1983 Suzuki GS1100ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 Suzuki GS1100ES

Thought I would start a rebuild thread for this project. If you're interested in the history of the bike and how it got to this point check this thread out
    This area is to be used only for general GS topics. For non-GS related topics, join the Off-Topic usergroup. <b>Technical questions are not to be posted here.</b>

Finally got started on the tear down.

2019-12-01_03-57-57 by Rob Ert, on Flickr

20191201_133951_resized (Custom) by Rob Ert, on Flickr

20191201_135501_resized (Custom) by Rob Ert, on Flickr

20191201_143642_resized (Custom) by Rob Ert, on Flickr

20191201_143844_resized (Custom) by Rob Ert, on Flickr

haven't pulled the valves yet but by the looks of the piston every intake valved tapped. Certainly heard some metal when I took the base off, never heard that noise before, very odd.
    So....it's going to be a full engine rebuild, top and bottom. While I'm at it I might as well do a complete tear down and do the whole thing. I'm guessing I'll go with Weisco pistons since it'll need a bit of a hone and the camshafts are a bit worn so I'm guessing I might as well put in some mild cams, etc..etc..etc.. It's not really what I had planned for the bike but while I'm in there I might as well. I doubt I'll be very fast with this rebuild as my days off have shortened considerably since the last time I was rebuilding a bike and I'm having way too much fun dirt riding but it will get done, eventually
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Following. That looks like a nice solid bike well worth rebuilding.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Good looking bike. Enjoy the build !!!

I know your pain...

After getting my 77 GS 750 up and running, the second day I rode it, I was doing some spirited riding as well...

I can only assume during someones rebuild or ??? their torque wrench was probably set wrong. Two bolts were stripped out causing the other 2 to break off deep in the head. This is why I have a build going on in this sub category as well LOL.

This is what I noticed the moment the valve cover was removed...The two rears are stripped.

08.25.2019 296.jpg
      Current:
      1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
      1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
      1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
      1998 Chevy C2500
      1999 Rav4

Comment

OUCH ! ! !

Looks like those were taken off, and tightened by a gorilla with a cheap 9/16 socket.
        '83 GS 1100T
        The Jet

sigpic
        '95 GSXR 750w
        The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
          The only thing I see wrong is what looks like a missing inboard adjuster on #2 Exhaust. Not sure how that could cause all the intakes valves to hit.

The main thing i would suspect is that you had a stock chain adjuster and it put too much slack into the chain changing timing and caused all the intake valves to hit. The missing adjuster probably has nothing to do with it although you would have only had one exhaust valve on #2 .

Probably best to do all the maintenance before flogging an old beast like that.

Comment

Well I finally got around to tearing the engine apart, not good news.

IMG_20201130_141255 by Rob Ert, on Flickr

IMG_20201130_141238 by Rob Ert, on Flickr

IMG_20201130_141404 by Rob Ert, on Flickr

IMG_20201130_141356 by Rob Ert, on Flickr
            Rob
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

1135 tme.....
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Thread revival!

Last year’s reply...posplayr!

Sooooo, what’s 1135 time, Glen? Because of the internal damage? (Obviously)

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Yes, this situation is more like "new engine time". I'm not sure if the large allen head bolt was actually from the engine, I found it on the bench under the engine after I took it apart. I'm thinking it's not because I cannot think of where an allen bolt would go inside the engine. The other one is psplayr's missing adjuster. I've never heard of one of those coming loose before but I guess they do.
                  Rob

Comment

Check your starter clutch bolts. (Ask me how I know???)
                    Ron
                    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                    1982 GS1100E
                    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Any updates, Rob? Want to sell it as a roller?

Where's a vulture emoji when you need one?
                      2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                      2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Working...
                      X