Bosch WR56 spark plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bosch WR56 spark plugs

Will the WR56 be OK on the Suzuki GS1000G engine? - we seem to have a few bad batches B8ES from NGK and some do not even last 50km and I am tired of buying new plugs

OMG NO YOUR ENGINE WILL BLOW UP no just kidding, if they are the same spec give em a try. Though ngk's have a reputation for reliability, if it is happening repeatedly the plugs *might* not be the problem?
    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Can't find much info on WR56 plugs. They are resistor type which isn't ideal and I think they are for late model cars. Denso W24ES or W24ES-U are direct replacements for B8ES's. I'd look for some of those instead.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
        1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
        past bikes. RF900
        TL1000s
        Hayabusa
        gsx 750f x2
        197cc Francis Barnett
        various British nails

Comment

you have checked all things that might contribute to failure?
          ive never had a bad plug from any maker

are they fouling or what?
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Have to aggree with other posters regular failure of spark plugs due to a manufacturing fault is highly unlikely, its more likely the fault lies with the bike.

Have you removed the plugs immediately after a "failure"? If so were they wet/ oily?
            1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
            past bikes. RF900
            TL1000s
            Hayabusa
            gsx 750f x2
            197cc Francis Barnett
            various British nails

Comment

I am guessing the OP did not mean 50 km for plug life on a regular copper plug. Also, NGKs are counterfeited so you have to be careful. See the link above.
              1981 Suzuki GS250T
              1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
              1985 Suzuki GS550E
              2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

now we need pics
                1983 GS 550 LD
                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Many thanks for the input.

The plugs are wet when I remove them. Top end was redone with sleeves properly honed at engineering shop, and new rings installed. Shims done at our local Suzuki dealer as I do not have shims to do it myself. Valves properly lapped, new valve stem seals. Carbs completely re-done with new (and correct) jets, o-rings etc. Brand new manifold inlet rubbers (genuine part) from Suzuki Warehouse. I have also put in new coils as the one coil was slightly warm after a run around the block and resistance check slightly different from the other coil. Spark definitely not the problem. I can hear there is a noisy tappet but have not yet opened it up after the overhaul and the bike has now only done 290km so far. At the time of my post, I have replaced three NGK BP8ES since the overhaul. One came out of No1 cyl and two out of No2 Cyl. I originally thought that it could be something with No2 carb but the pilot needle is very close to the other three carbs and after vacuum sync the bike is idling awesome with excellent throttle response.
                  Four days ago I installed a brand new plug in No2 and took a ride to a local pharmacy for some tablets. Driving there it was running perfect. When I got out of the shop and started the bike, it was running on 3 cylinders again. It was this last instance that prompted me to pose the question here.(that last plug was the second one that came out of No2)
                  Last edited by Danie.e; 11-13-2019, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Counterfeited you say? That might explain why my internet-sourced (from the US) NGK's got out of tolerance after a mere 5000 km on my Guzzi. The first set, factory-installed, lasted roughly 17000 km, then another 3000 when I bumped the electrode back into spec.
                    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

On the 850 the petcock vacuume pipe leads to number 2 carb if the petcock is faulty it can leak fuel into the #2 carb and flood it possibly fouling the plug I am unsure if your bike is configured like he gs850 but worth a look.
                      If it is then take the line of the petcock see if there is fuel in the line.
                      You say you have BP8ES plugs is that a typo?
                      Last edited by fastbysuzuki; 11-13-2019, 06:30 AM.
                      1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                      past bikes. RF900
                      TL1000s
                      Hayabusa
                      gsx 750f x2
                      197cc Francis Barnett
                      various British nails

Comment

Yep, sounds more like your petcock has a bad diaphragm.

And yes, NGK has a problem with counterfeit parts, so it's at least somewhat possible. Might try ND (AKA Nippon Denso or just Denso) plugs, since they're OEM as well.

FWIW on other vehicles, I've tried Bosch plugs because they were on sale, and always had issues. I would stick to the OEM NGK or ND.

And what plugs are you talking about, anyway?
                        B8ES are correct.
                        BR8ES are the resistor version. You only need these if you're replaced the wires and/or caps with ones that don't have resistors. That said, the resistor plugs also won't really make any perceptible difference.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

16k miles on Champions in my bike, I should probably pull em to see what they look like.
                          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Bike is a GS1000G and the petcock is brand new because the old one was not serviceable anymore. I will check the petcock suggestion as I did not look into that possibility. Went and bought 4 new B8ES plugs today and will install them tomorrow when I have the time. Will report back here in due course
                            Last edited by Danie.e; 11-13-2019, 12:12 PM.

Comment

I can confirm that an over-rich mixture can kill brand new plugs in no time at all. When I was getting my brother's 650 Katana back on the road again after a hibernation of about 25 years, I installed a new set of NGK D8EA plugs bought at my local Autozone store. While synching and fine-tuning the carbs after cleaning, I started the bike on the "choke" quite a few times. Some more cold starts on the "choke" in the garage to show friends, etc.

When I took it out onto the road for the first time, I progressed only about 1 km before the engine started to run poorly and cut out, and would not restart. After pushing it home, diagnosis showed plugs 3 and 4 totally dead. I only had the old plugs available, so put 2 of them in, and voila! Still running today with 2 new plugs and the 2 old plugs!
                              1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Working...
                              X