No announcement yet.

Will Rossi ever win again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rossi did very well. Vinales 1st place & podium, 3rd place in season points!!!
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I think it's time, and just about past time, for Rossi to retire. The reason I think he should retire is that, after his stellar career, I'd like him to leave when he says its time...not when he no longer can get a ride and doors start closing in his face.

Ideally, I'd love for him to win one more time and then announce he's done. Unfortunately, I doubt that will happen.

He used to say he'd quit when he was no longer competitive. Well, that time has come. He is by far the least competitive of the current Yamaha riders.
      He's got plenty of money, great connections in the racing world, and is already a race team manager in MotoGP's lower tiers.
      Like other star riders like Ago and King Kenny, it's time to use that experience and knowledge to benefit a team of his own in the premier class.
      Last edited by Chris in TN; 11-07-2019, 10:49 PM.
      Chris
      current fleet:
      1976 Honda GL1000 - 1978 Suzuki GS1000C - 1979 Suzuki GS1000S - 1981 Honda CM400C
      1986 Suzuki RG500G - 1988 BMW R100RS - 1991 BMW K100RS - 1997 Suzuki GSF1200

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
        A lot of that is the current front rubber. When they changed from Bridgestone to Michelin, the chances of losing the front increased exponentially.
        If Michelin can produce a front which gives Bridgestone levels of feel and grip, Marquez will come back to the pack's reach.
        This is a good point. It takes a phenomenal level of raw talent to consistently push the front end, and fronts like the current Michelins make it even tougher. You have to go all the way back to Freddy Spencer to find a rider who can push the front the way Marquez does.
        On any tire Marquez's talent will give him an advantage, but the difficulty of the Michelins magnifies it.

Originally posted by GregT View Post
        When he arrived via 125's and 250's the high corner speed, lean on the front style was taking over from the dirt track rear-steerers. His style suited the bikes and tyres of that period. And the bikes were simpler with no electronic overrides.
        Since then, electronics have been the big growth area. They've let riders with shall we say, less natural talent, come through. I've never seen Rossi as a great risk taker. Even on the 125's and 250's he wasn't a regular faller - and he was certainly the class of those fields.
        Marquez pushes past the electronics limits and is most definitely the leading risk taker at present. Several have tried to match his style - and have earned reputations as fallers as a result. Marquez is a freak.
        I'm sure some will disagree, but I think much of Rossi's success through 2006 was due to lack of high level competition. I have the same opinion of Doohan. Both those guys won a bunch, and are undoubtedly great riders, but neither were dominant when other great riders were on the track. Doohan didn't win a championship until Lawson, Rainey and Schwantz were either hurt or retired, and Rossi was only dominant until Pedrosa, Lorenzo and Stoner came along. After that he had his hands full.
        Marquez is dominant against what is certainly the most deeply talented field in GP history.

From Dean Adams, written after Marquez's first MotoGP win, in Austin 2013:

I was there that weekend too, all three days. I left just utterly dumbstruck by what I'd seen. Totally convinced that I'd just seen the greatest rider ever to throw a leg over a bike, that he would go on to win the championship that year, and would keep winning them for as long as he wanted too. I think most people there came to the same conclusion, it would have been hard to think otherwise, and obviously the last 6 years have borne that out.
        As you say, he's a freak.
        Last edited by RichDesmond; 11-07-2019, 11:29 PM.
        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

I remember watching Doohan in the 90's on TV, & as far as entertainment goes, things got pretty boring & predictable.
          Especially with the lame American hosts (Bob Varsha etc. Kevin Schwantz included)
          Hats off to Doohans success & talent, but what a flatliner to watch all the winning! No fault of his own really...

I really stopped watching 500cc & early Moto Gp because of Doohan, preferring to watch WSBK, as a more exciting format.
          Marquez oozes talent, determination & will to win at any cost, but I think some folks are wishing for someone to knock him off.
          Out of 1st place, not any aggressive track antics.
          The annoyingly good factor is irritating.
          GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

As in all sports, you don't have to fixate on the best to enjoy the season.
            Has anybody noticed how the Ducati riders have faded since August?
            If you like Suzuki, then you've been following Alex Rins, 4th place in points.
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Now that Lorenzo retired, things seem the same as of late.
              Will be interesting if he gets any points at the final round this year.
              GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                Now that Lorenzo retired, things seem the same as of late.
                Will be interesting if he gets any points at the final round this year.
                The top 15 positions receive points, he's plenty good enough to score something.
                I'm sure he's been intensely soul searching about completing his 2020 contract. His face looks emotionally empty in recent photos.
                He's got all my sympathy.
                Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 11-15-2019, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                  I'm sure he's been intensely soul searching about completing his 2020 contract.
                  ?????
                  You missed his retirement this week?
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Rossi qualified in 12th, not very promising with his team mates in 1st and 4th. Only .2 separate the top 4
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                      ?????
                      You missed his retirement this week?
                      I was writing about Rossi.

Comment

Lucky "xx"th for Lorenzo in the last race before retirement, for a total of 28 points for the whole season compared to Marquez season total on the same bike!
                        Suppose Rossi is still in the near top hunt.

Comment

Working...
                        X