No announcement yet.

Getting started. 79 GS550 Street Tracker Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks to me that the damage is at the very top of the cylinder. Can hurt to try and hone it out. Once to get all that sludge cleaned off of everything, you should be able to see what you really have. I can't see the whole cylinder though to tell definitely that it's good or not. You would not HAVE to change carbs, or anything else if you found a whole top end from a 650 of the same year. Pistons, jugs, head. That's it... I think they use the same carbs, but am not positive.
    '83 GS 1100T
    The Jet

sigpic
    '95 GSXR 750w
    The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

I would have thought at this stage it's worth at least trying to see if you can take it out with a hone.. You might find parts on here, otherwise Ebay
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Yes, if that sleeve is toast, 20 minutes in the oven and it will slide out. The problem may be getting a replacement sleeve
        But, hone it first and see what you have
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

That engine stand would be quite useful for my situation. By any chance you remember where you got it?

Also, subbed.
          #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
          #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
          #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
          #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
            That engine stand would be quite useful for my situation. By any chance you remember where you got it?

Also, subbed.
            As a matter of fact I do! I got mine on Amazon, but they’re available elsewhere.
            Heres the link: K&L Supply MC25 Metric Engine Stand 37-9352 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GV3DSE..._wq9WXJ7hYmMnJ

Thanks for the sub!
            ‘79 GS550
            ‘82 GS650G

Comment

Update coming

I’ll try to post an update tonight. For some reason I have been unsuccessful in logging into my account on my laptop. I can log in on my phone, and on my work computer, but not in my laptop. Very weird. Anyway, I’ll muddle along tonight once the kiddos go to bed.
              ‘79 GS550
              ‘82 GS650G

Comment

Quick update

So, I decided to start with the engine tear-down before tackling the carbs. I figured, if I get into it and there’s too many large pieces and things looking torn up, I’d need to head in a different direction.
                I got the engine disassembled and ready to split the cases. I haven’t quite figured out how to successfully manage the search feature yet, but did find out that I can use an 8mm bolt and nut to split them. I don’t want to get too aggressive with the hammer. ��
                I’ve been meticulously bagging and labeling everything for easier identification during assembly.

When I finally got to the oil pan, I was amazed at what I saw. So many tiny fragments from the piston disintegration.

The screen did its job, I think. There are some small particles on the screen.

I have been primarily using my Haynes manual, but I’ve been referring to the service manual from BassCliff’s website. It’s amazing how much different they are. I’m grateful to have both.

Anyway, once I get the cases split and the transmission stuff pulled out, I’m going to start the clean up process. There’s lots to do and it’ll probably seem like an endless job with the tools I have, but it’ll be worth it in the end.
                My goal is to get the engine cleaned up so I can either Cerakote it, or paint/powder coat it. (I’m not even sure powder coating is an option). Thoughts?

My ultimate goal is to have this bike looking sharp. I’d like to take it to shows some day, but I want it to turn heads while I’m riding it.

This is what it looked like when I parked it. My goal is for it to look pristine at the end.

I’ll post more updates when I can! Thanks for the feedback, advice and for following!!
                ‘79 GS550
                ‘82 GS650G

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share

Hey Gumbo76,

Thanks for taking the time to share your project. Makes really interesting reading as i look forward to starting my first project at the end of the month.

I'll continue following your progress, good luck!
                  Mike

Harley Davidson Fatboy
                  BMW R1200GT
                  GS550 1978 Project bike
                  Yamaha Virago 535 bobber project
                  Honday VFR 750 1995 restoration project

Comment

Another Update

Another Update.
                    I got the cases split. Wasn't too bad, except I broke one of the tabs that I used to split the cases. Turns out, no matter how many times I read the manuals, and looked at the engine, I STILL missed a friggin' nut which needed to be taken off. I cannot seem to find this nut described anywhere in the manuals stating it needed to be removed. Thirteen 8mm bolts, and sixteen 6mm bolts. I swear.
                    Anyway, it does not appear that the placement of the broken tab was anywhere near the actual mating surfaces, so I should be good (as long as I don't have to split them again...).
                    Next Step; Cleaning. That will probably take me a while to complete, and I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the cases.

Debating 1 of 4 options. If I do any of the last three options it'll most likely be black. Not colored.

1. Shine the Aluminum Cases and leave it that way
                    2. Paint them with Very High Heat rated paint.
                    3. Cerakote them.
                    4. Powder Coat (If an available option).

What do you guys think would be the best route?

Here are some pics.

‘79 GS550
                    ‘82 GS650G

Comment

Just checking in... need some advice, please.

So, it’s been about a month since my last check in. Unfortunately life has taken my attention away from this project (but I expected that would be the case). Anyway just wanted to check in.

So, I don’t have any recent pics of progress (it’s super slow going), but I have started cleaning up the engine cases, head and cylinders. I’m running into a mess, trying to clean up between the fins on the cylinders. I’ve tried wire brushes, hex shaft wire brushes, cleaner, filing down a toothbrush. I just can’t seem to get into all of the nooks and crannies very well. The goal is to paint this thing. I want the paint to last, and I know it has to be extremely clean.

I could use some direction on how to get all of the dust, dirt and oxidation off of this thing. Specifically from the cooling fin gaps. I don’t have anyone locally that I can find, who can vapor blast it. I don’t want to spend hundreds of dollars getting it ready for paint if I can do it myself. My father-in-law has a media-blasting set-up, but I’ve got no experience with it, and he’s literally just figuring it out himself. I’ve also heard, dry-blasting isn’t a great option.

Also, the exhaust valve for #3 looks like it has a bunch of the piston slag bonded to it. A buddy of mine said I should just take a wire wheel/rush to it to get as much off as I can. My question is, how would it affect performance and/or engine life if I don’t spend a lot of time trying to get it perfect? What if I go too far? Am I better off buying a new exhaust valve? If so, is it likely I’ll have issues with it seating correctly? I plan on lapping the valves before assembly. Would that di the trick if I got a new valve? Questions! Questions!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Anyway, I just ordered a NOS piston to replace my blown up #3. Got quite a few gaskets, seals and o-rings to get this back together. I’m itching to put it together so I can paint it and move on to the next item on the list.

Please help!
                      ‘79 GS550
                      ‘82 GS650G

Comment

You can clean up the valves, shouldn't be a big deal.

To clean my 1100 for paint I used a bunch of degreaser & a pressure washer
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

There are tons of media you can blast the motor with, soda being your best bet because it just washes off

That's super washing soda/ borax, not baking soda
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                          X