Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: 2020 Brown County Indiana GSR Hooraw - June 11-14 - SAVE THE DATE!

bwringer is offline Forum LongTimer Bard Award Winner
    GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter

At this point, given my assorted personal plans, boring life and work commitments, and "all that stuff" going on out there in the world, I am not planning any sort of "official" Brown County Part Deux. So sorry, so sad.

Not that anything ever rises to the level of "planning" or "official" around here, but you know what I mean.

HOWEVER: as you can see in the chatter and chitchat above, we're all out riding as much as we can, stuff is happening, and I bet plans this fall for various folks could align in various smaller ways.

Toward that end, I'll make a mention of what I and a few others are up to. It's late notice, but perhaps we could "just happen" to run into a few of y'all's next week.

From Thursday, September 10 through Sunday September 13, 2020, me, Tim, and Wazz are planning to stay at the Rosemount and do some dual-sport riding on our KLRs. I've got lots of deliciously dirty GPX tracks loaded up and ready to explore, and Bedford makes a great base. There are lots of fun gravel and dirt roads hidden in them thar hills.

Of course, that's the same weekend as the Dave Davis rally in Missouri; for assorted reasons we can't go that far from home this year, but we are able to do some in-state riding.

Now, if some of y'alls who also can't make it to Missouri were to just happen to call Jay or Pam at the Rosemount Motel in Bedford at 812-275-5953 and just happen to book a room for dates that just happen to overlap somewhat with the dates we'll be there, well, that would just happen to be pretty cool.

Further, if you just happen to have some sort of two-wheeled conveyance appropriate for dirt and gravel roads (there aren't really any trails hereabouts; dual-sport riding in Indiana means seeking out the most primitive public roads, not roosting single-track.) you're welcome to tag along.

And of course, if it just happens that your tires aren't knobby, then roll your own paved adventure and we'll see you in the evenings. The BC rallies are always "roll your own adventure" anyway, so that would not be all that different from our usual custom.

As far as virus stuff... the Rosemount is taking this very seriously and is following the proper cleaning processes. I will probably bring my own pillow and blanket, and I'd encourage folks to consider rooming by themselves unless it's someone already inside your normal "germ circle" or "bubble".

Indiana does have a mask mandate, but from my recent travels, very few people or businesses in rural areas are paying the slightest attention, kids are back in school in many places, etc. So that's not good, and things in some counties are getting a bit worrisome.

For my part, I will be doing my part to manage our civilization's shared risk, and I hope and expect you will as well: I will wearing a mask indoors or when near the aerosol clouds emitted by bipedal mammals, staying clean, and not picking my nose. So don't expect any warm hugs or tongue action.

I also stay out of restaurants, bodegas and other indoor spaces as much as possible; I've become a fan of parking lot carryout/picnics, and I've taken to toting a spork along with a small cooler with soda, water, and snacks so as to avoid The Unclean. And I'll whisper that one attraction of dual-sport riding is that it makes a "whiz in the woods" policy much easier to carry out.

Here's the Indiana COVID-19 dashboard. Our stats are worse than some states, better than others. As always, your decisions and actions are your own. Ride your own ride.
    https://www.coronavirus.in.gov/2393.htm
    Last edited by bwringer; 09-03-2020 at 10:42 AM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter

Just thought I'd report that we had an epic few days of dual-sporting in southern Indiana.

There's some truly tasty dirt and gravel out there, but it was rather dry and dusty this week. There was only one water crossing that involved actual water. Most of the small creeks are dry right now.

Jay and his family are doing well, and looking forward to a more normal 2021, as all of us are.

I'm really awful at taking pictures and at remembering to take pictures, but...

A dirt road, somewhere in Jackson or DuBois county, I think. This is the kind of thing us KLR-istas live for:

Hindostan Falls southwest of Shoals. The falls in the background (basically, the river drops off a three foot shelf; not exactly Niagara) are only really visible when the river is very low. This mostly flat shelf of rock accessible from the shore is also revealed. It was a cool-ish and cloudy Thursday, so we had the place to ourselves.

Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Is it to early to start thinking about the 2021 Brown County rally? I know the rally pretty much runs on autopilot thanks to Brian, Steve and others. I think the weekend before Father's day usually works pretty well for most (June 10th-13). However I'm open for anytime. I'm just starting to think about next summers riding season and summer vacation. Maybe we can nail down a date. Hopefully we can get back to a normal rally. 👍
    My Motorcycles:
    21 Triumph Tiger 900 GT (coming to a town near you)
    16 Yamaha FJR1300 (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    82 750e (parts Bike)
    80 KZ650f (needs restored)

Quote Originally Posted by storm 64 View Post
    I'm just starting to think about next summers riding season and summer vacation. Maybe we can nail down a date.
    Being winter, you can bet it's been on everyone's mind. I've missed the past two years and made a promise to make as many as my schedule allows.

My own rock vs. wall: I'll be leading Can-Am demo rides every weekend from March 4 ~ July 17.

That only leaves Easter and Independence day, so my guess is BC won't be an option for me.

On the UP side, I'm pretty dang sure I'll be at both the Ozarks AND the KY Krawl.

(Larry, I hope you'll make a note and be at those!)
    Present: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2016 Triumph Street Triple R, 2008 Genuine Buddy 125
    Past: 2003 Suzuki GSF1200S Bandit, 1988 Honda NT650 Hawk GT, 1997 Honda CB250 Nighthawk, 1982 Yamaha XS400RJ Seca, 1967 Honda C100 Super Cub, 1976 Honda CB500T
    Other: Robin's Road Ruckus (Music) | The Riding Obsession (Website)

gbw is offline Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by storm 64 View Post
    Is it to early to start thinking about the 2021 Brown County rally? I know the rally pretty much runs on autopilot thanks to Brian, Steve and others. I think the weekend before Father's day usually works pretty well for most (June 10th-13). However I'm open for anytime. I'm just starting to think about next summers riding season and summer vacation. Maybe we can nail down a date. Hopefully we can get back to a normal rally. 
    It's certainly not too early! I've been thinking about it since I rode away from the rally last year. My calendar is blocked for June 10 - 13, assuming it will be those dates. Sure am looking forward to it!
    Current: 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
    Previous: 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Quote Originally Posted by gbw View Post
    It's certainly not too early! I've been thinking about it since I rode away from the rally last year. My calendar is blocked for June 10 - 13, assuming it will be those dates. Sure am looking forward to it!
    Even though I didn't make the BCR last year, I have been thinking of since you all rode away from it.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Groove_Daddy View Post

On the UP side, I'm pretty dang sure I'll be at both the Ozarks AND the KY Krawl.

(Larry, I hope you'll make a note and be at those
    !)
    Just meet me at Hercules' BBQ joint or else the Sugar Fire BBQ.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.

GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter

New thread started and dates posted:
    https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-SAVE-THE-DATE!
    Eat more venison.