Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 MotoGP - The Official Thread (Warning!! Spoilers!!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that next season will be another Marquez championship as he's still operating at a level above everyone else and will face pretty much the same adversaries. But the year after that I expect to see a significant change over in the paddock with stalwarts like Rossi and Crutchlow departing and replaced by younger riders. By then Marc won't be the fast wunderkind rider anymore but rather the old veteran and he'll be facing a whole new generation of fast hot shots.
    Chris
    current fleet:
    1976 Honda GL1000 - 1978 Suzuki GS1000C - 1979 Suzuki GS1000S - 1981 Honda CM400C
    1986 Suzuki RG500G - 1988 BMW R100RS - 1991 BMW K100RS - 1997 Suzuki GSF1200

Comment

I agree if Marc Marquez stays healthy, he's probably going to win the title in 2020, his brother Alex will struggle to get top 6's (maybe even top 10's) unless he figures out that Honda GP bike quickly.

One rider not mentioned is Joan Mir on the Suzuki, he has started to out qualify his team mate and even finished ahead of him once or twice this year.

When he was in Moto3 he showed incredible race craft and won that title in 2017 convincingly.

He only did one year in Moto2 so he hasn't been grabbing the headlines much lately, but I think he will be on the podium this year on certain tracks and should be a regular contender for podiums 2021 "if" Suzuki can get their bike to qualify up front consistently.

Would be nice to see Fabio get a few wins next year, he really came out of nowhere this year, his Moto2 record did not show his potential, but his junior record prior to Moto3 were much more impressive.

If you look at the final points for 2019 it would look like it MM totally dominated the show and it was a pretty boring season, but I thought it was an amazing season and even though Marquez dominated the title chase, he was challenged at most races and the 5 or 6 times he was 2nd it was an incredible battle, there were very few races that were predicable or boring.

Looking forward to 2020, it should be epic.

David
      Last edited by Kiwi Canuck; 11-22-2019, 10:29 AM.
      2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
      2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
      1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
      2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
      1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
      1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
      1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
      Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
        One rider not mentioned is Joan Mir on the Suzuki, he has started to out qualify his team mate and even finished ahead of him once or twice this year.

When he was in Moto3 he showed incredible race craft and won that title in 2017 convincingly.
        Mir was incredible in 2017. Despite elbow to elbow racing that is Moto3 he won 10 times that year. I hope he continues to adapt and that Suzuki sticks with him. His potential is yet to be realized.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I think it will be more of the same last year. Marquez dominated on a bike that is probably 3rd best. With inevitable improvements, only he can beat himself. Quarteraro needs to learn to win at this level. He's fast, but Marquez played with him this season. IF Yamaha can get more power, and Vinales can learn to ride with a full tank, he could win a few more. Rins and Mir will get what the Suzuki can get them, it's not a lack of talent there, but while the bike handles well, it is just lacking a bit. Binder could become a factor as the season progresses, depending on how the KTM improves. But I'll be surprised if he surpasses Pol this season, and more surprised if he doesn't next season. The Valentino farewell tour will be uneventful. Dovi is the best that Ducati has, and it is just not enough. May be a couple wins at tracks that favor the Duc, but crashes at inopportune times. But I still can't wait until the season starts again!

Comment

Will Little-Bro Marquez beat Rossi in 2020 someplace? Woh, I'd retire befo I let that happen to me…just sayin'
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Early comments about the new Yamaha engine are positive but it's still down on power compared to Honda and Ducati. https://www.autosport.com/motogp/new...e-engine-gains

Morbidelli, who ended the test seventh overall, says the new motor is "more angry" in higher gears and was happier with it as the engine "keeps Yamaha's soul".

"I tried the new spec, I had a good feeling on it," Morbidelli told Autosport. "Seems a bit faster, a bit more angry in fifth and sixth gear, and this is what we wanted and this is positive.

"[It] still keeps Yamaha's soul, the engine has Yamaha's soul. It is really smooth. I am happy with the job they've done."

When pressed for what else he wants from the engine, he said: "What I would like is to have more power and keep the rideability that the bike and the engine has.

"I don't know if they will manage to do that, but it seems that this engine is already a step [forward]."
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Comment

Editorial Note: Moto2 and Moto3 will still race because teams are already in Qatar. MotoGP™ Class cancelled at the Grand Prix of Qatar Due to Qatar travel restrictions brought into […]
                No signature

Comment

I was really looking forward to the first MotoGP race in Qatar, but will have to console myself by watching Moto2 and Moto3.

David.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
                    I was really looking forward to the first MotoGP race in Qatar, but will have to console myself by watching Moto2 and Moto3.

David.
                    Yes, me too.
                    No signature

Comment

Here's the news article from MotoGP.com

FIM, IRTA and Dorna regret to announce the cancellation of all MotoGP™ class sessions at the Grand Prix of Qatar, including the race.

The ongoing coronavirus outbreak has resulted in Qatar travel restrictions being brought into force that affect passengers from Italy, amongst other countries. As of today, all passengers arriving at Doha on direct flights from Italy, or having been in Italy in the past 2 weeks, will be taken straight to quarantine for a minimum of 14 days. Italy clearly plays a vital role in the Championship and in the MotoGP class - both on track and off - and therefore the decision has been taken to cancel premier class competition.

As the teams and riders of the Moto2™ and Moto3™ classes were already in Qatar for the three-day official test at Losail International Circuit earlier this week, the races of both categories will be possible. The lightweight and intermediate classes will therefore compete in their season opener from the 6th to 8th March. The same will apply to the Idemitsu Asia Talent Cup, which will have two races during the Qatar Grand Prix as originally planned. Stay tuned for a revised schedule.

Comment

Wow, I didn’t see that coming. In hindsight, guess I should have.

I’m supposed to go to Morocco for work in 3 weeks, and then to Spain, hopefully that doesn’t get cancelled.
                        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

No signature

Comment

The prestigious motorsports event MotoGP 2020 scheduled for March 20-22 in Buri Ram province has been postponed indefinitely due to the spread of the Covid-19 coronavirus, Deputy Prime Minister and Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said on Monday.

Buriram MotoGP postponed indefinitely due to coronavirus

No signature

Comment

OK, so interesting to re read this thread and see the predictions that were made 9 or so months ago.

Who could've predicted what happened this year though, even though it's been really good racing but weird not seeing anyone in the stands, except for the two Misano races in Italy, they allowed about 10,000 spectators in.

I'm glad Mir is doing well on the Suzuki, he's such a great talent and a treat to watch.

I do miss not having Marc Marquez racing as he always kept things pretty interesting and kept the level exceptionally high.

Sorry to see so many injured this year, it's been tough for a few guys, very impressed with Rins and Crutchlow to make it back so quickly.

Plenty more to come, 6 more races IIRC.

Hard to bet against Fabio, but I like Mir and hope he can give him a run for his money.

BTW it's great to see Franky #21 get his first win and first pole this year as he was so overshadowed by his rookie team mate last year.

David.
                              Last edited by Kiwi Canuck; 09-28-2020, 10:55 PM.

Comment

On one hand it's great to see such close racing and so many different winners. On the other hand I'd bet big money that if Marquez was racing that he's have a huge lead. On the third hand Marc is the sort of guy that races to win every race and his 9 lives are being used up. At the end of the day, in my opinion, Marc is on a different plane, and there are a good many riders (as evidenced by this year) that are very good but are clearly below. Rossi is hanging in there but I doubt he will ever win again, although he may snag a podium or two before he retires. In my opinion he should retire now, but he's still making a lot of money so what the heck. Milk it for all it's worth.
                                Ed

To measure is to know.

Comment

Working...
                                X