Are OEM brake lines really that bad??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are OEM brake lines really that bad??

As the title asks-How bad can fresh OEM brake lines really be as opposed to aftermarket stainless steel/DIY? I understand the benefits of higher brake pressures and such, but in stock configurations is it beneficial? Also, are OEM part houses required to turn in expired shelf products like brake lines by law or can they sell the goods without safety or lifetime obligations to the consumer?
    Last edited by 748cc; 12-29-2019, 12:50 PM.
    '78 GS750E (currently undergoing TLC).

The basic problem is that the technology is maybe 50 years old. Brand new OEM lines are similar in performance to stainless lines - maybe slightly inferior, but not necessarily noticeable to the average rider. However OEM lines degrade much more rapidly than stainless lines. If you read a workshop manual, you'll see that Suzuki recommend replacing lines at very short intervals - every 2 years if i recall correctly.

So, if you find OEM lines on sale, and fit them, they'll be fine for a while, but will then start to deform, with the ensuing lack in braking performance. This doesn't happen with stainless lines - they handle much higher internal pressure without deforming.

Unless you're a purist, and you want your bike to look like it just left the showroom, there is only really one choice, both from the financial viewpoint, and that of safety - go stainless. Most of the manufacturers offer external coatings in a variety of colours. Personally I just go with the black, and follow the original routing. That's near enough stock for me.
    1980 GS550ET

Comment

I wouldn't hesitate to use new OEM lines...if you could find them. Old lines, regardless of construction, collect grunge on the inside which to me is the biggest drawback.

BTW, check the Earl's brake line thread if you want to learn how to build your own lines for cheap. Quality can't be beat and you can configure them just as you like too.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Good info here. A wee bit off topic, I have a fit question regarding stainless lines.

I have gone with stainless lines on my GS650G rebuild and will eventually put them on my other old GS bikes. One obvious difference between the OEM and stainless is the diameter of the line. When I fit the stainless lines in place of the old OEM into the bike frame brackets/clips routing, they are loose. To solve this I have improvised by slicing up some old OEM lines to wrap around the stainless lines to fill the space and then wrap them with shrink wrap. It works but looks odd.

Are there grommets or sleeves etc available to make stainless lines fit better?
        GS550T 1981
        GS850G 1983
        GS650G 1982
        GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Comment

My 82 GS1100G has the hardest brake grip of my 3 bikes. After I installed new OEM brake lines.
          Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 12-29-2019, 04:41 PM.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by 748cc View Post
            As the title asks-How bad can fresh OEM brake lines really be as opposed to aftermarket stainless steel/DIY? I understand the benefits of higher brake pressures and such, but in stock configurations is it beneficial? Also, are OEM part houses required to turn in expired shelf products like brake lines by law or can they sell the goods without safety or lifetime obligations to the consumer?
            I asked my mechanic (who is a suspension expert/consultant on the WorldSBK circuit) where I should start improving my 84 GS1150, the first thing he said was "Braking, change to stainless steel lines, safety first"! Any incremental improvement to oem brakes is desirable.
            1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Thanks, guys! I scoped out two parts houses & they typically have the front lines in 2-3 day delivery status, as well as most of the mounting hardware. I just have concerns as to how old their stocks are. And I've studied the Earl's brake line thread a few times as well, but I'm lacking confidence in the clocking of the ends, and having second thoughts about the exposed braid at each end & using split hose sleeving to take up outer diameter space (heat shrink and split hose sheathing seem 'hokie' and 'homemade' to me). I can get all the hardware complete with new banjos at just slightly above the cost of raw stainless line & fittings without the labor of fabricating lines from scratch. I'd like to build a complete kit set of lines that I can swap out & in with minimal fuss. Less downtime is always a plus, right??

Perhaps I'm weighing convienence over performance here. I'd really hate wasting raw stainless line due to my 'mussing it up'. That cost would be tuff to recoup. So, how wrong is my train of thought, folks?

Comment

I didn’t feel confident making my own lines either. I got my SS line from Venhill, USA. Lots of colors available in lots of lengths, swivel fittings(no clocking to worry about). Choices of colors in fittings too. If you’re getting new banjo bolts, know what pitch, probably 10 x 1.00. Great personalized service, and fast delivery. I will definitely buy from them again if I ever need another brake line.
                Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 12-29-2019, 08:47 PM.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I didn't have confidence to make my own lines either. I bought my lines from Core Moto, excellent selection and service. https://www.coremoto.com/Default.asp
                  1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Building and clocking the lines with Earl's parts is dead easy. They even make adjustable hose ends for a few bucks extra but frankly they are unnecessary.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

HEL offers pre-made brake lines for your GS750 and many other GS models.

Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
                      2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Well now those HEL lines are just too easy!! That's really hard to resist. Think these may be just what I'm looking for, and they've taken all the guesswork out of the equasion. Thanks a bunch 80GS1000!! Have you tried these yourself and if so how was the fit & finish? They appear to be A1!

Comment

Poked around the web some more for HEL products and it's all very positive, so I'm sold! Will place order shortly & post back on how it all goes down. Even learned how to reverse bleed the system

Thanks again everyone- you guys are the best!!

Comment

- you guys are the best!!
                            Why, yes. Yes we are. Good luck. Welcome to the forum.
                            Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Well now those HEL lines are just too easy!! That's really hard to resist. Think these may be just what I'm looking for, and they've taken all the guesswork out of the equasion. Thanks a bunch 80GS1000!! Have you tried these yourself and if so how was the fit & finish? They appear to be A1!
                              I have no personal experience with HEL, although they have an excellent reputation in the sportbike community.

IMHO you can't go wrong with any of the major brake line manufacturers like Goodridge, Galfer, HEL, Spiegler etc.

Hope you enjoy the improved, firmer lever feel and increased longevity with the stainless lines.
                              Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
                              2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Working...
                              X