it into two sections. Just something to bring it over the rounded edge a bit. It breaks up the large white panel in the side view.
                              I have the same look on my bike and wish the coloured stripe was wider.

2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                                Not a criticism by any means just a suggestion but i would make the blue section on the tail a bit wider or split it into two sections. Just something to bring it over the rounded edge a bit. It breaks up the large white panel in the side view.
                                I have the same look on my bike and wish the coloured stripe was wider.

Interesting idea Steve. Have you ever Photoshopped your bike's tail to see what it would look like with wider red sections?
                                Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
                                2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Working...
                                X