Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Super Low MPG

Quote Originally Posted by Nessism View Post
    No disrespect to Mr. jimhickcox but threads like this typically follow the following theme: the brethren here at GSR offer possible ideas for the root cause of the issue and the OP (original poster) shoots them all down. Simple matter of act is that a bone stock 1st gen GS750 should be able to fairly easily average 40+mpg if everything is up to snuff on the machine. If the bike is not able to match this it's time to dig into routine maintenance first and troubleshooting secondly. Compression, spark, fuel. Go back to basics until the problem is solved.
    I don't feel disrespected. I'm trying the possible ideas for the root cause that the brethren suggested, and once I see how that pans out I'll dive into the routine maintenance. Didn't mean to be shooting anything down, I'm just still working on the suggestions from posts five pages ago, so the ideas are running way ahead of where I'm at. My wrench is slower than the internet. I appreciate the rainbow of solutions that have been offered up and I'll chip away at them over a month or two.

Nessism is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by jimhickcox View Post
    I'm trying the possible ideas for the root cause that the brethren suggested, and once I see how that pans out I'll dive into the routine maintenance.
    You're approaching it backwards. Maintenance first. You might want to check out the Newbie Mistakes thread linked in my signature since it details out such things.

You're approaching it backwards. Maintenance first. You might want to check out the Newbie Mistakes thread linked in my signature since it details out such things.
    Post #9 from cowboyup3371...applies to this thread.

https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ewbie-Mistakes

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

The fact that you infer my non-acceptance is what I'm talking about. (31Jan2021)
    Quote Originally Posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

..., I'm just still working on the suggestions from posts five pages ago, ...
    This has just gotten into the SECOND page. Sounds like you also need to update your settings on the forum.

At the top of the page, you will see "Forum" and "What's New" tabs. Make sure "Forum" is selected.
    In the blue bar just below that, select "Forum Actions", then "General Settings" in the drop-down window that appears.
    Scroll down to the "Thread Display" section.
    In the "Thread Display Mode", select "Linear - Oldest First".
    In the "Number of Posts ...", select "Show 40 Posts Per Page".
    Drop down to the bottom of the page and Save your changes.

These changes will let you read a thread from top to bottom, as it happens, instead of bouncing around with all the new posts on top. It also minimizes the hassles of loading page after page on longer threads.

mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

I've read the newbie mistakes. I've been reading the forum pretty actively for a couple of years. And I totally understand the fundamental aspects of your advice, we just have different operating understandings of this: y'all have no reason to have any faith in me, my mechanic, or the PO's mechanic, while I do have faith in all three of us. So from where I'm sitting, this bike is up to date on basic maintenance which was why I asked for thoughts on why it might be chewing through fuel even though everything basic seems to be in order. Which is why the answer I got early, about my own misunderstanding about the fuel adjustment screws, is the most enticing answer for me. And one that I am trying, to see if it pans out. I can understand why, for a bunch of you, this bike you've never seen is probably in wild disrepair and that's the problem. But I'm going to try out the solution that fits with my understanding of my motorcycle, and I'm going to continue keeping things up to date by the charts. Maybe I'll go into the valves early, because clearly that would make a bunch of you feel better, but since they were adjusted by a professional ~2000 miles ago I'm going to assume that the dumb thing I set wrong is more likely the cause in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by GSXR7ED View Post
    Post #9 from cowboyup3371...applies to this thread.

https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ewbie-Mistakes

Ed

I apologize if it feels like I've been disrespectful to y'all. It feels to me like I got a bunch of good suggestions and then several posts chastising me for not doing maintenance that was already performed by a professional, but I understand now that you all would feel better if I did it anyway, and I surely will as soon as I can. Regardless, if it seems that I've been rude or not listening to advice I am more than happy to bow out of this thread.

I apologize if it feels like I've been disrespectful to y'all. It feels to me like I got a bunch of good suggestions and then several posts chastising me for not doing maintenance that was already performed by a professional, but I understand now that you all would feel better if I did it anyway, and I surely will as soon as I can. Regardless, if it seems that I've been rude or not listening to advice I am more than happy to bow out of this thread.
    Don't feel like being chased away.

It's more of a learned experience.

One must be tactful in responses to others on here...that's all. Figuring that out takes time.

No disrespect is seen. You would have left this thread by now had you not appreciated the help.

Still...it's your call. We're just messin' with you...and also helping you figure out this site.

Ed
    Last edited by GSXR7ED; 11-30-2019 at 10:20 AM.
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

The fact that you infer my non-acceptance is what I'm talking about. (31Jan2021)
    Quote Originally Posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

... maintenance that was already performed by a professional, ...
    ... since they were adjusted by a professional ...
    I've been reading the forum pretty actively for a couple of years.
    If you really have been reading the forum for a couple of years, hopefully you have also been paying attention. You should have noticed that our collective opinion of "professional" mechanics is barely above the general public's opinion of lawyers. Once in a (great) while, you might find one that is decent, but most of them rely on the fact that the definition of "professional" only means that they are paid for the job, not that they are good at it.

Nessism is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
    If you really have been reading the forum for a couple of years, hopefully you have also been paying attention. You should have noticed that our collective opinion of "professional" mechanics is barely above the general public's opinion of lawyers. Once in a (great) while, you might find one that is decent, but most of them rely on the fact that the definition of "professional" only means that they are paid for the job, not that they are good at it.

Great post! Made me laugh!

Hang in there, Jim.
    Occasionally the delivery of info can be "direct" but the content is almost always spot-on.
    2@ \'78 GS1000