now i've deviated from a typical 710 build... if there is such a thing LOL

stretch 34.jpg
    Current:
    1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
    1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
    1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
    1998 Chevy C2500
    1999 Rav4

I toss around ideas with a mono shock. To many variables that can't be taken into account without building. Battery and electronics locations. Gusseting and bracket work for the mono shock. A lot of other things to figure out.

But since I am building a '77 and not a '02 GSXR it was easy to decide on the final direction of the rear suspension.

stretch 36.jpg
    Current:
    1998 Chevy C2500
    1999 Rav4

Comment

Wanted as much OE as I could use...

Shocks are dead and only mocked-up.
      Rear wheel isn't fully assembled.
      But the mirrors look cool LOL

stretch 48.jpg
      Current:
      1998 Chevy C2500
      1999 Rav4

Comment

Once I started in on the swap, things that weren't anticipated pop out.
        These are the things that make you change directions or give up...

stretch 24.jpg
        Current:
        1998 Chevy C2500
        1999 Rav4

Comment

Dual shock setup looks goofy with that extended swingarm in my opinion. If you want help with the monoshock conversion, let me know. I monoshocked my GS1000 and it works great. It is a fair amount of work to get all the variables correct.

Is extended swingarm for looks or are you going drag racing?
          Last edited by 80GS1000; 11-03-2019, 07:38 PM.
          Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
          2006 GSXR 750

Comment

It's your opinion and I respect this. But when I post some pics with the seat and rear cowling/lights it might alter your perception.

Street/drag racing, timed speed runs and more. Then I can look good at Bike Week, The Turkey Rod Run and more.
            I am not going to install a 1000cc engine, extend the swingarm, upgrade the suspension and more just for looks... LOL

The dual shocks allow me to strut it for racing purposes.
            The extended swingarm will be modified for a more period correct look.

Adding the mono shock and the fabrication involved wasn't the issue. Building something that looks more period correct was.
            Plus the 750 frame is from what I've learned, shorter than the 1000. I wasn't going to fight issues on battery and electronics locations/installation just for the appearance of a mono shock. Also, if I wanted to really use mono shock setup, I would of chosen a different year of donor.
            In the short time of this build, I've learned a lot. Thanks for the offer and share some pics of your build. I'd like to see the setup. See if we think alike...

I'm building a '77 GS750 or so the registration says, not a '02 GSXR.
            Last edited by unfocused; 11-03-2019, 08:34 PM.
            Current:
            1998 Chevy C2500
            1999 Rav4

Comment

I can't wait to see this finished project...
              My Motorcycles:
              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
              79 1000e (all original)
              82 850g (all original)
              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by unfocused View Post
                It's your opinion and I respect this. But when I post some pics with the seat and rear cowling/lights it might alter your perception.

Street/drag racing, timed speed runs and more. Then I can look good at Bike Week, The Turkey Rod Run and more.
                I am not going to install a 1000cc engine, extend the swingarm, upgrade the suspension and more just for looks... LOL

The dual shocks allow me to strut it for racing purposes.
                The extended swingarm will be modified for a more period correct look.

Adding the mono shock and the fabrication involved wasn't the issue. Building something that looks more period correct was.
                Plus the 750 frame is from what I've learned, shorter than the 1000. I wasn't going to fight issues on battery and electronics locations/installation just for the appearance of a mono shock. Also, if I wanted to really use mono shock setup, I would of chosen a different year of donor.
                In the short time of this build, I've learned a lot. Thanks for the offer and share some pics of your build. I'd like to see the setup. See if we think alike...

I'm building a '77 GS750 or so the registration says, not a '02 GSXR.
                Period looking drag bike with struts makes sense....will look trick with the right bodywork.

I have my rear suspension apart at the moment to get the rear shock serviced and resprung. Here's the top portion of the monoshock mount on my bike. I used box section steel tubing and then braced the frame around the upper shock mount and swingarm pivot for strength and to prevent twisting. The upper shock mount bracket is from a 92 GSXR 1100. The electronics are on a tray under the seat and the battery box sits under the seat as well.

The bottom bracket is boxed in tabs welded to what used to be the centerstand frame cross member

Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
                2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Have you calculated the new spring rate necessary for the stretched swing arm?

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Have you calculated the new spring rate necessary for the stretched swing arm?

You would ask me about that LMAO...

I've spent the last 3 days in some sort of search/research for where the f$%k to start.
                    The shocks on there are dead and just for mock up and rolling around. They're 12.6" stock and I have no specs and don't expect to find any.
                    Obviously the fronts are OE adjustable GSXR and I'll need those for weight transfer, not high speed lean angle corners.
                    Right now im leaning towards an 11"~12" shock [natural ride height] with with somewhere around a 6-700lbs spring, 7" or 8" long.
                    How far off em I ??? LOL

...and then there's a price to pay, to be able to play. Ouch!!!

