New owner of a BIG project!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by catdaddyrachel View Post
    ...The bike ran but only with the choke on. Jetting seems way off. Only cylinders 1 and 3 a firing regularly, 2 and 4 don't seem to be getting enough fuel. I'll order a jet kit and an exhaust next week when I get back in town. ...
    Running only with choke on is a classic sign of carbs with clogged slow speed/idle circuits. Jetting is pointless until that gets fixed.
    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
      Running only with choke on is a classic sign of carbs with clogged slow speed/idle circuits. Jetting is pointless until that gets fixed.
      you're totally right. I got the carbs apart tonight to get them cleaned and the air mixture screw in the #2 carb broke off at the tip. The previous owner must have screwed it in too tightly and broke it. This explains why the #2 cylinder problem.

Apparently this is a common problem but there seems to be only about a 50/50 shot of getting it unstuck. I think I'm one of the people in the "still stuck" camp. Despite about 2 hours of forum searching and going in and out of the garage has just yielded a damage carb and lots of frustration.

I read that the 36mm mikuni carbs will also fit and are a decent upgrade. Can anyone elaborate on this?

Comment

can somebody find him the carb clean link to take these apart piece by piece i feel like it will be a huge help
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
          can somebody find him the carb clean link to take these apart piece by piece i feel like it will be a huge help
          the carbs are completely apart. The tip of the mixture screw broke off inside the carb body due to the PO over tightening the screw.

Comment

I have a fender for a GK going spare if you want it... beer money. Occasionally I get down to San Diego, got a friend around North park area. I ran a 1000G with Pods. I wouldn't say it offered any benefit over stock other than noise & less MPG

I'm currently in the closing throws of finishing an 1100G project
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              I have a fender for a GK going spare if you want it... beer money. Occasionally I get down to San Diego, got a friend around North park area. I ran a 1000G with Pods. I wouldn't say it offered any benefit over stock other than noise & less MPG

I'm currently in the closing throws of finishing an 1100G project
              that’s awesome!

id be willing to throw you some beer money or take you out for a few for your trouble. Do you have a build thread for your 1100G?
              Last edited by Guest; 01-07-2020, 12:37 PM.

Comment

you're totally right. I got the carbs apart tonight to get them cleaned and the air mixture screw in the #2 carb broke off at the tip. The previous owner must have screwed it in too tightly and broke it. This explains why the #2 cylinder problem.
                Can you feel the tip of the mixture screw sticking into the carb throat?

If you can, try rolling a round screwdriver shank across it. It just <might> dislodge it enough to pop it out.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Can you feel the tip of the mixture screw sticking into the carb throat?

If you can, try rolling a round screwdriver shank across it. It just <might> dislodge it enough to pop it out.

I tried just about every trick I could come across when searching through the forum. Unfortunately it wasn’t going to come undone. I ended up drilling it out and refilling the hole with JB weld. I used a good needle to help shape the new port hole but I’m unsure if that’ll be enough. I’ll find out when I go to balance and tune the carb if that’s good enough or if I’ll have to buy a new rack.
                  Last edited by Guest; 01-08-2020, 07:39 AM.

Comment

that’s awesome!

id be willing to throw you some beer money or take you out for a few for your trouble. Do you have a build thread for your 1100G?
                    Kinda but I'm not very good at keeping it up to date....

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

I'll make sure to keep hold of that fender for you. Not sure when I'll next be down that way but I'll let you know. I usually do half a dozen trips a year or so. It needs a bit of work on the leading edge where it's been dented but it's an easy fix (or you could cut that bit off given the nature of your project...)

Not sure I'd trust JB weld in the carb body. I'd be inclined to source a replacement. Chef1366 might have a spare body (Santa Barbara) and he's a great guy.
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

In case anyone was wondering how this turned out, here's the results. A lot of time and swearing and frustration later, shes running like a bat out of hell.

Comment

Any plans for a bit of a rear fender, and maybe a tidier seat?

Nice work
                        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                        X