No announcement yet.

Help me fix my problem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best "restoration" for the rubber bits is "replacement". Some have reported modest levels of success by soaking in Wintergreen oil, but I have not heard if it lasts or not. New items will last another 20 years or so.

It might seem to make sense to use gasoline as a solvent to remove all the crud that was placed there by gasoline, but I don't think it would be a wise move. Your state leaders might have legislated the preferred chemicals off the shelf, but see if you have Berryman's Carb Cleaner Dip or Gunk Carb Cleaner Dip. Both come in a one-gallon can, both have about 3 quarts of liquid inside. Don't follow the directions. They likely say to immerse the parts for 15-30 minutes. Most of us feel that those directions were probably written MANY years ago, when the chemicals in the can could actually do the job in that amountn ot time. We now recommend immersing the parts for 15-30 HOURS. Yep, basically a whole day.

There is a basket in the can to hold the parts and makes it easier to lift them out. If you ignore the basket, you can stack two carb bodies on their sides. Two bodies on the first day, the other two bodies the second day, then all the jets and float bowls on the third day. Float bowls??? Yes. They have the passages that feed the "choke" system and might be clogged.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Do you guys have any advice for how to restore this rubber so I can have an easier time putting the carbs on?
      Warm them. "heat guns" are invaluable for this. Hair dryers are generally pretty weak ... wrap them in a hot rag can do if you have no heat gun.

Naturally, you don't want to get them so hot as to melt them! so be judicious...

The wintergreen soak is sort of experimental...I'd just warm them
      Also, can I soak the carbs in gasoline?
      sure but it won't of itself do much for tiny passages and teeny holes in the jets. and as mentioned, the other stuff-filters, diaphragms, orings, float needle and seat... Disassembly is required.

Once the bike is running properly, good fresh gasoline running through will keep them clean.
      Last edited by Gorminrider; 01-05-2020, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
        I believe X means 1981. 1982 is Z.
        Yes. My brain thought Z but finger typed X.
        You may notice that people that call it it "typing" have that difficulty from time to time.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by johndias831 View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]59909[/ATTACH]
          Thanks guys for all the info. I have an order in for a new O ring kit and I will do a thorough job cleaning the carbs. I have removed the air intake boots and purchased new hardware for them. Do you guys have any advice for how to restore this rubber so I can have an easier time putting the carbs on? Also, can I soak the carbs in gasoline? Thank you I will let you all know how the bike is running next week.
          HI, I agree with Steve about replacing rubber parts but I have had success soaking them in armour all. This will make them less stiff. I never use gasoline to clean carbs, just carb cleaner. i hope this helps
          1983 gs1100ed restro-mod. 1998 gsxr 1100 almost mint, 2019 kawasaki klx250, 2011 Beta 250 evo trials bike, 2017 Montesa 300rr trials bike, 2021 honda crf250rx woods weapon

Comment

Working...
          X