No announcement yet.

2020 Journey's of epic proportions brought to you by Jedz Moto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's quite an ambitious travel plan for this year, Justin.

I'm not sure how your friend here in town is set up, but if you need anything and I'm available I'd be glad to help you out. How many miles do you get from a set of tires these days? Ship a set here ahead of time and swap them out in my garage if you'd like.

Just fyi, my grandson asked me to come to California on June 20th. His Parkour Academy is holding a Papas and Parkour event. Maybe I'll post something about that in another thread.

Godspeed to you.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Roger I will be due for a new rear shoe when I roll into NM. I get about 6-8K miles out of a rear and am planning to be running low on tread by than. My Buddy has a house with garage but he doesn't have any tools to do the swap, I'll pack them anyway for I will want to be able to do the repair or replacement anywhere if need be however if you have an air compressor and tools I may be over to get the job done. My buddy in San Diego also has a shop local so if I'm bald by than (5K miles) I can grab a tire there too... He also has a garage attached to his home but lack tire changing tools.
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
      Originally posted by Hayabuser
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

When I did my trip a couple years ago, I setup with a shop in Denver, had a tire waiting and a 9 am appointment for Saturday morning made before I left home here in Mass.. 2weeks prior. Just had to get there on time. That FJR beat hell out of those Pilot powers after four trips through the dragon, and The trip out����
        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Henry will have the tire land at his house (New Mexico), He said he's going to get motivated to get the tools by than. I have a new exhuast coming in that is 2-1 and the muffler is up-swept and out of the way of the rear axle. Going to make any garage or road side repair or replacement a breeze (drop about 10lbs off the bike too). I think I was down' to 30 minutes with removing the rear wheel ( and removing the 2 mufflers). The new system should save me 5-10 minutes there. The bike is super easy to work on...

I also installed the givi side case luggage system. More water proof storage.

Dragon is always fun. The Michelin Road's handle that area very well... I will be running Road 5's front and rear this year. The tires are evenly bald after I spend time on my visit to Appalachia every year. Awesome riding.

I'll be doing rear swing arm and head bearing repacks today and tomorrow as I install the new system.

I'll start reaching out to folks soon as I get closer to my annual pilgrimage to Daytona this March.

Trevor I'll be around Vegas the 12th, 15th and 16th of June.
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
            For traveling frugal this site is essential, plug in your route and it'll find spots for you!

www.freecampsites.net
            I will put this to use!!!! THANK YOU!
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
              Henry will have the tire land at his house (New Mexico), He said he's going to get motivated to get the tools by than. I have a new exhuast coming in that is 2-1 and the muffler is up-swept and out of the way of the rear axle. Going to make any garage or road side repair or replacement a breeze (drop about 10lbs off the bike too). I think I was down' to 30 minutes with removing the rear wheel ( and removing the 2 mufflers). The new system should save me 5-10 minutes there. The bike is super easy to work on...

I also installed the givi side case luggage system. More water proof storage.

Dragon is always fun. The Michelin Road's handle that area very well... I will be running Road 5's front and rear this year. The tires are evenly bald after I spend time on my visit to Appalachia every year. Awesome riding.

I'll be doing rear swing arm and head bearing repacks today and tomorrow as I install the new system.

I'll start reaching out to folks soon as I get closer to my annual pilgrimage to Daytona this March.

Trevor I'll be around Vegas the 12th, 15th and 16th of June.
              Hey Jedz, I will probably be there earlier than that, if I get to Vegas at all...right now my plan is to go to John Day and then visit Wes Cooley and his wife for a day....early June.
              About the 5's....I have had the 4's on my bmw then put the 5's on when they came out a couple of years ago...loved the 4's so I figured these will be great. Wrong...about 75% of the life of the 4's...they are supposed to be better in the rain but I never had any issues with the 4's in the rain...and being on the wet coast I ride a lot in it. So I have gone back the 4's....way better life and great grip.
              No signature

