Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 puzzling bolts

Hey guys.

It as been about a million years since I posted last.

My GK died on me at the end of the summer on my last attempted trip of the season and I dithered a long time about what I should do about it.

Currently it looks like this:

Because it is getting this:

The GK as a bit over 140,000km and the "New" engine only 60,000km.
    It as been lying in waiting in the garage for a few years now.

I have started cleaning the years of love it never got from the previous owners.

It turns out it isn't black after all.

I found-saw this on the left rear underside:

To my untrained eyes it looks like a huge grease fitting. Though I am sure it is only a "Nut"...Is it?
    As I type and review my text it occurs to me that it is close to the gear selector....Something to do with the neutral switch?

The other bother is this:

I couldn't even see the oil drain plug until I started cleaning. That is NOT found on my GK.

So have some GS ever had a drain plug that looks like that?

I have not dared touch it. I down tooled and went to eat. Enough trouble for one day.

There is stuff around it. I think Teflon. Please it not some Imperial bolt jammed in the hole.
    I do not want to do a pan swap. Though I can do one. And I will. If I have to. I guess.

That bolt-thing explains why the engine was (Still is) so cruddy. Maybe the gaskets are in reasonable shape after all.
    I hope.....I will find out in the spring. After the engine has ran and got new oils.
    Last edited by Highway_Glider; 12-19-2019, 08:25 PM.
    Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
    1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

That's some kind of plug within a plug oil pan repair is my guess... You may be able to take it out and use something better. When you get in there you may find swapping the pan is the best bet though. I wouldn't be running it like that.

The other one... I'm not sure, did you check out a parts fiche?
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I believe your first bolt is the bolt that tensions the spring for the neutral detent.

If you loosen the locknut, the bolt can be removed, but there will be a spring and a ball behind, so BE CAREFUL.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
        That's some kind of plug within a plug oil pan repair is my guess... You may be able to take it out and use something better. When you get in there you may find swapping the pan is the best bet though. I wouldn't be running it like that.

The other one... I'm not sure, did you check out a parts fiche?
        Thanks for the reply salty_monk.

I didn't want to drain the old oil yet as I don't have the new filter and gasket as of yet.
        But....It is kinda like a bottle of wine. When you have opened it, you must finish it.

Or maybe one of those genies....Or Pandora's box. Something like that.

So I will drain the oil, see what must be done and do it.

As for part fiche, no, end of the day, tired, left it at that.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        I believe your first bolt is the bolt that tensions the spring for the neutral detent.

If you loosen the locknut, the bolt can be removed, but there will be a spring and a ball behind, so BE CAREFUL.

Thanks for the reply Steve.

I will not mess with it.

Thank you for the identification. In my minds eye that was on top....I am weird like that.

As long as it it not some weird repair or must-play-with-do-hickey I am happy.

So I guess for today it's more degreasing, drain the crude (If it leaked as much and as long as the crud indicates then it probably got more oil refills than oil changes) out of there, check the stator, open the valve cover and order some parts.

Thanks all, merry Christmas, holidays and all that.
        Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
        1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

Someone bodged with drain plug which must be fixed so you may as well get on with life.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Someone bodged with drain plug which must be fixed so you may as well get on with life.
            Hello Nessism.

I will swap the pan from my current engine to this one.

I tried today to remove the bolt and no-go.

The bolt at first glance looks square but it has rounded faces. It was also tightened by someone that had a deep hatred for it.
            I couldn't make it move. So the pan will come off.

Maybe heat would work since there is Teflon there. But I fear for those treads.....if any. And I still don't know what that thing is.....exactly.

I think it might be something like this:

Those are: 3/8" NPT Magnetic Drain Plug for Oil and Transmission Pans

Pretty scary to think what the oil will look like if oil changes were not possible for the last owner.
            Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
            1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

If you use that type of drain plug, they are a taper tread and could crack the sump pan. The more you tighten it the more it will try and stretch the drain hole. Just change the pans over and be done with it. Good practice to clean the oil pickup screen when your in there also.
              My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Originally posted by uk gs nut View Post
                If you use that type of drain plug, they are a taper tread and could crack the sump pan. The more you tighten it the more it will try and stretch the drain hole. Just change the pans over and be done with it. Good practice to clean the oil pickup screen when your in there also.
                Hello uk gs nut.

As said earlier I will replace the oil pan. I have one extra.

It is a bit of a pain as I will have two engines over pans at the same time. But I will live.

The thing with a NPT bolt it is slightly conical.
                A good thing if you are doing plumbing. The treads draw the parts together.

But I suspect the last owner of that engine probably used a regular tap which is cylindrical.
                NPT will screw in other tread holes but can't make a good seal. The contact is in one place only.

So Bozo torqued the S*** out of it.

The damaged pan will cover the butt of the other engine until I decide what to do with it. The engine that is.
                Last edited by Highway_Glider; 12-21-2019, 12:54 PM.
                Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
                1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

Hi Daniel,
                  Your PM box is full.
                  I have a GK bottom end in my scrap pile in the snow, I can post you the pan.
                  Marc
                  AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
                  1978 GS1000C X2
                  1978 GS1000E X2
                  1979 GS1000S
                  1979 gs1000
                  1983 gs400e

Comment

Originally posted by kochic View Post
                    Hi Daniel,
                    Your PM box is full.
                    I have a GK bottom end in my scrap pile in the snow, I can post you the pan.
                    Marc
                    Hello Jean Marc.

I thought you got rid of all your motorcycle parts last year.

I will go and make some room in my PM box.
                    Don't post it. I will come and get it early in the new year.

Christmas is practically here and will interfere with my wrenching so I will not get to the oil pan until some time mid January.

I will not take all your stuff. I still have a whole (80%) GK in a cabinet and half a random GS on shelves.
                    Just want to get the GK running decently again (For bragging rights) and for one or two last trips.
                    Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
                    1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

Almost all the G stuff is gone, like always I sold parts that I need to buy now...
                      Marc
                      AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
                      1978 GS1000C X2
                      1978 GS1000E X2
                      1979 GS1000S
                      1979 gs1000
                      1983 gs400e

Comment

Looks like the drain plug repair was something like one of these horrible things, I recall buying a bike from Quebec with one like this installed.

I removed it and used a Time-Sert to redo the threads, been good since.

2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                        2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                        1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                        2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                        1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                        1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                        1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                        Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Originally posted by kochic View Post
                          Almost all the G stuff is gone, like always I sold parts that I need to buy now...
                          Marc
                          Good and bad.

You have helped me before maybe I have a part for you.
                          When I am ready to drive to your place I will get a definitive list from you.

Originally posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
                          Looks like the drain plug repair was something like one of these horrible things, I recall buying a bike from Quebec with one like this installed.

I removed it and used a Time-Sert to redo the threads, been good since.

Yes, something like that. Except the tapping-bolt if there as a really low profile and the centre part has a square head that won't unscrew no matter what.
                          i will know for sure when I remove the bottom.

I haven't turned the engine upside down on the stand yet as it is full of oil still.
                          I have tilted it about 60 deg. either side.

Doesn't matter so much anymore as the decision to replace as been taken.

Now to order gaskets before the Holidays and get the Holidays out of the way.
                          Bah humbug. For 52 years I put up with it now....

I probably won't wrench before next year.
                          Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
                          1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

Working...
                          X