Super Low MPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
    How do you know when the valves were last adjusted? Do you have service records from the previous owner?
    Good point! I did my own and posted it in one of my threads.

Lots of interactions going on in this thread. Do's and Don'ts are always fun to read.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

How do you know when the valves were last adjusted? Do you have service records from the previous owner?
      Yeah. Is there another way to know?
      1978 GS750E, 1981 GS550T (550/673), 1979 Puch Maxi

Comment

FYI I'm at a half turn on my fuel screws right now and it's still driving the same, although it's idling slightly lower.

Comment

What's the setting on the air screws?

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            What's the setting on the air screws?
            One and a half.

Comment

Originally posted by jimhickcox View Post
              Remove the valve cover and check it yourself now - will only take a few minutes to check and a few days to get shims and a gasket if you need to adjust any of them
              sigpic
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Have you considered the PO may have adjusted the valves badly? The only way to know is to check them yourself. Do it and eliminate the valves are the problem. If not, everything else you do to fix your MPG issue will be in doubt..
                -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
                  Have you considered the PO may have adjusted the valves badly? The only way to know is to check them yourself. Do it and eliminate the valves are the problem. If not, everything else you do to fix your MPG issue will be in doubt..
                  Process of elimination...good idea!

Ed
                  GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                  Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

No disrespect to Mr. jimhickcox but threads like this typically follow the following theme: the brethren here at GSR offer possible ideas for the root cause of the issue and the OP (original poster) shoots them all down. Simple matter of act is that a bone stock 1st gen GS750 should be able to fairly easily average 40+mpg if everything is up to snuff on the machine. If the bike is not able to match this it's time to dig into routine maintenance first and troubleshooting secondly. Compression, spark, fuel. Go back to basics until the problem is solved.
                    Last edited by Nessism; 11-29-2019, 02:10 PM.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Totally agree with nessism on the PM (Preventative Maintenance).

As for the dialogue, well that happens. Lots of personalities on here so smart-alecs abound...lol.

Ed
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

No disrespect to Mr. jimhickcox but threads like this typically follow the following theme: the brethren here at GSR offer possible ideas for the root cause of the issue and the OP (original poster) shoots them all down. Simple matter of act is that a bone stock 1st gen GS750 should be able to fairly easily average 40+mpg if everything is up to snuff on the machine. If the bike is not able to match this it's time to dig into routine maintenance first and troubleshooting secondly. Compression, spark, fuel. Go back to basics until the problem is solved.
                        I don't feel disrespected. I'm trying the possible ideas for the root cause that the brethren suggested, and once I see how that pans out I'll dive into the routine maintenance. Didn't mean to be shooting anything down, I'm just still working on the suggestions from posts five pages ago, so the ideas are running way ahead of where I'm at. My wrench is slower than the internet. I appreciate the rainbow of solutions that have been offered up and I'll chip away at them over a month or two.

Comment

I'm trying the possible ideas for the root cause that the brethren suggested, and once I see how that pans out I'll dive into the routine maintenance.
                          You're approaching it backwards. Maintenance first. You might want to check out the Newbie Mistakes thread linked in my signature since it details out such things.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

You're approaching it backwards. Maintenance first. You might want to check out the Newbie Mistakes thread linked in my signature since it details out such things.
                            Post #9 from cowboyup3371...applies to this thread.

1A) (NEW) Trying to diagnose running problems on a bike with an unknown maintenance history. Common maintenance items like clean carbs, properly adjusted valves, no air leaks in the intake system (airbox, carb boots), a clean gas tank (no rust), and a properly functioning petcock are 100% mandatory for the bike to run properly.

Ed
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

..., I'm just still working on the suggestions from posts five pages ago, ...
                              This has just gotten into the SECOND page. Sounds like you also need to update your settings on the forum.

At the top of the page, you will see "Forum" and "What's New" tabs. Make sure "Forum" is selected.
                              In the blue bar just below that, select "Forum Actions", then "General Settings" in the drop-down window that appears.
                              Scroll down to the "Thread Display" section.
                              In the "Thread Display Mode", select "Linear - Oldest First".
                              In the "Number of Posts ...", select "Show 40 Posts Per Page".
                              Drop down to the bottom of the page and Save your changes.

These changes will let you read a thread from top to bottom, as it happens, instead of bouncing around with all the new posts on top. It also minimizes the hassles of loading page after page on longer threads.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I've read the newbie mistakes. I've been reading the forum pretty actively for a couple of years. And I totally understand the fundamental aspects of your advice, we just have different operating understandings of this: y'all have no reason to have any faith in me, my mechanic, or the PO's mechanic, while I do have faith in all three of us. So from where I'm sitting, this bike is up to date on basic maintenance which was why I asked for thoughts on why it might be chewing through fuel even though everything basic seems to be in order. Which is why the answer I got early, about my own misunderstanding about the fuel adjustment screws, is the most enticing answer for me. And one that I am trying, to see if it pans out. I can understand why, for a bunch of you, this bike you've never seen is probably in wild disrepair and that's the problem. But I'm going to try out the solution that fits with my understanding of my motorcycle, and I'm going to continue keeping things up to date by the charts. Maybe I'll go into the valves early, because clearly that would make a bunch of you feel better, but since they were adjusted by a professional ~2000 miles ago I'm going to assume that the dumb thing I set wrong is more likely the cause in this situation.

Comment

Working...
                                X