No announcement yet.

My Gs850 project bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle was at 12.4, 5000 rpm at 12.6, idle again at 12.3, off voltage again was 12.4

Ive also got a battery tender that I need to install but if I need to get a new battery to get accurate results I'll wait to put it on.
    Last edited by BlackThunder; 05-17-2020, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Having some trouble putting this seat cover on. I don't think I have nearly enough foam for this cover. It was close, but maybe I have a slightly different seat. Anyone have any options on what I can do about this?
      Untitled by David Torres, on FlickrUntitled by David Torres, on Flickr
      Untitled by David Torres, on Flickr

Comment

Today I took off the exhaust. It has smoke coming from under the engine where the replaceable "connectors" sometimes degrade over time.
        The main reason I took it off is to get good access to the oil filter cover studs because I need to replace those. I am thinking about buying a new exhaust system because I figure the time it would take to polish and buy 4 replacement exhaust connector pieces (about $25 a piece) it would be a pain. I also practiced some polishing of the engine head cover caps and getting decent results, not sure if I will polish the engine side covers though because that might be a ton of work when I would be just as happy with painting them.

Comment

So I'd like to get my motorcycle riding reliably on the road as fast as possible, so I've decided to outsource a lot of the things I need done, such as..

1. Forks serviced by bike shop
          2. Seat cover by local upholster
          3. frame powder coated(haven't looked into price on this)
          4. gas tank & side covers (missing left currently) bondo/paint by auto body friend
          5. delkevic exhaust install (myself)
          6. rebuild carbs again (myself)

Now for the most important part of the rebuild, the engine leak. not sure how much this will cost but I feel like the most efficient thing to do would be to have whatever gaskets are leaking replaced by a bike shop.

Comment

Took out the oil filter studs and also checked the stator/rotor area looks like some damage Untitled by David Torres, on Flickr

Untitled by David Torres, on FlickrUntitled by David Torres, on Flickr
            Untitled by David Torres, on Flickr

Comment

What do you guys honestly think? Is it worth fixing or should I buy a new bike.

Comment

Worth fixing is relative. Looking back through this thread this bike has done nothing but frustrate you, cost you a bunch of money, and has given you no joy. I hate to give up on anything but geez, if it were me, I might let it go.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

You have a lot of sweat equity and parts money invested already. Unfortunately, it isn't really worth much more than you paid for it. If you have the money to buy a turn key bike, maybe you should. I have to say you have done pretty well with this one so far. You have listened to good advice and used your head. Most people pursue a short cut, but there isn't one.
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                  X