New River Gorge Bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New River Gorge Bridge

I'm planning on riding out to West Virginia next weekend for my only big trip for this year and wanted to see if anyone could answer this one question that my Basecamp map software just can't figure out. Is it possible to ride the entire way along Fayette Station Road from US19 on the Beckley side to the other side of the bridge? Basecamp keeps trying to take me back out to US19 instead of just staying on the road. From what I have seen in some other posts it is possible but i want to be sure before I get there.
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Used to be the way, but it has been a long time since I have been on that stretch of road. Googlemaps says you can still do it.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

The old bridge is still there and you can take a one way gravel road full of switchbacks down the Gorge and cross the river and go up the other side. You can get a close up view of some of the massive supports for the big bridge from below.
      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

It's possible, but it's only one way. From the north/east side of the bridge, by the Visitor Center, you can go down the switchbacks to the river, then back up the other side toward Fayetteville. It's all blacktop, as of last year, but some of the parking lot pull-offs might be hard-packed gravel. The three of us were there last year and had absolutely NO problems on the road. Just remember it's a SCENIC road, not a race track.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
          The old bridge is still there and you can take a one way gravel road full of switchbacks down the Gorge and cross the river and go up the other side. You can get a close up view of some of the massive supports for the big bridge from below.
          That was blacktopped when I was last there.

Anyhow I'm jealous of anyone going for a ride in WV.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            It's possible, but it's only one way. From the north/east side of the bridge, by the Visitor Center, you can go down the switchbacks to the river, then back up the other side toward Fayetteville. It's all blacktop, as of last year, but some of the parking lot pull-offs might be hard-packed gravel. The three of us were there last year and had absolutely NO problems on the road. Just remember it's a SCENIC road, not a race track.

Thank you Steve. I adjusted the route in Basecamp and it's much cleaner looking.

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
            That was blacktopped when I was last there.

Anyhow I'm jealous of anyone going for a ride in WV.
            You're more than welcome to join me if you'd like Dale. I leave early Sunday morning (~9am) and plan to be back Tuesday
            sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
              I leave early Sunday morning (~9am) ...
              OK, which is it? Are you leaving early Sunday morning or are you leaving at 9am?

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Hey Cowboy, get a hold of Bwringer, he may still have some maps of the aria. I remember chasing Brian and Dale all around the New River area during my first GSR rally.(2012) I don't remember any of the routes we were on, I was just trying to keep up somewhat! Glad you're able to get out to enjoy them new tires. 👍
                My Motorcycles:
                22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                79 1000e (all original)
                82 850g (all original)
                80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                  Thank you Steve. I adjusted the route in Basecamp and it's much cleaner looking.

You're more than welcome to join me if you'd like Dale. I leave early Sunday morning (~9am) and plan to be back Tuesday
                  Believe me, I'd love to. If I had more notice, I'd have seriously considered putting in for the time off.

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                  Hey Cowboy, get a hold of Bwringer, he may still have some maps of the aria. I remember chasing Brian and Dale all around the New River area during my first GSR rally.(2012) I don't remember any of the routes we were on, I was just trying to keep up somewhat! Glad you're able to get out to enjoy them new tires. 
                  I think that was the first time I met you. You were riding some kind of Beemer, right?
                  Dogma
                  --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    OK, which is it? Are you leaving early Sunday morning or are you leaving at 9am?

Both. I get up early enough that I could be out of the house by 7am but move slow enough it will probably be 9am
                    sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                      Believe me, I'd love to. If I had more notice, I'd have seriously considered putting in for the time off.
                      Sorry about that; I only confirmed I could do it over the weekend and since I already have Monday off for the holiday I just had to take off Tuesday to give me a little extra time.
                      sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Holiday? Google Google. Huh. Columbus day. I've never had that one off.
                        Dogma
                        --

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Scott works for the Gub'mint.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                          X