GS1000G - Modifeid or Original

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000G - Modifeid or Original

Just picked up a much neglected GS that I wish to clean and restore. Is this a variant or modified bike - seems to be around 1983
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Danie.e; 01-04-2020, 08:58 AM.

Another view
    Attached Files

Comment

Not orig. color, fairing, exhaust, etc. etc. etc. That's for U.S.A. models, don't know if South Africa models could be different.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

If that is 1000G (not 850G, not 1100G), The model chart (here on GSR website, not the forum, the website) lists 1000G for 79 thru 82.
          all I can say is its not 79 based on the carbs and a couple other clues.

Paint scheme is definitly the eurpoean (not USA), looks like what have seen posted from other members in Europe and elsewhere.

I dont have any idea if the fairing and other body work was aftermarket or dealer installed.
          TO me and my USA experence, the fairing says Rifle or maybe even BMW.
          I know in US, in the 79 model year, certain models, the dealers could get a Suzuki branded, color matched, fairing and such. Although those looked like Cafilai (?speling?), not like yours.

I suspect Ben 2BRacing there in SA will have some better insight. Especailly since the paint sceme and color looks a lot like his (and his brothers).

>>Other comment.
          THe side bag there looks exactly like the Samsonite bags I had for 14-15 years. Although the mounting brackets are all different. THe bags I had the bags had a big trianglualr shaped area on the back that matched the big trianglular mounting brackets. Maybe another USA/ verse Eurpoean difference.
          Last edited by Redman; 01-04-2020, 11:34 AM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

How about "stock, with modifications"?

Not sure about Europe and SA, but the 1000G was only available in '80 and '81 in the US.

There are several details that confirm 1000G:
            - wheel pattern
            - instrument cluster
            - shape of fuel tank
            - location of "choke" control
            - shape of airbox ends
            - rear footpeg/muffler mounts
            - rear taillight cowling

There are a few differences from stock:
            - chrome front fender (might have been stock on non-US models)
            - lower handlebars (might have been stock on non-US models)
            - different handgrips (same as I have on my bikes)
            - fairing and lowers of unknown manufacturer (but I do like them)
            - saddlebag mount, possibly for Krauser bags
            - aftermarket mufflers

It appears that you have the start of a nice touring bike.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I should have found this first, before sharing my ignorance.

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
              Went for a most enjoyable father-and-son ride on the 850 and the 1000 on a glorious spring day.

Last edited by Redman; 01-04-2020, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danie.e View Post
                Just picked up a much neglected GS that I wish to clean and restore. Is this a variant or modified bike - seems to be around 1983
                Great find, Danie! You seem to have a knack for finding interesting bikes (like your Military Police model!).

I can confirm that the chrome front fender and low handlebar were stock items on most of the SA GS850G's and GS1000G's that I have seen around here. The fairing looks very much like a modified BMW R100RS fairing (based on the shape and the yellow lines on the transparent headlight cover - however, the round air intake grille below the front indicator was not original BMW - see internet pic below).

The hard luggage is Krauser, just like the set on the GS1000G that I bought from my brother. The silver/blue colour scheme is similar to mine, but the width of the stripes is different to yours. There was also a black/orange colour scheme on SA GS1000G's, like the late Flyboy's bike in the second photo, but the width of the stripes was also different to yours. The stock exhausts had longer silencers.

EDIT: Just a useless bit of information: the double round licence disc holder (made by Stirling) mounted at the top of the left rear crashbar was for the licence disc and the compulsory Third Party insurance disc that we had to display here in SA during the '80's.

Do keep us updated on your progress!

Last edited by 2BRacing; 01-04-2020, 12:53 PM.
                1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Fairing is something like a PowerBronze or Rickman or any one of half a dozen makers, one of which made that clone of the BMW RS fairing. Relatively common in the UK at the time.
                  I had one very like it and it was ok, but mine had an irritating scallop about halfway down which funnelled icy-cold streams of air right at my knees. It wasn't designed by someone who rode in the winter.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Keep it original with upgrades - suspension, brakes, electrical
                    That's a perfect long distance machine
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Ours all seemed to be dark drab colors, dark blue, brown, dark maroon, black. Heck, I like those brighter happier colors & stripes you can see, ours only got small pin stripes. I agree with Big T.
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. One seem to get hooked on these bikes and once hooked it never seems to stop. So now I have three - two complete and this one ready to be made "new" again. Someone please teach me to upload such nice big pictures

Comment

Originally posted by Danie.e View Post
                          ……... Someone please teach me to upload such nice big pictures
                          You need to upload your photos to an image-hosting site such as flickr or imgur (which I use), and then paste the image code in your post on the GSR forum. Once you have registered (free), you can upload your photos. I use the "Auto resize" feature and choose 15 inch or 17 inch monitor size from the list each time before I upload photos, to limit the size accordingly.

Click on the uploaded photo and a new "Editing" window will open, with a list of options on the right hand side. Click on "Copy" next to "BB Code (message boards & forums)" and then paste (Ctrl V) in your message. You can paste 9 photos per post. Press "Enter" twice after each photo to create a space between the photos.

Drop me an e-mail if you experience difficulties with the process.
                          1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Pichler fairing. I would love to have one of those for the 850 my son now owns...
                            Last edited by kingofvenus; 01-05-2020, 06:31 AM.
                            Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

I had the same racks for Samsonite cases on my 1000G. My cases were a different series to yours though. They worked great but would induce a weave when pushed above 85 or so (mine had the useless USA 80mph speedo so I couldn't really see exactly what speed it started)....
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                              X