3 100.00%
  • October 29 ~ November 1

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 "Yet To Be Named" Rally - March 19 - 22 Dripping Springs, TX

Default 2020 "Yet To Be Named" Rally - March 19 - 22 Dripping Springs, TX

THIS RALLY IS OFFICIALLY CANCELLED.

Guys, sorry. We have to kill this rally. You know why. I hope you'll forgive us.
    Would've been fun. Next year, maybe.
    Hey, at least it now has a name! The Corona rally! Thoughts?

But some of your are resistant to this, so if you're going anyhow, read on ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TWISTED ROAD RENTAL DISCOUNT

One day of free riding: https://twistedroad.com/ref/TheRidingObsession <- Fly in, pick up your bike, ride the rally, drop off, fly home!

UPDATED DETAILS ...

So that we can TRY to keep people grouped for pre/post-ride social noise, here are some possible motels (ordered by priority/price) ...

1) Outpost Motel (https://outpostmoteltx.com/) has 10 rooms. 3 have two beds. The rest are singles. Cheap 'n' dirty. (512) 858-0052
    2) "Next Cheapest" Sleep Inn/Suites (512) 858-2400
    3) "Next Closest" (to the dirty, dirty Outpost) Holiday Inn Express (512) 858-0280

NO ROOMS are "blocked out" for this group. Everyone is in charge of their own reservation. Actually everyone is in charge of their own everything, though again I will provide digital format maps/directions/etc.So, yeah ... check this out: Twisted Road gave us a discount code for this event (and others). If you want to fly in, ride a rental and fly home, go here and profit (ONE FREE DAY OF RIDING!) ... https://twistedroad.com/ref/TheRidingObsession

Schedule: Arrive on the 19th. Ride the 20th/21st, head home on the 22nd. That's it in a nutshell.

Friday/Saturday morning, we'll all meet at Austin Java for breakfast.
    My suggestion is that we meet there right at 7:30am ... maybe even 7am on the nose. The routes cover big miles, so we'll want to get rolling earlier than later.

Dinner: Let's keep the groups in regular communication with the intention of meeting at https://homespunkitchenandbar.com/ around 5pm ~ 6pm.

I have no idea what numbers we're looking at, so if folks want to drink/socialize at one location but are sleeping elsewhere, let's work to be sure bikes and shuttle assistance are accounted for. Don't go drinkin' and riding off to your hotel/motel. Capeesh?

MAPS ...

As I said before, I'm not printing anything for anyone. These links lead to digital copies of the routes. You can also download the zip file here.

Day 1: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32040518 <- There's also a shorter version for anyone who's looking for a mild(er) first day.
    Day 2: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28893708

Printable Directions: Day 1 | Day 2

Annnd ... here's a bunch MORE maps. I'm thinking I might ride the "PR 4 + Pie" route instead of what I initially posted. Because Pie.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31997597
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28990644
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31875946
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29074318

If you're tech savvy and open to smartphone GPS ...

Android geeks: https://www.theridingobsession.com/m...ps-navigation/
    iPhone dorks: https://www.theridingobsession.com/m...gation-iphone/

I myself have a dedicated RWGPS account, so I suppose that makes me a super nerd. Whatever.

Like I said, while I hope we'll gather and interact, this is a hodgepodge free-for-all and nobody is designated "leader". As Krusty and crew say: "Everyone is welcome. Nobody is invited."

ORIGINAL POST ...

One Mr. J. Godin made mention of a stealthy convo he had at the '19 Ozarks rally. There were subtle hints of how we "used to" do a rally in TX. Apparently that got him thinkin' because he hijacked my GS Resources account, using me as a typing monkey to revive such a concept.

Godin is playing host to Maggie and I. We explored a lot of great riding down here last winter and are doing the same as you read this.

Routes will need to be solidified. Lodging will need anchoring (even if only temporarily). I'm posting this as radar.

Who'd like to come ride in hill country during March of 2020?