Comment

Interesting. You also have a motorcycle that's producing twice as much WHP as mine so I'm sure your going to experience wear differently. I truthfully can say IME with the tries I put about 3-4 rear tires on a year and the Road 5 and 4 yield about the same tread life but the 5 seems to be less prone to squaring off like the 4. This year the Road 5 is finally available in the front. The front 4GT I've been using will yield 15-18K miles typically and will go bald every time before cupping out. I'm interested to see how long the Road 5 front lasts this year.
                I've been happy with the 5's I haven't experienced any traction control or ABS issues. I have had a few pulses now that I think about it on the rear during aggressive braking when the tire was cold (40') and wet but either way Road 4 or 5; they are surely worlds ahead of the Dunlop Road Smart 3's.
                Jedz Moto
                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                  Hey Jedz, I will probably be there earlier than that, if I get to Vegas at all...right now my plan is to go to John Day and then visit Wes Cooley and his wife for a day....early June.
                  About the 5's....I have had the 4's on my bmw then put the 5's on when they came out a couple of years ago...loved the 4's so I figured these will be great. Wrong...about 75% of the life of the 4's...they are supposed to be better in the rain but I never had any issues with the 4's in the rain...and being on the wet coast I ride a lot in it. So I have gone back the 4's....way better life and great grip.
                  I have also heard of premature tire wear with the PR 5's from the fellows on the FJR forum. I really like the PR4's I'm sticking with them. I got about 11,000 miles out of my last set. However they did start wearing funky the last 1,000 miles or so. They still had tread, but the front started to "cup" real bad the rear was worn flat.
                  My Motorcycles:
                  22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                  22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                  82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                  81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                  79 1000e (all original)
                  82 850g (all original)
                  80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                    Interesting. You also have a motorcycle that's producing twice as much WHP as mine so I'm sure your going to experience wear differently. I truthfully can say IME with the tries I put about 3-4 rear tires on a year and the Road 5 and 4 yield about the same tread life but the 5 seems to be less prone to squaring off like the 4. This year the Road 5 is finally available in the front. The front 4GT I've been using will yield 15-18K miles typically and will go bald every time before cupping out. I'm interested to see how long the Road 5 front lasts this year.
                    I've been happy with the 5's I haven't experienced any traction control or ABS issues. I have had a few pulses now that I think about it on the rear during aggressive braking when the tire was cold (40') and wet but either way Road 4 or 5; they are surely worlds ahead of the Dunlop Road Smart 3's.
                    Not an issue where I get to ride.
                    No signature

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                      I have also heard of premature tire wear with the PR 5's from the fellows on the FJR forum. I really like the PR4's I'm sticking with them. I got about 11,000 miles out of my last set. However they did start wearing funky the last 1,000 miles or so. They still had tread, but the front started to "cup" real bad the rear was worn flat.
                      I get about 12,000kms (8,000 miles) from mine 4's...I'm ok with that...I'm on my 4th or 5th set now with the experiment of the 5's in between ...too bad about the 5's
                      No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                        Not an issue where I get to ride.
                        It is when you ride the whole eastern seaboard of Continental US, 31K miles last season in 8 months. I do keep a separate set of tires for Vermont, the sides wear faster in general when I'm riding local. Coming back to VT with a squared rear just screws things up. I try to mix the slab with the twisties when you can but sometimes... It's just unavoidable and you burn a flat spot in the center or your rear tire.

Note though the Road 4's NEVER flatten or cup in the front... Despite the tens of thousands of miles on the slab a front will see annually.

Thanks for the feedback Trev and Norm! The 4's are cheaper too so I might just run them again for sh*t's n' giggles!

Norm when you planning to come my way?
                        Last edited by Jedz123; 01-13-2020, 12:48 PM.
                        Jedz Moto
                        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                        1988 Honda GL1500-6
                        2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Hey Jedz, either in May or July since you'll be on the road most of June! Lol Or maybe in September when you guys have the rally. I'm going to try to space out my vacation time instead of burning it all up in one adventure. However, it would be fun to meet up with Trevor in Vegas. I do love it out west... To answer your question, I'm not sure. Lol
                          My Motorcycles:
                          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                          79 1000e (all original)
                          82 850g (all original)
                          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Hey Jedz, either in May or July since you'll be on the road most of June! Lol Or maybe in September when you guys have the rally. I'm going to try to space out my vacation time instead of burning it all up in one adventure. However, it would be fun to meet up with Trevor in Vegas. I do love it out west... To answer your question, I'm not sure. Lol
                            HAHA
                            Well May is a bad time for me to get time off for I'm busy with Finals, Senior events, Commencement and Reunion weekend, so take note. Your more than welcome to visit but I won't be riding much then.

I will be in Vermont allot this summer starting July! So stop by whenever!
                            Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

I like your Peavey amp work bench. Classic!
                              Current Bikes:
                              2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Vegas baby!!

Maybe you wanna meet up with us in early July...I'm organising a big rally for the Toad Rock Motorcycle Camp Ground near Nelson BC
                                No signature

Comment

Working...
                                X