Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 MotoGP - The Official Thread (Warning!! Spoilers!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Nessism View Post
    Ducati was NOT expected to dominate anything, other than the horsepower race, which they did. And they have no need for "break through engine improvement" because they already have the best engine in the series.

As for Alex, if he's midpack that will be doing well for him I think.

I think Rins and Vinales will have their moments, just like this year, but I'll be surprised if they do a whole lot better.

My money's on another Marquez show.
    I think Marquez will have a little more competition next year and won’t be quite as dominate. Vinales and Quartararo could win 5 or 6 between them, Rossi might sneak one in and the Ducs will win a few, in the 3-5 range. Hell, Marquez might finish a race off the podium once or twice!
    But yeah, he’ll still win half the races, or close to it, get good points at the rest and wrap up the championship with several races to go.

Suzuki I fear will go backwards a bit. They need both more motor and to fix their qualifying issues. Don’t expect them to win a race.
    Rich Desmond
    1980 GS1000S
    2007 V-Strom 650
    2008 Ducati 848
    2002 DR-Z400S
    1999 SV650 (race bike)

You lot are missing Jack! Yes I'm biased

But he's shown improvements in maturity big time this year and a few times he's most definitely shown he can slow himself down to conserve tyres for a push towards the end. He's also slipped off less than he used to. Still can't see him taking over from Marquez unfortunately (Marquez is just ridiculously good on that Honda) but I think we'll see Jack spending more time up in that top 3 to 5 than he did this year. He'll also be on the same machinery as Dovi and Petrucci.

I've not seen much of Alex Marquez to make a guess there but it'll be interesting to see how the dynamics of the brothers goes.

Quartararo will be one to watch for sure, especially if they make his Yamaha better, and I think Vinales will continue to be sporadic, I don't see him having the consistency to really challenge Marquez.

I'd also really like to see the Suzuki up there, I like Rins and he had a great start to this year but couldn't capitalise on it for whatever reasons.
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    You lot are missing Jack! Yes I'm biased

But he's shown improvements in maturity big time this year and a few times he's most definitely shown he can slow himself down to conserve tyres for a push towards the end. He's also slipped off less than he used to. Still can't see him taking over from Marquez unfortunately (Marquez is just ridiculously good on that Honda) but I think we'll see Jack spending more time up in that top 3 to 5 than he did this year. He'll also be on the same machinery as Dovi and Petrucci...
    Well, I was thinking of him when I wrote, "the Ducs will win a few, in the 3-5 range."
    Jack should get 1-2 of those.
    Going to Ducati has been good for him, I'm not sure that Honda did him any favors by promoting him directly from Moto 3 to MotoGP.
    Rich Desmond
    1980 GS1000S
    2007 V-Strom 650
    2008 Ducati 848
    2002 DR-Z400S
    1999 SV650 (race bike)

salty_monk is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

The commentary I was watching said Jack would be best served by staying where he is but being given more factory personnel (i.e. he has the full factory bike already but not the same support as the full factory teams).

I'd like to see more close racing with Marc next year, it looks like we have exciting new blood in WSB & BSB too..

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold

www.agadisplay.com
    www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Definitely keen to see close racing! The few battles with Marquez vs. Quartararo this year were good but go back to Dovi vs. Marquez race long battles and that was a whole different story. Last year had some great races with ridiculous numbers of overtakes and that's what we'd all like to see I'm sure!

Maybe stick 'em all back on Moto3 bikes?
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

I think that next season will be another Marquez championship as he's still operating at a level above everyone else and will face pretty much the same adversaries. But the year after that I expect to see a significant change over in the paddock with stalwarts like Rossi and Crutchlow departing and replaced by younger riders. By then Marc won't be the fast wunderkind rider anymore but rather the old veteran and he'll be facing a whole new generation of fast hot shots.
    Chris
    current fleet:
    1976 Honda GL1000 - 1978 Suzuki GS1000C - 1979 Suzuki GS1000S - 1981 Honda CM400C
    1986 Suzuki RG500G - 1988 BMW R100RS - 1991 BMW K100RS - 1997 Suzuki GSF1200

I agree if Marc Marquez stays healthy, he's probably going to win the title in 2020, his brother Alex will struggle to get top 6's (maybe even top 10's) unless he figures out that Honda GP bike quickly.

One rider not mentioned is Joan Mir on the Suzuki, he has started to out qualify his team mate and even finished ahead of him once or twice this year.

When he was in Moto3 he showed incredible race craft and won that title in 2017 convincingly.

He only did one year in Moto2 so he hasn't been grabbing the headlines much lately, but I think he will be on the podium this year on certain tracks and should be a regular contender for podiums 2021 "if" Suzuki can get their bike to qualify up front consistently.

Would be nice to see Fabio get a few wins next year, he really came out of nowhere this year, his Moto2 record did not show his potential, but his junior record prior to Moto3 were much more impressive.

If you look at the final points for 2019 it would look like it MM totally dominated the show and it was a pretty boring season, but I thought it was an amazing season and even though Marquez dominated the title chase, he was challenged at most races and the 5 or 6 times he was 2nd it was an incredible battle, there were very few races that were predicable or boring.

Looking forward to 2020, it should be epic.

David
    Last edited by Kiwi Canuck; 11-22-2019 at 10:29 AM.
    2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
    2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
    1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
    2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
    1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
    1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
    1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
    Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Nessism is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
    One rider not mentioned is Joan Mir on the Suzuki, he has started to out qualify his team mate and even finished ahead of him once or twice this year.

When he was in Moto3 he showed incredible race craft and won that title in 2017 convincingly.
    Mir was incredible in 2017. Despite elbow to elbow racing that is Moto3 he won 10 times that year. I hope he continues to adapt and that Suzuki sticks with him. His potential is yet to be realized.

I think it will be more of the same last year. Marquez dominated on a bike that is probably 3rd best. With inevitable improvements, only he can beat himself. Quarteraro needs to learn to win at this level. He's fast, but Marquez played with him this season. IF Yamaha can get more power, and Vinales can learn to ride with a full tank, he could win a few more. Rins and Mir will get what the Suzuki can get them, it's not a lack of talent there, but while the bike handles well, it is just lacking a bit. Binder could become a factor as the season progresses, depending on how the KTM improves. But I'll be surprised if he surpasses Pol this season, and more surprised if he doesn't next season. The Valentino farewell tour will be uneventful. Dovi is the best that Ducati has, and it is just not enough. May be a couple wins at tracks that favor the Duc, but crashes at inopportune times. But I still can't wait until the season starts again!

Will Little-Bro Marquez beat Rossi in 2020 someplace? Woh, I'd retire befo I let that happen to me…just sayin'
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored