No announcement yet.

81 GS650E Sprocket sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m with you guys now, that makes sense. Thanks for the input. According to everything I can find, standard is 44 on the rear, would 1 tooth on the rear smaller have any real impact?? It has 45 on the rear st the moment.
    Last edited by Gs650eAUS; 12-07-2019, 06:09 PM.
    81 GS650e

Comment

you may find the Gearing Commander calculator interesting.
      Though this site uses theoretical numbers, not taking into account
      the bike may not perform the way the numbers would lead to believe,
      it is probably pretty good when deviating not too much from standard gearing.

Motorcycle speed and sprocket calculator with bike database for gearing, sprockets, tires and chains of over 1900 bikes. Request yours to be added as well.

It does not have the GS650 in the database but playing with the GS550
      gearing may provide answers.
      Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
      VM Carb rebuild tutorial
      Bikecliff's website
      The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Thanks Rijko,

i’ll check It out ��
        81 GS650e

Comment

hint : playing around with the rear sprocket 1 or 2 teeth will make a difference of 150-200 rpm at cruising speed, and make a difference of a few miles at top speed.
          Up the drive ratio any more (front or rear sprocket) will take the bike out of its comfort zone and negatively affect gas usage, top speed, performance, etc.

Unlike your cool powerful Holdens, a relatively high-rpm, low-power bike like the GS650 will not be able to cope with big changes to the drive ratio. It needs to rev.
          Last edited by Rijko; 12-07-2019, 09:34 PM.
          Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
          VM Carb rebuild tutorial
          Bikecliff's website
          The Stator Papers

Comment

Understood, thanks again!
            81 GS650e

Comment

i believe the GS650GT or GM uses camshafts that deliver 10HP more than the regular GS650. That would allow you some leeway.
              But i am definately not well versed on the GS650, if that should interest you other members will probably chime in.
              Last edited by Rijko; 12-07-2019, 09:58 PM.
              Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
              VM Carb rebuild tutorial
              Bikecliff's website
              The Stator Papers

Comment

Awesome, I wasn’t aware of that! Might try and suss it out down the track. It seems to go fairly well as it is so not really necessary but i’ll certainly look into it. Thanks
                81 GS650e

Comment

Just to add to this old thread.........15 front and 44 rear is near to 3 to 1 ratio.........going up 1 tooth on the front would equate to going down 3 teeth on the rear.

New to these bikes and looking at what is factory and the effects of the changes.

On my XS650, (totally different bike) the torque is very low compared to the GS650E. The sprocket ratio is 2 to 1, (17 tooth front, 34 tooth rear), and to go up one on the front or 2 down on the rear makes for having to slip the clutch a little on start off. The best all round change is to go one down to a 33 tooth on the rear.

With the GS650E being a higher revving bike and higher torque band, i would think going down more than 2, (changing the front sprocket by 1 tooth), on the rear would be detrimental to the performance and wouldn't be any benefit.
                  Last edited by 650Skull; 01-06-2021, 10:36 PM.
                  82 GS650E (Canadian), 83 XS650SK (Canadian), Main machines Running
                  Aussie, 74 TX650A, 80 XS650SG, 81XS650SH, 80XS850, in various states of repair/disrepair
                  Introduction and ongoing thread for myGS650Ez
                  Albums

Comment

Working...
                  X