Pingel fuel valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pingel fuel valve

Anyone using a pingel fuel valve on their GS's ? Tired of rebuilding the OEM yearly . Thinking of a manual petcock I can trust with enough flow for my GS1150 .
    1980 Suzuki GS550E, 1981 Suzuki GS 1100EX all stock, 1983 Suzuki GS 1100EX modified, 1985 GS1150E, 1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1971 Kawasaki Mach lll 500 H1, 1973 Kawasaki Mach lV 750 H2.

Originally posted by headsbikesmopars View Post
    Anyone using a pingel fuel valve on their GS's ? Tired of rebuilding the OEM yearly . Thinking of a manual petcock I can trust with enough flow for my GS1150 .
    A. You shouldn't be rebuilding your petcock every year. A new stock OEM petcock will last 20 years.
    B. There are no petcock rebuild kits that work.
    C. A Pingel costs about the same as stock, (pretty sure on that), looks cool, but will probably start leaking in 5-8 years.

Just to be clear, I've had pingels, I have my second pingel on my 1100E right now.
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

My bike came with a broken vacuum petcock which was left on prime and an online manual valve. This worked good enough until one morning when I woke up to find I left the valve open. Had a puddle of gas under the bike and my crankcase full of gas, not something you want to see when you live on the road and repairs happen where you're at instead of a garage.

By he time you make or buy an adapter and the pingle you're better off and ahead money wise to get a quality vaccum petcock. Mine came from Z1 Enterprises which is a lower priced alternative to stock.
      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

There must be a flaw in your orig. if it's giving problems yearly. My vote goes to another OEM, shoot the days of the old CB750's & KZ900's have been gone longer than the old phone booths. Over the yrs, I've had a couple of OEM's. go bad, but I must have been lucky, a rebuild fixed both with no further problems. Just another opinion.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Terry, outwest I rang into starvation problems with my 1166 despite the lower jetting requirements on sustained ride over the ton (on sanctioned tracks of course).

The pingle eliminated that fuel starvation and over 5 or so years I never saw any leakage on a single port pingle.

Comment

Type of info I was looking for , Thanks Jim.
            1980 Suzuki GS550E, 1981 Suzuki GS 1100EX all stock, 1983 Suzuki GS 1100EX modified, 1985 GS1150E, 1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1971 Kawasaki Mach lll 500 H1, 1973 Kawasaki Mach lV 750 H2.

Comment

Type of info I was looking for , Thanks Jim.
              Interesting....
              Looks like you found the answer you wanted....

Three good folks said get the OEM. It works, last for 20 years, and cost no more than a Pingal.
              One person said the Pingal solved a problem for them, and that's the answer your "looking for"

Well they do look cool.... Good luck....

Comment

I can see the advantage of a manual valve if you are racing, where you will likely have very low manifold vacuum level to keep a vacuum-operated petcock open, but for general street use, I prefer OEM.

You need enough flow to feed your 1150? Is it stock or built-up? If you were to run flat out (at a proper location, of course), how long would your tank last? It takes less than 10 minutes for my 850 tank (5.8 gallons) to drain with the OEM petcock. If you can run your 1150 longer than that at top speed, an OEM petcock has "enough flow".

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  It takes less than 10 minutes for my 850 tank (5.8 gallons) to drain with the OEM petcock.
                  You've run through a whole tank of gas nonstop at full throttle?!?

Another reason to like you.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    I can see the advantage of a manual valve if you are racing, where you will likely have very low manifold vacuum level to keep a vacuum-operated petcock open, but for general street use, I prefer OEM.

You need enough flow to feed your 1150? Is it stock or built-up? If you were to run flat out (at a proper location, of course), how long would your tank last? It takes less than 10 minutes for my 850 tank (5.8 gallons) to drain with the OEM petcock. If you can run your 1150 longer than that at top speed, an OEM petcock has "enough flow".

WOT with Stock 1100, 4:1 , pods, 0.340 webcams could not get above about 120 mph before started to miss. No hint of redline issues in lower gears. Similarly with 1166 holding partial throttle at about 110 mph, got similar missing with a fat 140 main.
                    going to Pringle eliminated the problem.
                    missing was like a small surge that would come and go at like a 2 sec interval. The first time it happened I accelerated to redline in 2.3.4 but in 5 could only hit 120 before the missing
                    Last edited by posplayr; 12-30-2019, 11:01 AM.

Comment

I run flatslides on mine so I needed the dual outlet Pingel. When I looked into replacing it I found Pingel will rebuild the old one for $20.00.
                      Works a treat now.
                      80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                        You've run through a whole tank of gas nonstop at full throttle?!?

Another reason to like you.
                        I guess a few more details are necessary (for YOU).

This was done in the shop, draining the tank so I could work on the fuel level sending unit.

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        WOT with Stock 1100, 4:1 , pods, 0.340 webcams could not get above about 120 mph before started to miss. No hint of redline issues in lower gears. Similarly with 1166 holding partial throttle at about 110 mph, got similar missing with a fat 140 main.
                        going to Pringle eliminated the problem.
                        missing was like a small surge that would come and go at like a 2 sec interval. The first time it happened I accelerated to redline in 2.3.4 but in 5 could only hit 120 before the missing
                        I think the issue there is not so much "overall fuel flow" as it is "overall fuel flow AT WOT".

With the throttle wide open, there is simply not enough vacuum to hold the petcock open. That was mentioned in post #8 under the pretense of "racing situations". If you regularly ride a WOT for minutes at a time (or more), a vacuum-operated petcock might not work. For those of us that don't live on a race track, it works quite well.

And, ... I would be willing to place a wager that if you put your OEM petcock in the PRIme position (so it would not have to rely on vacuum), it would not cause the starvation problems at WOT.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve, I mentioned two cases where I saw what I assumed was fuel starvation. Only the first was WOT. The second was less that 1/2 WOT.

The 1/2 WOT incident was after going to 1166cc for 1075cc (stock)
                          Last edited by posplayr; 12-31-2019, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                            Interesting....
                            Looks like you found the answer you wanted....

Three good folks said get the OEM. It works, last for 20 years, and cost no more than a Pingal.
                            One person said the Pingal solved a problem for them, and that's the answer your "looking for"

Well they do look cool.... Good luck....
                            My question was "Anyone using a Pingel on their GS's" ? Instead I received 'reasons' why I didn't need a Pingel . Not really what I was asking was it, so yes " the type of info I was looking for" , someone with experience with Pingel fuel valves on their GS's .

Comment

My question was "Anyone using a Pingel on their GS's" ? Instead I received 'reasons' why I didn't need a Pingel . Not really what I was asking was it, so yes " the type of info I was looking for" , someone with experience with Pingel fuel valves on their GS's .
                              Sorry if I sounded snarky...it wasn't the best day...So you have my apology...

However, I am someone "using a Pingel on their GS" as you requested.
                              My '83 GS1100E, is on its second Pingel in 10 years...
                              I just don't think it has any advantage over stock, only disadvantages...
                              Next time it fails, I am going back to stock...

Had one a low 9 sec, GS drag bike too, and it also needed to be replaced once...

But hey...It's your money...

Regards

Comment

Working...
                              X