Chime in.
    Last edited by Groove_Daddy; 04-09-2020 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Updated Details
    Present: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2016 Triumph Street Triple R, 2008 Genuine Buddy 125
    Past: 2003 Suzuki GSF1200S Bandit, 1988 Honda NT650 Hawk GT, 1997 Honda CB250 Nighthawk, 1982 Yamaha XS400RJ Seca, 1967 Honda C100 Super Cub, 1976 Honda CB500T
    Other: Robin's Road Ruckus (Music) | The Riding Obsession (Website)

Redman is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Interesting.
    well, exciting anyway.

i doubt that I could get there next year, but let me say that Texas hill country ride (March 2005) was my first GSR rally, and was quite an experience for me. Some of us stayed in motes in new bruaunfels/sanmarcos and others camped in canyonlake(?). Meet in bandera for a days riding. Quite memerablr. I did not know there were roads like that outside of Southern California.

i would highly recommend it to any rider.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.

Well, if anyone is on the fence based on bike availability, I know @GBW has had some luck with both Riders Share and Twisted Road rental options.

Maggie did a long comparison write up about them some time ago (read here).
    Past: 2003 Suzuki GSF1200S Bandit, 1988 Honda NT650 Hawk GT, 1997 Honda CB250 Nighthawk, 1982 Yamaha XS400RJ Seca, 1967 Honda C100 Super Cub, 1976 Honda CB500T

gbw is offline Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Interesting. Following. I might be coming out sooner for some scouting runs.
    Current: 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
    Previous: 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

One thing that's been brought up is the option to camp vs. hotel. I think that'll be easy to coordinate here in Dripping.

Also, we're considering grilling/cookout options here at J. Godin's home (where all can camp if they so desire). He's got a full machine shop on site + plenty of peace/quiet to make use of in rowdy raucous fashion.

Big fire pit. Plenty of space. Beautiful hill country views (the sunsets are just crazy). Great eats. Great riding. Blah blah blah

If I'm around that weekend I'll try to make it. Sounds like fun.
    Rich Desmond
    1980 GS1000S
    2007 V-Strom 650
    2008 Ducati 848
    2002 DR-Z400S
    1999 SV650 (race bike)

I asked Google to show me how far away this is, and I could see the curvature of the Earth. If I can make this, it'll require some logisticals.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

You can make it. We all know your logisticals are big enough for this kind of rally.

gbw is offline Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Here's my 2 cents. Not that anybody asked for it.

It's a long way. That's for sure. Farther for you (Dale) than me. One time I drove my truck out there and back with the bike in the back and spent a few days hanging around and riding. It's a full 14 hour drive each way for me. Probably spent more time driving the truck than riding the bike. Plus, my truck gets horrible mileage, so I spent a lot of money, probably $500, driving there and back.

Makes a lot more sense for me to fly (I have a lot of Southwest miles) and rent a bike. From a cost perspective, I figure as long as spend less than $500 on the motorcycle rental I'm ahead of the game. Last year the one I rented was about $120 a day, so that worked out fine. This year I'm looking at one that is more like $50 a day. Plus, I save about 12 hours of travel time each way. It's just a lot easier. Of course if I had to pay for air fare it would change the math a little.

I flew out there last year and rented a Triumph Tiger. Just like the one in my garage. This year I think I'm going to rent an FZ-07, or maybe a BMW. There are lots of options with Twisted Road and Riders Share. I used Twisted Road last time. Will probably give Riders Share a try this time. But I did switch my motorcycle insurance to make sure it covered rentals.

Also, the riding is different. It's not the Ozarks, or the Smoky Mountains, or West Virginia. There are some twisties, but there's a lot of straights between them. However, it's very scenic. The Texas hill country is lovely and very different from the other areas we ride in.

I'm headed out there in about a month, so not sure I'll be able to go back for this rally or not. Hoping to, just not sure yet. And honestly, if it were just to ride, I probably wouldn't make the trip. But I'll get to hang out with Godin and the Deans and do all that crazy Austin stuff. That's the real draw for me. The riding is just icing on the cake.

Here are a couple of the pics I took from the rides last year.

TX113018 by Greg White, on Flickr

TX112818 by Greg White, on Flickr
    Current: 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
    Previous: 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

I know I'm basically a stranger here, but if I'm not working I'd love to come ride.