Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Yoshimura survive?

Suzuki has broken their ties with Yoshimura

Team Hammer has been named American Suzuki's official factory-backed team in the MotoAmerica AMA/FIM North American Road Racing series for 2020.

Brea, CA (December 13, 2019) – Suzuki Motor of America, Inc. announces it has reached an agreement with Team Hammer to become its official team for the 2020 MotoAmerica AMA/FIM North American Road Racing Series. In addition to their continued participation in Supersport and Twins Cup, Team Hammer will now field Suzuki’s premier Superbikes and add the Stock 1000 class to its list. The team enters the series as Team Hammer Suzuki. Riders for each class will be announced later.

Don Sakakura, President of Yoshimura R&D commented on the unparalleled relationship between Suzuki and Yoshimura that spanned some four decades: “Yoshimura’s partnership with Suzuki has been instrumental to our core business the past 41 years,” said Sakakura. “As a team, we accomplished tremendous racing milestones, leaving behind many special celebrations, as well as setbacks. Personally, it has been a true privilege to have worked closely with management and staff at Suzuki. The friendships I’ve developed will carry over my lifetime. Notably, the engineering team at Suzuki’s Japan headquarters has been extremely significant in our successes over the years.”

Suzuki echoed Sakakura’s comments and thanked Yoshimura for its contribution to 212 race wins and 14 Championships in the AMA Superbike class, the most of any manufacturer.

Kerry Graeber, Suzuki’s vice president of sales and marketing stated that the Suzuki Yoshimura relationship remains strong. “Though Yoshimura won’t be operating our road racing team moving forward, we look forward to continuing together in many other aspects of our business.” Graeber noted that Yoshimura remains integral with JGR/Suzuki, the company’s supercross/motocross race team, as well as several sales and marketing programs. Graeber sees that not only continuing, but also possibly expanding.

Note: Reports from SX watchers are that Suzuki is not supporting any teams for 2020/ Also, Yoshimura found out about this change from the press release
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Yoshimura will survive. The US affiliation with Suzuki is a large part of their racing - but by no means all of it. Worldwide sales of Yosh parts are still strong.

It'll be interesting to see if Yoshimura diversifies as Mugen have. The Mugen electric racebikes are the current state of the art.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
      ...Yoshimura found out about this change from the press release
      That can't be a good sign.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I don't know a lot about this subject but is Team Hammer run by the Ulrich family?
        So does this mean that there will no more Yosh parts and ONLY be Suzuki race parts in the bikes?
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
          I don't know a lot about this subject but is Team Hammer run by the Ulrich family?
          So does this mean that there will no more Yosh parts and ONLY be Suzuki race parts in the bikes?
          The parts aspect is quite convoluted...Supersport and to a certain extent World Superbike are becoming more stock parts oriented. Suzuki did a kit for World superbike entrants - which is not generally available to the public. I've seen parts of it in a couple of engines built by Suzuki NZ's engine man. With the more stock focus in the last couple of years, I think this kit is discontinued.
          On the other hand, National level series which are still in some cases more open than the World regs are the market for the Yosh parts - as is sidecar racing.
          The sidecars use the GSXR1000's for F1 and the GSXR600 for the TT and new World series. Yosh sells a lot of parts for both, from cams and valvetrain parts to ECU's and looms. Suzuki themselves don't offer this stuff to my knowledge.
          There's still a wide market out there for the Yosh product.

Comment

Very dignified response by Sakakura
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

The REAL question is, will SUZUKI survive?
              '83 GS 1100T
              The Jet

sigpic
              '95 GSXR 750w
              The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Working...
              X