Steering Damper options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Damper options

Been reading on some of the threads bout benefit of dampers, are any of you running stock dampers from other sportbikes with success? if so what dampers. I have seen one with a gsxr600 electronic damper. Just curious what others are running.

Thanks Guys!

I have a 2004 GSXR 1000 steering damper on my bike. With stock steering geometry on the GS1000 I don't really think you need a damper but it can't hurt as insurance against tanks slappers if you set a wheelie down wrong etc. They become more necessary if you revise the steering geometry to more closely resemble the geometry of a sportbike.

You'll need to weld a bracket on the headstock of the frame to attach the steering damper and if using the stock forks figure out a way to attach the damper to the triples.
    Last edited by 80GS1000; 12-05-2019, 11:42 PM.
    Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
    2006 GSXR 750

Comment

As Sandy (sort of) hinted, there might be more of them in use that we realize, but the handling on a stock GS chassis is good enough that they are usually not necessary. Now, if you are bringing your wheelie down at 100 mph, you pretty much deserve what you get, because you should not be doing that sort of stuff on the street.

There are probably quite a few in use on bikes used on the track, but for street use, ... not needed.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Just to expand on this topic:

The steering geometry on the GS1000 is quite slack and stable due its lax rake (28 degrees) and abundant trail (4.4"). This makes the bike stable in a straight line at the expense of some steering responsiveness. The GS1000 doesn't need a damper in stock form at street speeds IMO due to its inherent stability.

Modern sportbikes have quite aggressive steering geometery in the order of 23-24 degree rakes and 3.85-4" of trail. This makes the bike nimble and steer easily, but more prone to high speed instability and head shake if the wheels ever get out of line with each other due to front wheel deflection (hitting a bump when leaned over, putting a wheelie down slightly crooked etc).

A remedy for this possible headshake due to aggressive steering geometry is to add some suspension to your steering (AKA a damper) to slow down the rate at which the forks can turn from side to side. That way the rider gets that quick steering response while reducing the chance of a nasty speed wobble. This is why you see many sportbikes like the GSXR come equipped from the factory with a steering damper as standard equipment.
        Last edited by 80GS1000; 12-06-2019, 01:15 PM.
        Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
        2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post

The steering geometry on the GS1000 is quite slack and stable due its lax rake (28 degrees) and abundant trail (4.4"). This makes the bike stable in a straight line at the expense of some steering responsiveness. The GS1000 doesn't need a damper in stock form at street speeds IMO due to its inherent stability.

Modern sportbikes have quite aggressive steering geometery in the order of 23-24 degree rakes and 3.85-4" of trail. This makes the bike nimble and steer easily, but more prone to high speed instability and head shake if the wheels ever get out of line with each other due to front wheel deflection (hitting a bump when leaned over, putting a wheelie down slightly crooked etc).

A remedy for this possible headshake due to aggressive steering geometry is to add some suspension to your steering (AKA a damper) to slow down the rate at which the forks can turn from side to side. That way the rider gets that quick steering response while reducing the chance of a nasty speed wobble. This is why you see many sportbikes like the GSXR come equipped from the factory with a steering damper as standard equipment.

Nice summary

I put a GSXR damper on my GS1100ED. There is a fairing mount on the 83 that makes attachment to the frame real easy. It was one of those things that was just to have peace of mind. ui wanted to insure that if anything I had done to the suspension were to cause a wobble, the damper stood there in guard. I never noticed any ill effects from the damper (slowing steering) and so if i had to do again would do the same.
          Last edited by posplayr; 12-06-2019, 02:51 PM.

Comment

I have a Honda HESD unit somewhere on a shelf... yours for not a lot if you want it. I can send it over with the brake brackets. I looked at fitting it but life took over & I now don't think I ever will.

On the Honda it adjusts by application of voltage from the ECU. For an aftermarket bolt-on people generally just pick a single voltage and feed it that. I guess you could also manually switch it if you wanted the option to turn it off.

It's a headstock unit not the piston type that Posplayr & co refer to above...

1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Here's a pic of one

1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

He is a picture of mine. You can also get these with an electrically controlled valve.

https://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?249434-81-gs750-1100-forks-steering-Damper-install!&p=2433076#post2433076

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post

And the moral of the story is GS bikes don't need steering dampers unless you are going to track the bike. And if you want a track bike you might want to consider something newer.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    And the moral of the story is GS bikes don't need steering dampers unless you are going to track the bike. And if you want a track bike you might want to consider something newer.
                    Glad I’m not the only one thinking this. I’ve got 2 linear dampers sitting on the self and never really thought about putting it on the GS.

Yes I have one on the the SV for obvious reasons.
                    Last edited by tas850g; 12-07-2019, 08:33 PM.
                    1979 GS850G
                    2004 SV650N track bike
                    2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                    LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      Originally posted by tas850g View Post
                      Glad I’m not the only one thinking this. I’ve got 2 linear dampers sitting on the self and never really thought about putting it on the GS.

Yes I have on the the SV for obvious reasons.
                      Too funny!

I've not been on a track day but wouldn't consider a GS unless it's a Cooley.

You guys know your stuff.

Ed
                      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Working...
                      X