Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My GS850 from the Netherlands

Hi guys,

Last April I bought my first motorcycle, a nice red GS850, in the Netherlands and brought it to my region, near Leuven, Belgium.
    According to the available paperwork it was first registered for road use in 1984.

The bike ran good from the start. The only problem it had was that it idled a bit high and for that reason it went a bit rough from neutral to first.
    The paperwork to get it imported and registered in Belgium took me 3 months to complete. The lack of the original COC did not speed up this process...

Eventually, after a busy summer and riding the bike only now and then, it is finally time for a good thorough maintenance service. It's because of that, and the search for information, that I stumbled across this forum. I think (and hope) that I will be able to do all needed maintenance myself, but am a little concerned about the "rattling" noise that comes from the bottom side of the engine when idling. It seems to disappear when riding. The beginner tips on this forum will come in handy for sure!

Oh and I'm struggling to figure out what type my bike is exactly. I thought it might be a 1982 model, but first put to use in 1984? I don't know whether it's a G, GT, GE, ...
    Anyone who knows? Someone changed over the exhaust system and front wheel in the past. I am suspecting the front shocks to be changed too since they don't have the air nipples on top. The frame number stamped on the steering head is GS850-132079. The engine number is GS850-161941. I've checked the frame number list but don't seem to figure it out.

Drive safe you all!!

Regards from Belgium,
    Maxim

20190324_184323.jpg

Good morning, or whatever it is there in Belgium.

I'll double check your location to make sure it's not Belgium, Wisconsin before I stick my foot in my mouth again. LOL

Three month seems a really long time to wait for paperwork to get straightened out. Good on you for sticking it out. The 850 is a great bike and is fairly easy to work on, especially compared to smaller GS bikes. Just about every question you'd have on how to resolve issues has most likely been asked many times over. The search feature can be tricky to get used to but it does work. If you can't find an answer to your specific question, just ask and I'll bet you'll get your answer in short order. It helps to post in the related forum for sure.

As far as I know, the only difference in the 850 G from 1982 on is the color scheme. Here on the main page is a link for you to send an email to Frank, the administrator, who can look up your VIN and hopefully tell you what you have there.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by MaximSys View Post
      Hi guys,

Last April I bought my first motorcycle, a nice red GS850, in the Netherlands and brought it to my region, near Leuven, Belgium.
      According to the available paperwork it was first registered for road use in 1984.

The bike ran good from the start. The only problem it had was that it idled a bit high and for that reason it went a bit rough from neutral to first.
      The paperwork to get it imported and registered in Belgium took me 3 months to complete. The lack of the original COC did not speed up this process...

Eventually, after a busy summer and riding the bike only now and then, it is finally time for a good thorough maintenance service. It's because of that, and the search for information, that I stumbled across this forum. I think (and hope) that I will be able to do all needed maintenance myself, but am a little concerned about the "rattling" noise that comes from the bottom side of the engine when idling. It seems to disappear when riding. The beginner tips on this forum will come in handy for sure!

Oh and I'm struggling to figure out what type my bike is exactly. I thought it might be a 1982 model, but first put to use in 1984? I don't know whether it's a G, GT, GE, ...
      Anyone who knows? Someone changed over the exhaust system and front wheel in the past. I am suspecting the front shocks to be changed too since they don't have the air nipples on top. The frame number stamped on the steering head is GS850-132079. The engine number is GS850-161941. I've checked the frame number list but don't seem to figure it out.

Drive safe you all!!

Regards from Belgium,
      Maxim

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59563[/ATTACH]
      The rattle, if it's genuinely coming from the bottom end, but goes away with throttle, is likely nothing more than a sign the carbs need balanced - after you've set the valve clearances, of course. Anything that interferes with the smooth and even firing of all cylinders will cause a bottom end rattle - it was a common thing on ball-bearing crankshafts back then. Actually, it was fairly common on a lot of other bikes too, plain and ball bearing.

If the rattle is more of a kind of knock from the top end, that goes away above 2k rpm, it's the notorious 'cam end float'. Nothing to worry about - they don't all do it, but most of them do.

European GS850s weren't fitted with air-assist forks, instead you have a spring pre-load under the rubber top cap. Simply remove the cap, insert a plain screwdriver and set the position to 1, 2, or 3. It really works quite well, and it's a system I might go back to when I finally rebulid my own forks.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Did you find the idle adj. pretty simple, if you know where it is, a little thumb screw between the two center float bowls. Could the rattle be coming from the clutch, many Suziki's have that clutch rattle, but rarely causes a problem. Oh Yeah, Welcome & nice looking bike you got there.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Nice-looking bike, indeed. I will answer your questions below the picture.

Oh and I'm struggling to figure out what type my bike is exactly.
          I thought it might be a 1982 model, but first put to use in 1984?
          The picture gives a few clues, but also raises a few questions. The bodywork is '82 and newer, but the silver engine says it's not any newer than '82. The front wheel is '81 or older, while the brake disks say '80 or newer. The chrome fender only came on a '79 850.

I don't know whether it's a G, GT, GE, ...
          I am guessing it is an '82, which would make it a GZ.

Someone changed over the exhaust system and front wheel in the past.
          That explains the front wheel. Could not tell for sure about the exhaust from that angle.

I am suspecting the front shocks to be changed too since they don't have the air nipples on top.
          As Grimly mentioned, the European models did not come with air nipples.

The frame number stamped on the steering head is GS850-132079.
          I don't know about the European bikes, but over here, the VIN format changed in 1981 to a 17-digit number like "JS1GS71L8Cxxxxxxx". (<- that is from my wife's '82 850L).

The engine number is GS850-161941.
          Her engine number is 156486, production date was 11/81, which would put your engine toward the end of the '82 model year.

Do you have a VIN plate on the steering stem that might show the production date? The dates for any model year usually start in August or September of the preceeding year.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I think that's an aftermarket mudguard and it's been fitted arse-for-elbow.
            I wouldn't be at all surprised if a PO had a front-end shunt and had to source parts from a breaker.

Trivia: the Euro GS850 in 1980 still had the chrome fender. Just like the previous year's model, it rotted out under the chrome, which is why both of mine sport plastic guards, one from a GS1100E (the 79 will eventually get one just like it).
            Last edited by Grimly; 11-11-2019, 09:33 PM.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Man, that is one darned clean bike!

Welcome aboard.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Welcome to the site. Very nice looking bike.
                Current Bikes:
                2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Working...
                X