When is a gs a gsx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When is a gs a gsx

Hi all i am new to the group and wanted to pick the brains of the resident sages I have purchased a gs1100e but was wondering what the difference was between the gsx1100e and the gs1100e was they both look identical

Originally posted by Fazerace View Post
    Hi all i am new to the group and wanted to pick the brains of the resident sages I have purchased a gs1100e but was wondering what the difference was between the gsx1100e and the gs1100e was they both look identical
    idk prob hp
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by Fazerace View Post
      ...what the difference was between the gsx1100e and the gs1100e was they both look identical
      As far as I know, they're the same bike; it was called a GS only in the U.S.A. Everywhere else in the world, it was a GSX. There may be some year qualifications.

Ever since it first came out, I've wanted a GSXR-1100. So I enjoy thinking, "if I just go upstate and cross into Canada, I'm only one letter away."

What year is your 11E? Any pics?
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
        As far as I know, they're the same bike; it was called a GS only in the U.S.A. Everywhere else in the world, it was a GSX. There may be some year qualifications.

Ever since it first came out, I've wanted a GSXR-1100. So I enjoy thinking, "if I just go upstate and cross into Canada, I'm only one letter away."

What year is your 11E? Any pics?
        They are called a GS here too Rob
        No signature

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
          idk prob hp
          Would you mind translating that into English?

Not a single one of those letter groupings is a recognizable word.
          If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Originally posted by Who Dat? View Post
            Would you mind translating that into English?

Not a single one of those letter groupings is a recognizable word.
            I don't know, probably horsepower?

Originally posted by trevor View Post
            They are called a GS here too Rob
            Oh, nuts. You mean I've got to get on a boat?
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

It's the engine. 4 valves per cylinder. These all have square cam-end covers so they're easy to spot...the engine likely has "gsx -(ccs ) "stamped on it at least my gsx 400 does as in "GSX-40" missing a zero.
              All are screw-adjust tappets, I think.

If you goto cmnsl,(a parts catalogue) whatever it says on the plastic sidecover badge, or the brochure, it's best to look up your bike as a Gsx if you have one so you get the model with the right engine and carbs...

look here
              parts suzuki motorcycle accessories spares replacement aftermarket

Comment

E9C50685-31DA-4BCB-800D-A3068EBDED4B.jpg This is the said beast
                Last edited by Guest; 12-23-2019, 11:11 AM.

Comment

This is the said beastE 50821482-6745-4A4B-8604-04F2D7172E78.jpg

Comment

On the main page, under GS info/ history there is a great write up on the history of the GS bikes.

Roger

Current rides
                    1983 GS 850G
                    2003 FJR 1300A
                    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                      It's the engine. 4 valves per cylinder. These all have square cam-end covers so they're easy to spot...the engine likely has "gsx -(ccs ) "stamped on it at least my gsx 400 does as in "GSX-40" missing a zero.
                      All are screw-adjust tappets, I think.

If you goto cmnsl,(a parts catalogue) whatever it says on the plastic sidecover badge, or the brochure, it's best to look up your bike as a Gsx if you have one so you get the model with the right engine and carbs...

look here
                      parts suzuki motorcycle accessories spares replacement aftermarket
                      Correct. North America is the only place where both 2 valve and 4 valve versions are all called GS. Absurd - but presumably Suzuki thought they had too much product recognition tied up in the name.
                      Elsewhere the progression is logical - GS begat GSX begat GSXR......

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                        On the main page, under GS info/ history there is a great write up on the history of the GS bikes.

https://www.thegsresources.com/gshistory.php
                        Nice one 👍 interesting read I also have 2 of the bikes mentioned Gs650gt and Gsx400f in my stable

Comment

gS here in the states GSX else where hit also GS =8 valve. GSX =16 valve
                          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Working...
                          X