X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New owner of a BIG project!

Hi all,

I seem to have stumbled upon a old GS1100G. The story is as follows:

I have a friend who is notorious for buying motorcycles with the intention of fixing them or turning them into custom bikes. The problem is; he has no mechanical talent thus, he has a collection of broken, half finished motorcycles. Here’s where things get slightly complicated.

My friend purchased a half finished bobber/cafe about 5 years ago. Allegedly, about 5 years before that, the bike was running but when my friend bought it, it was torn apart with half the bike in boxes.

To make a long story short, I’m now to proud owner of a half finished GS1100G missing half its parts with unknown miles and leaking every possible fluid a motorcycle can leak.

I managed to get the bike running but it’s clearly in need of a lot of TLC. As you can see by the pictures it still needs A LOT of parts. My plan is it finish it and turn it into a brat style bike, something I can use as a daily driver.

1D2DB5E2-D966-4965-8489-04CE0DD9F4B5.jpg

9AA90FE2-1EB5-4523-B781-94EB7EE5CA18.jpgAnother picture of my new pride and joy.

Comment

Hey, where's the rest of it?
      BIG project is right. You are likely to hear it from a number of people but get the mechanical stuff, carbs, brakes, electrics, engine before tackling the cosmetics.

Welcome to the site.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

And there it is......................Probably gonna need some better/bigger photos...
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

what year gs is it, u should put ur year/make/model in ur signature

if u need a fuel tank buy one off of ebay with not critical rust and buy the tank cleaner and sealer kit off of kbs coatings. id go for the large kit but dont use all the sealant just enough to seal properly use evrything sparingly to do multiple cleanings at a time.

what do you know how to do? these bikes need valve adjustments, but if ur leaking oil depending on where u might wanna also get to the headgasket. find where ur leaking oil.

how good does the bike run? what does the exhaust tone sound like is it evened out or does it change, if u want to do a full carb clean and are willing to im sure somebody will give you thhe link unfortunately i dont have it

for good measure u could replace ur exhaust and intake gaskets/o-rings and clean/replace ur air filter depending on its condition

is it airpods or an airbox, and is it a stock exhaust/ aftermarket. if you're saying you want a daily driver then u should use a airbox for it but u can add an exhaust, you just have to find what size jetting youll need. do u still have your baffles lol

Shop our large selection of 1982 Suzuki GS1100G OEM Parts, original equipment manufacturer parts and more online or call at 386-740-2452

valve adjust

Last edited by timebombprod; 01-05-2020, 03:24 AM.
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

There's got to be a bigger, better, word for this project than just "BIG" project. It looks way bigger than "BIG" maybe "ASTRONOMICAL PROJECT", Doable but gheeees. Possibly more there than shown in pictures.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
              what year gs is it, u should put ur year/make/doel in ur signature
              I'm still looking, but SOMEWHERE there has to be a translator from "whatever that was" to English.

Comment

Might be a trick of the light, but those look fatter than normal forks, so might be GK. That's a good starting point.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post

And there it is......................Probably gonna need some better/bigger photos...

Yup! My mistake for trying to use my phone.

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
                    what year gs is it, u should put ur year/make/doel in ur signature

if u need a fuel tank buy one off of ebay with not critical rust and buy the tank cleaner and sealer kit off of kbs coatings. id go for the large kit but dont use all the sealant just enough to seal properly use evrything sparingly to do multiple cleanings at a time.

what do you know how to do? these bikes need valve adjustments, but if ur leaking oil depending on where u might wanna also get to the headgasket. find where ur leaking oil.

how good does the bike run? what does the exhaust tone sound like is it evened out or does it change, if u want to do a full carb clean and are willing to im sure somebody will give you thhe link unfortunately i dont have it

for good measure u could replace ur exhaust and intake gaskets/o-rings and clean/replace ur air filter depending on its condition

is it airpods or an airbox, and is it a stock exhaust/ aftermarket. if you're saying you want a daily driver then u should use a airbox for it but u can add an exhaust, you just have to find what size jetting youll need. do u still have your baffles lol

Shop our large selection of 1982 Suzuki GS1100G OEM Parts, original equipment manufacturer parts and more online or call at 386-740-2452

valve adjust

http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tunin...m_engines.html
                    Looking at the head stock. It says its a 82 GS1100GK.

My friend has a 1992 Zephyr 550 tank in his garage that he's willing to give me. I'm going to see if I can make it fit. Seeing as how someone has already started hacking up the frame, I don't feel too bad turning this bike into a bit of a Frankenstein bike. Seems a bit fitting to keep the "free" theme of this bike going.

I can build a motorcycle from the frame up. I've built a few race bikes (SV650, supermotos, etc) so this isn't a huge problem. The oil leak was coming from the oil filter gasket. Easy fix so that's a win. The carbs were leaking through the passage ways between carbs 1&2 and 3&4. I replaced the O-rings since the ones in the bike were likely the originals. Once again I'm lucky.

The bike came with a Vance & Hines system but I suspect it was a Chinese knock off. The bike ran but only with the choke on. Jetting seems way off. Only cylinders 1 and 3 a firing regularly, 2 and 4 don't seem to be getting enough fuel. I'll order a jet kit and an exhaust next week when I get back in town. All the cylinders have good compression and all the spark plugs fire so I'm pretty convinced the carbs are just gummed up and jetted incorrectly. I can check the valves too.

I replaced the carb intake boots with new ones and i'll replace the exhaust gaskets with new ones when the new exhaust gets in. spark plugs are new and those K&N filters were new in the box of parts that came with the bike.

I had a ZRX1200 with pods that was a daily driver so i'm not concerned with the drive-ability of pods. I live in southern California so we get about 350 riding days a year.

Comment

Unfortunately no, that's pretty much it. It's actually not that bad. Getting it running was the first big hurdle so we can check that one off. Getting a "complete" motorcycle together will be the next big hurdle. I'd like to strip the entire bike down and repaint/powder coat all the parts once I have a fully assembled motorcycle. That'll also give me an opportunity to go through all the wiring and clean things up.

I enjoy a good project. Unfortunately, this is a G model and from what i've read, the E models are the ones that you can make some serious power on. Either way, I'm looking forward to getting this thing on the road. I think this is the first bike that i've owned that actually older than I am.

Comment

Originally posted by catdaddyrachel View Post
                        ...from what i've read, the E models are the ones that you can make some serious power on.
                        You read correctly. The Es have 4 valves and twin swirl combustion chambers. And there's that heavy shaft slowing you down.
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                          You read correctly. The Es have 4 valves and twin swirl combustion chambers. And there's that heavy shaft slowing you down.
                          ya, that’s ok. I’ve got a 1290 super duke that makes all the power I could ever want...for the moment. Regardless, I’d still like to give this bike a bit of a kick in the seat. There’s few things more amusing than watching a 40 year old bike walk a modern bike.

Comment

Does anyone happen to know if a 16 valve head will fit on an 8 valve motor? Essentially will an E model head fit on a G model motor. I figure if I’m going to do something silly, I might as well do it while the bike is half way stripped apart.

Comment

Nope.

No way.

No how.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X