I've read enough about this to realize not all springs are the same even though they may "rate" the same.
                    Not a lot of info to be found for any type of build like this.
                    All modern info is for mono shocked bikes but the springs rates are completely different or one or two shocks.
                    Rebound needs to be under good control when launching.
                    Sprung weight for rear shocks on a motorcycle is nil until the rider sits down.
                    The longer the stretch the more the increase in spring rate.
                    Then the lean angle of the shock increases the spring rate.
                    The position of my shocks now is not much different than stock.
                    Do I sound like I'm learning something here ?!?!?!

I'm going to need to balance between ride ability and street fighter when the shocks are installed, and then a kidney belt when strutted
                    Probably going to work from the softer side. Need to get the kinks worked out of this build as I go.
                    Current:
                    1998 Chevy C2500
                    1999 Rav4

Comment

[QUOTE=80GS1000;2570683]Period looking drag bike with struts makes sense....will look trick with the right bodywork.

Thanks.

Nice build.
                      I looked at everything and wrestled with the idea but 2 shocks won me over.
                      Trust me when I say I had the mono mocked up.
                      Old school for an old fart like meself LOL
                      Current:
                      1998 Chevy C2500
                      1999 Rav4

Comment

Thought I'd share another pic since someone asked about spring rates and shocks LOL

This is the day I bought her. Not running, chain banjo string tight and rear brakes partially locked...
                        Found bad coils first
                        fuel petcock
                        then carbs
                        then brakes
                        all sorts of who did this sh%t ???

then the cam cap popped off of cylinders 1/2 exhaust cam...
                        ...this is how it started LOL

I still have the fairing somewhere.

GS750 1.jpg
                        Current:
                        1998 Chevy C2500
                        1999 Rav4

Comment

A tip: if you like the look of 3 spoke GSXR rear wheels like the one in your pic (02 GSXR 600/750 wheel I'm guessing?) you may find it tough to get a proper true chain run with that wheel even with an offset front sprocket because it's too wide at the hub. One solution is to use a 2006/2007 5.5x17" GSXR 600/750 rear wheel which is about 10mm narrower at the hub than the 02 wheel and has the same size axle/brake rotor diameter. Then use a 5/8" 520 offset front sprocket to get the chain run straight. You may have to get wheel spacers made up to get everything lined up.
                          Last edited by 80GS1000; 11-04-2019, 09:33 PM.
                          Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
                          2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                            A tip: if you like the look of 3 spoke GSXR rear wheels like the one in your pic (02 GSXR 600/750 wheel I'm guessing?) you may find it tough to get a proper true chain run with that wheel even with an offset front sprocket because it's too wide at the hub. One solution is to use a 2006/2007 5.5x17" GSXR 600/750 rear wheel which is about 10mm narrower at the hub than the 02 wheel and has the same size axle/brake rotor diameter. Then use a 5/8" 520 offset front sprocket to get the chain run straight. You may have to get wheel spacers made up to get everything lined up.
                            Thank You.
                            which year rotor mount did you use? '06/07?
                            Yes on the wheels.
                            There is a lot on this subject floating around the forums. The lengths people have gone to make it true amazes me.
                            Funny thing is quality control in the 70's wasn't shall we say, evident lol
                            So as you know things will have to be adjusted for every frame with the parts being used.
                            I have spacers (commercial lawn mower spindle washers/spacers fit perfect) and have set it up with the sprocket strong to the outside like yours.
                            Lined up pretty good.
                            But nothing is bolted down yet so changes are to be made...!!!
                            Current:
                            1998 Chevy C2500
                            1999 Rav4

Comment

You would ask me about that LMAO.
                              Just wanted to make sure that you knew it was an item that needed to be addressed.

Right now im leaning towards an 11"~12" shock [natural ride height] with with somewhere around a 6-700lbs spring, 7" or 8" long.
                              How far off em I ??? LOL
                              Couldn't tell you any dimensions without being there.

The longer the stretch the more the increase in spring rate.
                              Then the lean angle of the shock increases the spring rate.
                              The position of my shocks now is not much different than stock.
                              The fact that the position is not much different makes it a lot easier.
                              1. Measure the distance from the swingarm pivot to the stock axle location.
                              2. Measure the distance from the swingarm pivot to the new axle location.
                              3. Divide the second measurement by the first.
                              4. Find the stock spring rate on a suspension vendor's site.
                              5. Multiply the spring rate by the answer to #3, you have a decent starting spring rate.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X