My Gs850 project bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Gs850 project bike

Hi everyone, I recently purchased a pretty rough condition 850 shaft drive from my cousin for $100. The bike has been sitting since 2018 and basically before being unused it had two issues that needed addressed. 1. The engine was leaking oil from somewhere probably a gasket or two. 2. The charging system wasn’t doing it’s job. The previous owner installed a battery tender that was used while not being ridden.

ive ridden it a few times in 2016 and it had good power and fun to ride.

This past week I replaced the fuel lines because it was leaking gas. After doing that , still leaking gas, from the left and right carb outlets (overflow lines) and asked a mechanic friend who told me the float bowls are stuck, causing the gas to leak/unable to start. (I got it to start the day I brought it back, but then it stopped cause the float bowls)

im gonna be gone for 6 months for army ng basic training/ait November 13th but hopefully before I leave I can get the rust out of the gas tank and probably replace the fuel petcock(should I just buy new oem?) because I’m pretty sure it’s not working properly.. and clean the carbs to stop theoverflow gas leak.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BlackThunder; 10-16-2019, 05:58 PM.

This is is the regulator on the bottom of the battery, not sure if this is a suitable model for the GS850. if anyone is familiar with this R/R model

Comment

Welcome to the forum. The 850 is a great bike. Can you insert the picture of the R/R using the insert image button? Attachments don't seem to work here.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
      1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

A4D41F72-7134-477A-8DF5-AD39A946DBFC.jpg

Regulator rm-s1002e 3062-cn
        Last edited by BlackThunder; 10-16-2019, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Plenty of info here on charging, it's the GS's achilles heal. Ideally you want a series RR & make sure your stator is outputting enough AC volts on each leg. You need to get it running first.... Get a new petcock, clean your carbs & put new Orings in from Cycle Orings (Member on here).

There is a "How to" for both carb types but you're looking for the CV type
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

From the picture in the first post, it appears to be an '81 850L.

You do NOT have any 'overflow' tubes on the carbs. Those are VENT hoses. If you have gas dripping from them, do NOT crank the engine over with the electric starter. Pull the spark plugs, put some rags over the plug holes and bump the starter VERY carefully in VERY short bursts. You probably have some gas in one or more cylinders, you don't want to experience hydro-lock.

Next will be to rebuild the carbs. It's not terribly hard, if you follow the tutorial, but you DO have to pay attention to details. There are chemicals involved, along with a few tools that might not be found in every household garage. If you don't feel up to doing them yourself, there are a few of us that will be happy to do them for you.

Can't tell much about that R/R, but we would recommend changing it anyway. A newer-design series-style unit from a Polaris UTV or a Sea-Doo is a great upgrade. It is a Shindengen SH775. Rather pricey if purchased new, but used ones are usually available off crashed machines for a reasonable price.

A rusty tank is not going to be fun to clean but it's possible. If it comes to the point of getting a replacement, '81-'83 850GL, 81 1000GL or '82/'83 1100GL will work. A new petcock is highly recommended, OEM is best.

And you may as well check the valve clearance while you are at it. Another project that is not difficult, but needs attention to detail. Yes, there is a tutorial for that, too.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the helpful information. I was searching for the SH755 and prices seemed to be about 100 new on ebay, 190 on babbits.com and this one is 33 used (couldn't find many used ones) Is this the correct regulator in the link, wanna be positive before I buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackThunder View Post
                Thanks for the helpful information. I was searching for the SH755 and prices seemed to be about 100 new on ebay, 190 on babbits.com and this one is 33 used (couldn't find many used ones) Is this the correct regulator in the link, wanna be positive before I buy it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-RAN...dnnss#viTabs_0
                That PROBABLY is the real deal. It certainly looks the part. Ask the seller to see the manufacturer's stamp on top of the top fin. like this:

In white, you should see SH775AA (the AA may not be AA) they used different letters on SeaDoo and Polaris machines.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by BlackThunder View Post

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-RAN...dnnss#viTabs_0
                  I am hoping that SH755 is just a typo on your part?
                  Make sure the proper markings are on the SH775 you do eventually find.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

0D3D3E14-29DD-4745-B079-D3A735528996.jpg

eBay seller sent me this picture. Guess it’s the real deal.

Comment

for $33, buy it now. For the connections, I think Triumph still has the best deal and you don't have to put the wires into the terminals, it's already done. just cut the plugs off the ends you don't need, keep the wires and plugs that go into the SH775. Something like this. http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/...SABEgIaGPD_BwE
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        From the picture in the first post, it appears to be an '81 850L.

You do NOT have any 'overflow' tubes on the carbs. Those are VENT hoses. If you have gas dripping from them, do NOT crank the engine over with the electric starter. Pull the spark plugs, put some rags over the plug holes and bump the starter VERY carefully in VERY short bursts. You probably have some gas in one or more cylinders, you don't want to experience hydro-lock.

I pulled the plugs, put some rags over the holes and bumped the starter a few times... spark plugs smell like gas and the rags do too. Is this all I have to do for right now to prevent that hydro-lock? I only bumped the starter a few times, is that enough?

Comment

Since you had gas coming out the vent hoses, it was apparent that you had WAY too much gas in there. It is quite likely that some of it may have found its way into a combustion chamber via an open intake valve. If you had turned the engine over with some gas in the cylinder, there is a chance that you could cause some damage trying to compress it. Removing the plugs and spinning the engine would blow all the liquid out, so you should be safe. Don't forget to change the oil and filter before running the engine. It is also possible that the gas that made it into the cylinder also made it past the rings, straight into the crankcase, diluting the oil.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

25F9E9FC-021E-4796-8C28-6844B6928EA7.jpg

Photo of stuff under the gas tank. Pretty sure there is supposed to be a hose on this air box connecting to the other arrow.
                            should I get an oem hose or can I buy some hose at the auto store?

Comment

993CD574-3818-42EC-B6B4-9875E2693FFF.jpg

Starter solenoid

Comment

Working...
                              X