Storing my bike in Arizona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storing my bike in Arizona

Hi all GSR members, I am going to try this again. This is like my 3rd try at writing this thread and every time I go to submit it, it seems as though I have been timed out and the auto save feature is not saving all that I type. So bear with me as this may take more than one posting.

I started my mission to transplant my Honda ST1100 to the warm climate of Mesa Arizona for the winter with intentions of being able to fly in whenever the seasonal affective disorder (SAD) hit me.
    On Nov. 4th, I left home in 37 degree temperature heading to Liberal Kansas. As you might expect, the road to Liberal is quite flat, straight and boring. On the 2nd day I rode into Albuquerque where I was able to meet up with Roger, aka Burque73 on the forum. We had about a 2 hr. visit and then I went to the hotel for the night.

The following day, I was planning on riding to Socorro and then take US 60 over the mountains and stop in Pie Town to sample some pie. As I was riding south, I could see the clouds over the mountains and it was raining so I decided to continue south as I wanted to avoid as much of the rain as possible.

The road took me to Truth or Consequences where I picked up some state highway towards Lordsburg. I stopped in Lordsburg and fueled up the Honda then parked the bike and went inside to have lunch. As I was finishing up, I reached for my wallet to leave a tip and my wallet was gone. You know that hollow feeling you get in the pit of your stomach when something like that happens? Well so did I. I quickly went to the cashier and left my jacket with her and told her I would be right back then I checked all over and around the bike but no wallet. I asked the clerk inside if anyone had turned in a lost wallet but I knew the answer before hearing it. No such luck.

My next move was to go to the police dept. and file a report of lost wallet so I would have some sort of proof that I had just lost it in the event I got pulled over for any reason.

As I was heading towards Tucson a couple of hours after losing the wallet, I received a call from my wife telling me someone had found the missing wallet. I carry a card with my emergency contact info on it just for this reason. Anyway, I called the person who had called my wife and she agreed to send it to my sister's house with my name on the package.
    To make a long story short, 9 days passed without any wallet in the mail. Come to find out the post office didn't deliver the package due to insufficient postage. I had to pay the due postage and then I had my wallet.

As luck would have it, the only thing missing was the cash I was carrying and I had already cancelled the credit cards so no fraud was committed. I was trying to line up transportation back home but without a driver's license, it wasn't going to happen. I got the wallet back but the only thing I could do that made sense was to rent a car for my return trip home.

The car rental option worked out well as I was able to go from Mesa to Frederick, Co. where my daughter lives so I got to spend some time with her and my two granddaughters before coming on home.

Sorry for making this so long, and to those of you who read it all, thank you. I will have some pics to post shortly.
    Last edited by alke46; 11-24-2019, 09:50 PM. Reason: additional info
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Larry,

You know I just gotta say it...…..Get ya one of them there Harley wallets with a chain! LOL

Seriously, sorry to hear about your misfortune. Sounds like a little missing postage caused a LOT more problems! Can't wait to see some pictures!
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1982 GS1100E
    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Here I am enjoying the beautiful sunny, warmth of Arizona

IMG_20191112_123816027 by Larry Alkire, on Flickr
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

While inside the saloon/restaurant at Tortilla Flat. Dollar bills pasted everywhere. As I was sitting at the bar, there was one dollar pasted to the wall right in front of me from someone who had written, Omaha, Ne. on it. That seems to be the thing to do, post your location on the bill then paste it to the wall.

IMG_20191117_135638664 by Larry Alkire, on Flickr

IMG_20191117_135633815 by Larry Alkire, on Flickr
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Ah, that’s what you meant by “things got a little crazy”.

I do do look forward to more of your pics and story of your adventures.
          Keep in mind that pictures of blue sky and sunshine and folks in tee shirts can get to be a bit annoying to some of us this time of year (as you probably know).

so you can make more trips there to annoy folks in my place since I will not be making winter trips to San Diego anymore.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

While at my daughter's house in Frederick, Co. as I walked around a lake in her neighborhood. All of these carvings are done by chainsaws during the chainsaw carving festival that is held annually in Frederick during a 3 or 4 day event I believe at the end of May or maybe the early part of June.

IMG_20191119_141111629_HDR by Larry Alkire, on Flickr

IMG_20191119_141100405 by Larry Alkire, on Flickr

IMG_20191119_135622495_HDR by Larry Alkire, on Flickr

IMG_20191119_135609578_HDR by Larry Alkire, on Flickr

IMG_20191119_140934552_HDR by Larry Alkire, on Flickr

IMG_20191119_140923318_HDR by Larry Alkire, on Flickr
            Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
              Ah, that’s what you meant by “things got a little crazy”.

I do do look forward to more of your pics and story of your adventures.
              Keep in mind that pictures of blue sky and sunshine and folks in tee shirts can get to be a bit annoying to some of us this time of year (as you probably know).

so you can make more trips there to annoy folks in my place since I will not be making winter trips to San Diego anymore.
              Hi Dave, yeah I will be going back on Jan. 21st for a two week planned tour of Arizona, Nevada and parts of California, weather permitting.
              Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Good luck with the timing, Larry. January and February are the rainy season.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well I left all my gear with the bike, including rain gear so if it rains, at least it should be a warm rain. Maybe.
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Yikes. Tough one about the wallet. Glad it went well otherwise.
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Losing a wallet on the road has got to be tough break. One time I forgot my debit card in an ATM machine in Akron, OH when I was living in Flint, MI. By the time I realized what happened I was in Toledo with no way to pay for the gas I needed to make it back home. Luckily I had a lady friend living not too far away who helped me out.

The ST1100 is on my short list if I where to get a touring bike, I hear that drivetrain is good for 200k miles.
                      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I was Michican once and an ATM took my debit card. It never came out.... I had to call the bank, but it wasnt a disaster as I cash on hand.
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                          Losing a wallet on the road has got to be tough break. One time I forgot my debit card in an ATM machine in Akron, OH when I was living in Flint, MI. By the time I realized what happened I was in Toledo with no way to pay for the gas I needed to make it back home. Luckily I had a lady friend living not too far away who helped me out.

The ST1100 is on my short list if I where to get a touring bike, I hear that drivetrain is good for 200k miles.
                          Yeah, they claim the drivetrain is good for 200-250 thousand miles. I have owned this bike since 1997 and now have nearly 142K on it and it has never left me stranded on the side of the road. You know what they say, if it's a Honda it will never let you down but it will be a boring bike as well.
                          I used to feel pretty confident pushing it in corners -- until I bought the Triumph and found out how nimble it was. Now the Honda feels like a heavy pig in the corners.
                          Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

And oh by the way, the st1100 is for sale. As soon as I get back to Mesa, I have a CL ad all set for posting. Hopefully I can sell it there.
                            Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Hey, Larry, When I recommended having a bike in a distance place that you would visit, that was with the idea of repeat visits. har har har

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                              X