2006 GSXR 750 engine build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2006 GSXR 750 engine build

Thought you guys might enjoy this. I built a 2006 GSXR 750 engine from scratch last winter.

Pics here: https://www.facebook.com/paul.johnso...8345259&type=3
    Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
    2006 GSXR 750

Interesting to see the tech improvements in Suzuki engines since the GS series.
    Amazing piston design in particular. Are the camshafts hollow?
    Thanks for posting!
    BiL
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
      Interesting to see the tech improvements in Suzuki engines since the GS series.
      Amazing piston design in particular. Are the camshafts hollow?
      Thanks for posting!
      BiL
      The more you look at modern sportbike engines the more you realize they are like mini Formula race car engines - capable of revving to 16K RPM reliably and making huge HP numbers for their size. This 750 cc engine makes 150 crank HP. Modern literbikes are making 200+ crank HP stock.

The engineering and manufacturing/machining to make this happen is nothing short of amazing. Weight savings is everything in these designs to reduce inertial resistance, from the short skirt pistons to the hollow camshafts to the stock titanium valves. I was so impressed with the design of all the components when assembling this engine.
      Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
      2006 GSXR 750

Comment

I have a 92 GSXR 1127 in my steel framed GSXF Katana track bike, and it's about impossible to get the dry weight below 450lb. It's not the steel frame, it's all the steel in the engine that's making it heavy.
        Did you weigh the engine with starter & stater together? I'd like to compare the weight to my 1990 750cc engine.
        Guy Martin said he could pick up a 2K GSXR1000 engine, but the older 1100 was a 2 man lift.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

I have a 92 GSXR 1127 in my steel framed GSXF Katana track bike, and it's about impossible to get the dry weight below 450lb. It's not the steel frame, it's all the steel in the engine that's making it heavy.
          Did you weigh the engine with starter & stater together? I'd like to compare the weight to my 1990 750cc engine.
          Guy Martin said he could pick up a 2K GSXR1000 engine, but the older 1100 was a 2 man lift.
          The 06/07 GSXR 600/750 engines weigh around 150 pounds.
          Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
          2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Guy's a weedy Brit, lol. The early 16v roller crank 1100 used to be a one man lift for me when I had a shop. Not now. The GSXR1100 still is a one man lift. Late GSXR1000's which I still see are a one man lift. The RC30 I've just done is marginal, I wouldn't like to lift it off the floor.
            The early GSXR1100 racebike we ran for some time was around 370lb dry. We used fiberglass seat and a smaller alloy tank on that as well as a lightweight wiring harness with no starter. Marvic mags too. I think you'd be surprised at the difference between the alloy GSXR chassis and your steel Katana. There's a lot you can do to take wight off what you've got now.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
              Guy's a weedy Brit, lol. The early 16v roller crank 1100 used to be a one man lift for me when I had a shop. Not now. The GSXR1100 still is a one man lift. Late GSXR1000's which I still see are a one man lift. The RC30 I've just done is marginal, I wouldn't like to lift it off the floor.
              The early GSXR1100 racebike we ran for some time was around 370lb dry. We used fiberglass seat and a smaller alloy tank on that as well as a lightweight wiring harness with no starter. Marvic mags too. I think you'd be surprised at the difference between the alloy GSXR chassis and your steel Katana. There's a lot you can do to take wight off what you've got now.
              Thanks to both you guys.
              I'm working on diet ideas like a 3 gal plastic tank under a fiberglass fax tank, plus unbolting stuff.
              It's amazing how 2k bikes have all mod cons and still weigh 400lb dry.

Comment

Thanks to both you guys.
                I'm working on diet ideas like a 3 gal plastic tank under a fiberglass fax tank, plus unbolting stuff.
                It's amazing how 2k bikes have all mod cons and still weigh 400lb dry.
                What have you done so far to save weight? Aftermarket exhaust, wheels, lithium battery etc etc?

Also what is the weight of the older GSXR 750 engine?
                Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
                2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                  Thought you guys might enjoy this. I built a 2006 GSXR 750 engine from scratch last winter.

Pics here: https://www.facebook.com/paul.johnso...8345259&type=3
                  Wow!

Lots of pics!

I owned a Y2K Gixxer 750...never ventured to do what you did. I left that to the bike shop.

Nicely done!

Ed
                  GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                  Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                  Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                    What have you done so far to save weight? Aftermarket exhaust, wheels, lithium battery etc etc?

Also what is the weight of the older GSXR 750 engine?
                    I haven't weighed the 750 or 1127 engines yet, bet I regret I did not weigh the 1127 before I installed it.
                    Weight reduction so far:
                    cut rear steel subframe off, replaced with aluminum subframe from 93 GSXR.
                    Installed rear seat and cowling with fiberglass racing tail section from Airtech.
                    Using BikeMaster Lion battery.
                    Clip-on handle bars
                    13" slip-ons both sides
                    Removed OEM setbacks, just have foot pegs now (no photo yet)
                    Gained weight installing wider GSXR wheels front and rear, plus swing arm bracing.
                    Considering selling the 1127, and going back to 750cc.

Comment

Both very cool bikes. Love 1100 Kat. Bet that's a blast to ride.
                      '83 GS 1100T
                      The Jet

sigpic
                      '95 GSXR 750w
                      The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

My '83 weighed 440 with a full tank on the scale at us131 near Martin this year. Will have to post up a pic of it so you can see what it has for wheels suspension ect...
                        Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
                          My '83 weighed 440 with a full tank on the scale at us131 near Martin this year. Will have to post up a pic of it so you can see what it has for wheels suspension ect...
                          Cool, I'm seriously considering building up the 90 Katana 750 engine and selling the 1127. Or just selling the bike as is, then buying a post 2K GSXR750.

Comment

Cool, I'm seriously considering building up the 90 Katana 750 engine and selling the 1127. Or just selling the bike as is, then buying a post 2K GSXR750.
                            Sell it as is. The later rolling chassis is light-years better.....

Comment

You should get a decent buck for that Kat. Very good looking bike. I bet it's a blast to ride with that power plant in it. My next GSXR will be an '02 750-1000.
                              '83 GS 1100T
                              The Jet

sigpic
                              '95 GSXR 750w
                              The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Working...
                              X