Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

track tires

i have a 83 gs750es what tires is everybody using at the race track thanks

If you're keeping the OEM wheels, then you'll have to choose a street bias ply, or Avon motorcycle race tires.
    If you can adapt 17" wheels front and rear, you can choose from many street & track tire brands.
    Of the street bias ply brands, I'd try Pirelli Sport Demons, Bridgestone Battlax 45, or even Shinko 712.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

The verbiage for the Avon AM26 Roadrider is confusing. I'm pretty sure that's the same tire that a lot of us use on the street. Therefore, mine do get used on my annual day at Gingerman. I take about 4 psi out of them for track day, and wear is accelerated but even across the carcass. Apparently, my suspension is also reasonably close to correctly tuned, because the tread blocks don't show any funny business. I don't lean over far enough to drag pegs (we're not actually racing, so we do keep some margin). That said, I hang off as far as I can to maximize cornering clearance.I don't often get passed in corners.

I did overwhelm the front end under braking that one time. I'm about 250 pounds without gear, and the bike is a GS1000G. So if you're a reasonable size, those tires would have a much easier time with your 700.

I don't mean to say that I recommend them. That's just my report on experience with them on track. For my bike and skill level, I don't see a need to buy a set of super-stickies for one day.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
      X