Finally Returned to West Virginia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally Returned to West Virginia

Three years ago, on a ride to the Blue Ridge Parkway, I forgot to put my side stand up after a stop and wrecked 7 miles outside of Elkins, West Virginia. Ever since then, I looked for opportunities to return to the wonderful roads I saw there but other responsibilities always cropped up. So, when I sat down to figure out what I would do for the Columbus Day weekend, it was easy to choose the West Virginia area for the ride. Unfortunately, a semi short-notice “honey-do” list meant I couldn’t leave until Sunday and so I had to take a day of leave for Tuesday instead of just using the full three-day weekend like I wanted.

My route took me to Beckley for the first night using West Virginia state highways 3 and 10 as well various county and township roads. I’m very happy I rode on highway 10 in its current condition as they are working to straighten out the last five or six miles into Huntington. Later, on one of the last roads that fed into Beckley, I encountered hairpin switchbacks so tight that even riding at 5 MPH seemed to be too fast as I feathered the clutch to get around them. But they only added to the smiles when I finally got to the bottom as they didn’t scare me as much as what came next. I had come out a curve into a short straightaway when I saw an outline of something at the edge of the road. I am sure glad I have good brakes as I realized it was a deer just as it stepped out in front of me less than 100 feet or so away.

When I left the hotel the next morning on my way to the New River Gorge bridge, it was cold enough that I had to turn the grip heaters on. Fortunately, it warmed up enough by the time I got to the bridge to really enjoy the scenery, even with the steam floating on top of the water. I then made my way south to Princeton and back north through West Hamlin over more fun roads seeing wonderful sites, cursing tractor trailer drivers who have no business on very small back roads, and noticing the effects of those who want to demonize the livelihoods of the towns along Coal Heritage road. After almost 11 hours, I made it back to Huntington and checked into the hotel just as it was getting dark.

Tuesday found me looking for a mom and pop restaurant for breakfast that Google said was open but my GPS couldn’t find. Despite dealing with very heavy fog from the Ohio River, I arrived at the intersection only to find the restaurant closed and for sale. Thanks Google. After finding another place to eat, I crossed into Ohio and turned north on OH-243 and again more twisty county and township roads. It was here I finally discovered the true power of the Bandit when I rounded another switchback only to find the incline to be steeper than I had first thought. Although I was in third gear, the bike accelerated up it very strongly and added another smile to an already fun trip.

There were a couple of other highlights on the trip besides the Bridge. Waterfalls intrigue me and so on Sunday I rode by a sign that made me quickly turn around. Drawdy Falls is one of those that are hard to find at first despite being right next to the road. This was mainly because the parking lot is across the road from it and what signage is there isn’t very descriptive. It is small but still very pretty and is the location of an old Indian Burial site.

When I find a good road that I’m really riding well on, it gets hard to want to stop for any sightseeing. However, I am glad I had to stop in at a park on my way back Monday to use the facilities instead of waiting for the next gas station. That’s because I came across a structure that turned out to be an old furnace built back in the 1800s. Named for the famous volcano, Vesuvius Iron Furnace was used to melt the iron ore for making cannons and other necessities. You can learn more from this website - https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/wayne...id=fsm9_006044

I am really hoping we’ll have an easy winter so I can make another trip out that way for the roads and scenery.
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Some Pictures

Drawdy Falls

Drawdy Falls by Scott Baker, on Flickr

And the stream from it

Drawdy Falls Stream by Scott Baker, on Flickr

The bridge

New River Gorge Bridge by Scott Baker, on Flickr

The rapids below it

New River Gorge Rapids by Scott Baker, on Flickr

And the river from the other side

New River Gorge by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Steam from the river

Steam from New River by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Sewell Mountain

Sewell Mountain by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Sewell Mountain Campaign by Scott Baker, on Flickr
    sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Blue Sulphur Springs

Blue Sulpher Springs Pavilion by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Blue Sulpher Springs Pavilion Sign by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Blue Sulpher Springs stream by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Bluestone Dam

Bluestone Dam from Bridge by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Bluestone Dam by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Vesuvius Iron Furnace

Vesuvius Iron Furnace by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Furnace Sign by Scott Baker, on Flickr

And part of Vesuvius Lake behind the earth dam

Lake Vesuvius Earthen Dam by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Lake Vesuvius from pier by Scott Baker, on Flickr
      sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

And all 867 miles of twisty fun

Miamisburg OH to Beckley WV by Scott Baker, on Flickr
        sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Seems like you found some nice roads
          and some interesting places to stop and see
          And avoided some bad incidents.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Sounds like a great ride Cowboy! I'm glad you were able to make it out. Kind of makes up for being sidelined this past summer. I bet you were loving them new tires! 👍
            My Motorcycles:
            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
            79 1000e (all original)
            82 850g (all original)
            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Scott, looks like you had a good time. Beautiful pics as well.
              Hard to believe that its already been three years since you crashed. Glad that this one went well.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

A trip with no problems?

Something is definitely wrong.

Go back and try again.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Oh I intend to
                  sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                    Oh I intend to
                    Scott, Scott, Scott...
                    You hardly touched upon the really great twisty roads of WV in that trip/route! It gets EVEN BETTER! WAY BETTER!

Route 60/16 east of Gauley Bridge to Hawk's Nest or following 16 south from 60 is fantastic as you may likely know...
                    Rt 61 aka Deepwater Mountain Rd from Deep Water to Kincaid is FANTASTIC nearby there. Coal City Rd down to Odd Rd is simply INCREDIBLE for those 5 miles.
                    WV-47 out of Parkersburg to WV-16 South at Smythville to Fayetteville is FANTASTIC, the only best backroads route to the Fayetteville/Beckley area. 16 isn't anything special from Fayetteville through Oak Hill & Beckley (lots of city congestion past Fayetteville). South of Coal City Rd, 16 gets good. South of Welch, 16 (aka "the Head of the Dragon") gets INCREDIBLE, then into Virginia, 16 gets PHENOMENAL from Tazewell/Thompson Valley to Marion, aka The Back of the Dragon.

East of the New River Gorge, WV15, WV20, WV39, US219, WV66, Back Mountain Rd, etc are phenomenal... In the northeast corner NE of Snowshoe Mtn / Rt 66 / Back Mtn Rd, the BIG mountains of the Monongahela National Forest area (Ridge & Valley Geographical Province of the Appalachians) are INCREDIBLE scenery, & US33 Harman WV to Hinton VA is AMAZING, WORLD CLASS! US250 is almost comparable US219 to Monterey or Staunton VA. Smoke Hole Rd is INCREDIBLY SCENIC, & then on the northern jogged portion up on the mountainside, is one of the TIGHTEST TWISTIEST roads in the state. Incredible. World Class. Sugar Grove Rd to Reddish Knob Rd to Reddish Knob Spur Rd & overlook is nice & very scenic...

Southern WV south of Beckley has many other gems as well, which I have more exploring to do at!
                    Search for an (Yamaha) FJR Owners of Dual Sports group ride trip mapped routes collection from several years ago called "FODS Invades Southern West Virginia" - and save copies of the paved routes to your Google My Maps account, with particular attention to the "Southern Twisties Loop" & the Back of the Dragon...
                    Incredible riding. Get back out there ASAP! Just not during deer rut mating season or winter!
                    Last edited by Chuck78; 11-19-2019, 04:51 AM.
                    '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                    '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                    '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                    '79 GS425stock
                    PROJECTS:
                    '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                    '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                    '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                    '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                    '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

I very much intend to as long as I don’t try any roller skating next year
                      sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Great ride Scott. My company has a facility in Kenova. I annually have to drive out there for various reasons. EVERY time, I wish I rode my bike. Usually have to bring out a trunk full of equipment, and don't have a hitch on my dam car. I'll get out there on it one of these times. Be nice to take a week to just go get lost a lot, lol.
                        '83 GS 1100T
                        The Jet

sigpic
                        '95 GSXR 750w
                        The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Working...
                        X