Super Low MPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
    Post #9 from cowboyup3371...applies to this thread.

1A) (NEW) Trying to diagnose running problems on a bike with an unknown maintenance history. Common maintenance items like clean carbs, properly adjusted valves, no air leaks in the intake system (airbox, carb boots), a clean gas tank (no rust), and a properly functioning petcock are 100% mandatory for the bike to run properly.

Ed

I apologize if it feels like I've been disrespectful to y'all. It feels to me like I got a bunch of good suggestions and then several posts chastising me for not doing maintenance that was already performed by a professional, but I understand now that you all would feel better if I did it anyway, and I surely will as soon as I can. Regardless, if it seems that I've been rude or not listening to advice I am more than happy to bow out of this thread.
    1978 GS750E, 1981 GS550T (550/673), 1979 Puch Maxi

Comment

Originally posted by jimhickcox View Post
      I apologize if it feels like I've been disrespectful to y'all. It feels to me like I got a bunch of good suggestions and then several posts chastising me for not doing maintenance that was already performed by a professional, but I understand now that you all would feel better if I did it anyway, and I surely will as soon as I can. Regardless, if it seems that I've been rude or not listening to advice I am more than happy to bow out of this thread.
      Don't feel like being chased away.

It's more of a learned experience.

One must be tactful in responses to others on here...that's all. Figuring that out takes time.

No disrespect is seen. You would have left this thread by now had you not appreciated the help.

Still...it's your call. We're just messin' with you...and also helping you figure out this site.

Ed
      Last edited by GSXR7ED; 11-30-2019, 10:20 AM.
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

... maintenance that was already performed by a professional, ...
        ... since they were adjusted by a professional ...
        I've been reading the forum pretty actively for a couple of years.
        If you really have been reading the forum for a couple of years, hopefully you have also been paying attention. You should have noticed that our collective opinion of "professional" mechanics is barely above the general public's opinion of lawyers. Once in a (great) while, you might find one that is decent, but most of them rely on the fact that the definition of "professional" only means that they are paid for the job, not that they are good at it.

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
          If you really have been reading the forum for a couple of years, hopefully you have also been paying attention. You should have noticed that our collective opinion of "professional" mechanics is barely above the general public's opinion of lawyers. Once in a (great) while, you might find one that is decent, but most of them rely on the fact that the definition of "professional" only means that they are paid for the job, not that they are good at it.

Great post! Made me laugh!
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Hang in there, Jim.
            Occasionally the delivery of info can be "direct" but the content is almost always spot-on.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Hey Jim, I've got an idea. Maybe just do like the most others do, read thru the opinions & "you" make the decisions of what to do & when. Something is way off, you're using near double the gas you should be using. You said 20 mpg, 28 mpg. I know a good running GS750 should get at least 40, & near 50 mpg. It seems strange it is running that good if running that much gas thru the cylinders. It will be interesting to hear what finally fixes it. Just my opinion
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
              X