No announcement yet.

Norwegian 1979 GS500E restoration.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sanded down my sidecovers and ducktail and then painted them. video below, click the image to see the video on flickr.

IMG_1447 by Kenneth H, on Flickr

Comment

Looking good - I'm in the process of doing mine. I hope they turn out as well as yours!
      1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
        Looking good - I'm in the process of doing mine. I hope they turn out as well as yours!
        Thanks, not so much in painting it to get a good result but the pre work done, like sanding etc.

i have yet to do the gas tank. Much more work on that one than these. I guess i will have to spend the whole next weekend just prepping it.

Comment

I'm envious of your painting skills. Just prepping and painting the rear caliper was an entire weekend ordeal for me.

Your bike will look so smooth.
          GS1000G 1981

Comment

Better brakes
            B1798E93-72ED-4312-8D49-AB68771AC49F by Kenneth H, on Flickr

48EA4769-EC11-432D-915E-F5D287521CDB by Kenneth H, on Flickr

6248B4F7-2A57-4623-945D-0E97CA7160F9 by Kenneth H, on Flickr

Comment

Is the brake disks original and caliper different or is both new?
              GS1000G 1981

Comment

Both are new

You haven't read the Salty_Monk Twinpot upgrade thread in Performance?

Kenny, proceed carefully. It is possible to lock the front wheel in a panic stop, so get used to all of that power
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                  Both are new

Kenny, proceed carefully. It is possible to lock the front wheel in a panic stop, so get used to all of that power
                  I have skimmed it, but decided it was something I'd look into at a later time. I have not have trouble with the brakes (except for the rear brakes after I changed the fluid and pads and rotor). The brakes aren't that bad.
                  GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
                    Is the brake disks original and caliper different or is both new?
                    Ninja calipers, cbr600 f4 rotors, Salty conversionkit.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                      Both are new

it brakes good. However the frontbrakes are soft to squeeze. Wondering if either the brake lines are to old and give in or the brake cylinder might be bad.

Comment

Get those brake lines changed! They're 35+ years overdue. You'll notice the difference.
                        1980 GS550ET

Comment

Steel braided brake lines needed
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

If those are the original brake lines, then ditch them pronto and get something decent on there.
                            I see "30,79" on one of them - not sure if that means Week 30, 1979 or not. Well past their renewal date anyway.
                            If the lever is still spongy after renewing the lines and everything is properly bled, then attend to the master cylinder. If there's too much travel the m/cyl is likely a bit small for the calipers. There's also the problem of lost motion if the calipers have excessive wear, play or float in them - that severely affects the feel of the lever, and in turn, your safety.
                            ---- Dave
                            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Not much being done. Barely driven it this year. Headlight and rearlight died when I drove it one time and i just put the bike away. I think i need to do a proper restoration on it and tear it all apart into bits and pieces. It deserves it i reckon.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X