No announcement yet.

Will Rossi ever win again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was going to ask: what was it that Rossi was doing (that others wernt I suppose) when he came on the scene and was winning so much (2007?). And is he not doing that now? Or everyone else doing that....? I suppose can ask same of marcquez (2013?) ( but that is another topic).
    BB has mentioned some of what might be an answer .

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
      I was going to ask: what was it that Rossi was doing (that others wernt I suppose) when he came on the scene and was winning so much (2007?). And is he not doing that now? Or everyone else doing that....? I suppose can ask same of marcquez (2013?) ( but that is another topic).
      BB has mentioned some of what might be an answer .
      When he arrived via 125's and 250's the high corner speed, lean on the front style was taking over from the dirt track rear-steerers. His style suited the bikes and tyres of that period. And the bikes were simpler with no electronic overrides.
      Since then, electronics have been the big growth area. They've let riders with shall we say, less natural talent, come through. I've never seen Rossi as a great risk taker. Even on the 125's and 250's he wasn't a regular faller - and he was certainly the class of those fields.
      Marquez pushes past the electronics limits and is most definitely the leading risk taker at present. Several have tried to match his style - and have earned reputations as fallers as a result. Marquez is a freak.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
        A lot of that is the current front rubber. When they changed from Bridgestone to Michelin, the chances of losing the front increased exponentially.
        If Michelin can produce a front which gives Bridgestone levels of feel and grip, Marquez will come back to the pack's reach.
        Everybody's riding the same rubber, right?
        Ok, anecdotal feedback_I see no mention of Bridgestone tires in reviews of the best track & street performance tires. Names I hear mentioned are Michelin, Pirelli and Shinko.
        Yeah, that's right Shinko before Bridgestone. The Shinko 003 Stealth poor mans track tire, very good for rain.
        One reviewers opinions:
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
          Marquez is a freak.
          Wouldn't it be fun to see a young Rossi compete with Marquez on equal equipment? Wow! As it is I think Marquez is on pace to easily best Rossi's MotoGP win record. Rossi changed equipment a few times which set him back but regardless, Marquez is arguably on his level and he's staying with what works (Honda.)
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
            Ok, anecdotal feedback_I see no mention of Bridgestone tires in reviews of the best track & street performance tires. Names I hear mentioned are Michelin, Pirelli and Shinko.
            Yeah, that's right Shinko before Bridgestone. The Shinko 003 Stealth poor mans track tire, very good for rain.
            One reviewers opinions:
            The Bridgestone tyres that were used in MotoGP prior to the Michelin contract were noted as having a very good front but not quite so good a rear. The Michelins are the other way round - and a number of the guys haven't been able to get on with the Michelin fronts.
            As far as lower level competition goes, it depends if you're allowed slicks or must use DOT legal rubber. Slicks here, the favoured ones are Bridgestone and Metzeler. Treaded tyres, Pirelli with some Metzeler users. The high performance treaded Michelins don't suit all bikes. I know a guy who ordered a seasons worth of Michelins - and found the bike was unstable in a straight line on them. There are differences in carcase construction which lets them turn better - but then that can make the bike unstable.Then in classic and post classic sizes, treaded tyres, Bridgestones on price and performance, Avons for the wealthy
            Shinko don't seem to be sold here. I've never seen one. Interestingly, the 003 designation was used on a soft compound Yokohama some years back....They weren't bad at all.
            Last edited by GregT; 10-31-2019, 09:22 PM.

Comment

One reviewers opinions:
              I raced on Bridgestones not that many years again, and they were amazing. I’d also used Michelin’s, Dunlops and Pirellis at various times, much preferred the ’Stones.
              '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

One reviewers opinions:
                ...]
                Does the road rash on his forearm give him more or does it give him less credibility.....?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                  I raced on Bridgestones not that many years again, and they were amazing. I’d also used Michelin’s, Dunlops and Pirellis at various times, much preferred the ’Stones.
                  +1. All that Bridgestone MotoGP experience and R&D money has really paid off for us mere mortals.

The Bridgestone race and trackday tires I've run all inspire massive confidence, especially on the fronts...they practically beg you to brake late and trail brake to the apex. Feedback for days - you always know when you're getting close to the limit on the throttle and brakes and slides are easy to recover if you push over the limit a bit.

Never personally had the same type of feel and confidence on the Michelin and Dunlop track tires.
                  Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
                  2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                    Does the road rash on his forearm give him more or does it give him less credibility.....?
                    More creds.
                    I've read many tire reviews, heard different tires mentioned in other track related videos, going back to when any brand could be selected in grand prix racing.
                    I'm sure all you old riders and fans remember tire wars before the single manufacture rule. Tire choice was a major subject for race analysis on TV. The right tires for different bikes on different tracks, plus the newest custom tire for today's race.
                    It all got way expensive and confusing for suppliers and race teems, so the single manufacture rule was passed.
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Rossi .8 quicker today than Lorenzo's lap record from 2015 @ Sepang.
                      So that moves it up 11 years...Bill.
                      Crazy to think typing 2 letters on the computer or phone, covers the top 20.
                      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                        Please explain. I'm not following.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                          Rossi .8 quicker today than Lorenzo's lap record from 2015 @ Sepang.
                          So that moves it up 11 years...Bill.
                          Back to Rossi last Sunday Phillip Island. He was leading for the first 3 laps! Cool, but it's a 27 lap race.
                          Kinda like a marathon, there's runners they call the rabbits who jump ahead at the beginning, but fade away after a few miles. Nobody remembers them after the race.

Comment

Back to Rossi last Sunday Phillip Island. He was leading for the first 3 laps! Cool, but it's a 27 lap race.
                            Kinda like a marathon, there's runners they call the rabbits who jump ahead at the beginning, but fade away after a few miles. Nobody remembers them after the race.
                            You remembered
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                              Please explain. I'm not following.
                              Less than 2 seconds cover the top 20.
                              GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Vale looked pretty good today
                                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                                2007 DRz 400S
                                1999 ATK 490ES
                                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                                X