Waterproof, insulated boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waterproof, insulated boots

Hi peeps, can anyone reccomend any insulated, waterproof boots at a reasonable price ? My feet suffer badly from the cold, now i'm well into my 70s and warm feet would make riding the bike in winter a pleasure again. I haven't found any bike boots that have good thermal insulation, so how about insulated hiking boots, snow boots, etc, any first hand experience with these kinds of boot for use on a bike ? Any advice, information, most welcome, many thanks.

How about using the foot warmer pads inserted in the boot. They actually stick to the bottom of your socks and are supposed to work for up to 10 houirs. Also a lot cheaper than buying new boots.
    I bought some for my last cold ride but as it turned out I didn't need them.

Same type of heated pads as the hand warmers. I don't know if you can get them in your country though, so check out Amazon.

You didn't mention it, but what kind of boot are you wearing now when you ride?
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

I'd go with alke46's suggestion.(disposable chemical-type hand-warmer packets) tucked in.

Otherwise, electrically-heated socks might be available from hunter's supply stores. ...I used to have a pair with heating elements in the toes that worked on flashlight batteries..but not for long ! They could be modded or even homemade to suit plugging in to 12v system but the handwarmer packets are way less nuisance if you try them and they work for you.

As to "insulated hiking boots, snow boots, etc," you need be careful they are not so bulky as to interfere with the gear change lever. The gear change lever will wear through fabric boots by the way...Also, heavily cleated soles per hiking boots are not great.
      Personally, I wear decent, "real" touring motorcycle boots of a large enough size to allow heavy socks (these are cooler in summer too, though maybe too loose for long walks then). However they are pricey unless you don't mind second-hand. and, I'd look for the gortex ones..not the cheapest in other words.

Comment

My experience with Goretex is horrible! They're too hot and don't breathe which makes your feet sweat and turn cold in the long run.

Having spent quite a few years standing in one spot all day behind a surveying instrument the best footwear in cold weather is felt lined pack boots such as Sorels. They're big and bulky and may not work too well on the bike although I've used them on a three wheel ATV with little trouble.The upside is you can get them used and just swap out the felt liners easily which almost completely removes any trace of it's former owner wearing them.

Short of that, a good pair of heavy leather hiking boots with REAL wool socks is hard to beat. Do not under any circumstances wear cotton socks in cool or cold weather, they trap moisture and you'll get cold fast. Don't listen to what all the know it alls claim to know, Sno Seal is a great weatherproofer and won't destroy the ability to resole them like so many people claim it will. The chemical hand warmers are a good trick too, I use those in my sleeping bag when it gets cold.
        1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
        1982 GS450txz (former bike)
        LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

"Motorcycle" boots are way overpriced. Look for waterproof work boots with a smooth sole, get those for half the price of "motorcycle" boots.
          I wore out the soles of a pair of waterproof work boots, so I got those resoled with smooth heelless soles for half the price and have been using those only for riding.
          Get the boots oversized so you can wear thin polyester socks inside heavy wool socks.
          You can also buy waterproof over boots for real cheap, and only use those in wet weather: Tour Master Deluxe Rain Boot Covers
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I've never seen motorcycle boots with insulation. But sturdy leather work boots offer very good protection, so if you pick a pair with a reasonably slim toe so you can shift, you should be good.

Motorcycle-specific street boots do have some useful specific protective features built in, like internal side plates that help protect your ankle bones. But mostly it's the external shape that makes them work better for riding; a slimmer toe with abrasion protection for easier shifting, and a slimmer, rounded sole shaped to make it easier to move around on the bike. Some sporty boots have toe sliders and added impact protection.

And of course dual-sport and off-road boots have more specific protective features as well.

And yeah, I'll agree that Gore-Tex is overhyped crap, possibly even a scam. I've never had acceptable performance from expensive Gore-Tex gear, and the much-vaunted "keeps you dry" guarantee is 100% BS. Bah humbug.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

And yeah, I'll agree that Gore-Tex is overhyped crap, possibly even a scam. I've never had acceptable performance from expensive Gore-Tex gear, and the much-vaunted "keeps you dry" guarantee is 100% BS. Bah humbug.
              I've had the opposite experience with my Gore-Tex boots by TCX. I retired them from riding last season after about 10 years and maybe 60,000 miles. They've been through two low-sides, but I retired them because the leather is tearing away from the shifter protector thingies. Still absolutely waterproof, and they're serving as my winter-time stomp around a mushy field or deep snow boots. They do start to get cold after prolonged exposure to snow, but they've never been never wet inside, and they were never uncomfortably warm, even in 100°F heat in Southern Indiana. I just had a local shoe repair guy glue the soles back on. He didn't think it would work, but I got him to try anyway. They seem to be holding after a morning of hauling brush to a chipper. The replacement boots got plenty wet this summer at BC. There was some flooding, and I walked out into a potential water crossing until I was afraid water would start flowing over the top of the boot. Not a drop inside.

Those two pair of boots are the only Gore-Tex I've ever coughed up the cash for, so I can't claim that's typical. It feels like money well spent. I have heard that other brand of water-proofing are not as good. Fortnine did a few tests, but I can't remember the results. I do have some Alpinestars rain gloves with whatever waterproof breathable thing they used. Drystar, I think. It works, but I've only used them a few times. I don't like to use rain gloves, because of the liner that clings to barely wet hands and makes them impossible to put on.
              Last edited by Dogma; 12-05-2019, 11:33 PM.
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Cold-weather hunters and primitive campers have known this for years, so I'll share it here.

The best combination to achieve waterproof footwear (other than rubber overshoes) is to forget about Gore-Tex lined boots, and instead purchase the highest quality leather boots you can, 1/2 size oversized, then invest in a pair of Gore-Tex socks.

Use saddle soap to clean and then mink oil to protect the boots, which makes them very water resistant. Wear the Gore-Tex socks over your thin wool socks and under the boots. If they become soiled, it is critical to clean them per the manufacturer instructions. If you want warm and water proof, buy a pair of boots one size larger than you need, and wear heavy wool hunting socks under the Gore-Tex socks. Wear wool, not cotton, it is much more comfortable.

If taken care of properly, they should last a couple years before losing effectiveness, and are much more reasonably priced to replace than boots.

https://www.amazon.com/Rocky-Gore-te...stBingcampaign

Of course, like LAB3 said, if you want the ultimate waterproof and warm footwear, Sorels are the way to go. However, they are too bulky for motorcycle use, but work great for riding snowmobiles.
                sigpic

SUZUKI:
                1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

They make heated socks and vests/jackets. Keeping your core temp helps the hands and feet a bit.
                  Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                  Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                  Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Working...
                  X