No announcement yet.

Frame bracing, boxing vs tubing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does the sump of the engine fit with those braces between the fram rails??

I have now made two gussets, they fit fine but because of the pet cock the left had to be massaged extensively with a hammer and the right one a little bit so the tank could shift a little bit to the left so the petcock can clear when lifting the tank up and down.
    I could have chosen not to do this but that would mean I would have had to remove the petcock every time I had to lift or remove the tank and for a show bike sure, but I plan on using this so servicing needs to take priority

Comment

I recall from back in the day that using thicker engine mount plates helped beef up the stiffness. No personal experience just sharing...
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Spiff View Post
        How does the sump of the engine fit with those braces between the fram rails??

I have now made two gussets, they fit fine but because of the pet cock the left had to be massaged extensively with a hammer and the right one a little bit so the tank could shift a little bit to the left so the petcock can clear when lifting the tank up and down.
        I could have chosen not to do this but that would mean I would have had to remove the petcock every time I had to lift or remove the tank and for a show bike sure, but I plan on using this so servicing needs to take priority

Good work, I will follow your build.
        The last pic I posted is not the lower frame rails, this is the front lower tubes.
        Marc
        AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
        1978 GS1000C X2
        1978 GS1000E X2
        1979 GS1000S
        1979 gs1000
        1983 gs400e

Comment

Great thread. thank you for the pics, links and advise.
          Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
          Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
          Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Making some slow progress, but I have some questions about the headstock bracing! See bottom picture:

A is how the sketch is outlined on the katana fram scheme I posted in my first post, but that interferes with the rubber grommet for the tank so I have to think of something else.
            I can do B with steel plates, C would also work with 12mm tubing(that's a hair under 1/2") and I think I might also get D to work without it interfering with the tank. Maybe.
            What do you think is the best? I think B and D with C being more of a compromise

Comment

B probably will look better and is more like the bracing they put on modern frames... I also like the fact it is braced counterclockwise as any bumps etc are going to put forces in that plane aren't they?
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

For me - and I've stayed out of this lately because everyone has to make their own mistakes - all that's needed is the lower diagonal in D.
                I wouldn't do any more welding on the headstock itself - it is stiff enough already IMO.

What you're trying to do is stiffen the area of the frame where the headstock loads are transmitted downward. The top tubes with your stiffeners will be more than adequate.

Bear in mind my experience is with big fours in tube frames being roadraced on slicks. Including a very quick GS1000 used on bumpy street circuits.
                Budget for some really good rear shocks - and don't overspring them.

Comment

Hmm... I thought the object of this brace was to prevent the headstock from twisting forces primarily?

As for dampers I have a set of öhlins dampers from a gsxr1400. Not sure on the springing they might be to stiff I will have to see once the bike is assembled fully. I plan on complimenting them with some new springs in the front fork as well as they seemed soft, might be able to take some of it off with the preload adjustment idk

Comment

Run some straight weight springs around 0.9kg/mm and cartridge emulators if you're using stock forks...
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Spiff View Post
                      Hmm... I thought the object of this brace was to prevent the headstock from twisting forces primarily?

Reply...If you make the headstock very stiff - but feed the loads into a flexible frame, where's the gain ? In roadracing situations, the heaviest loads coming from this area are actually braking loads. When you see -up close - a group of big pre 82 racebikes having a braking duel into a downhill hairpin on a bumpy street circuit, the light dawns.....

As for dampers I have a set of öhlins dampers from a gsxr1400. Not sure on the springing they might be to stiff I will have to see once the bike is assembled fully. I plan on complimenting them with some new springs in the front fork as well as they seemed soft, might be able to take some of it off with the preload adjustment idk
                      Little story....We bought Gazi shocks for the 1000. Very good quality and about 1/2 the price of Ohlins. Very popular in Post Classic racing in Australia and well supported too.
                      AFAIK we're the only Gazi users to buy the softest option spring available. It's perfect on the 1000 with a light/medium rider. We actually have measurable sag.
                      I'm told that nearly all the posties racing in Aus have no static sag at all.....

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                        Run some straight weight springs around 0.9kg/mm and cartridge emulators if you're using stock forks...
                        I'm not, I will be running sv1000s forks. So I'm not sure on the spring weights I guess I'll just have to get the bike together and see how it behaves and how it sags and such.

Originally posted by GregT View Post
                        Little story....We bought Gazi shocks for the 1000. Very good quality and about 1/2 the price of Ohlins. Very popular in Post Classic racing in Australia and well supported too.
                        AFAIK we're the only Gazi users to buy the softest option spring available. It's perfect on the 1000 with a light/medium rider. We actually have measurable sag.
                        I'm told that nearly all the posties racing in Aus have no static sag at all.....
                        Yeah I mocked everything up and when I sat on the bike there was no sag at all from the öhlins, so that's why I think they might be too stiff. I didn't check if there was any preload added on them so like I said I'll just have to get the bike together and take it from there...

Comment

I'm looking to get YSS shocks for my gs.I only heard good thing about them for the price.
                          I made little progress today.
                          Marc
                          CIMG5600.jpg
                          1978 GS1000C X2
                          1978 GS1000E X2
                          1979 GS1000S
                          1979 gs1000
                          1983 gs400e

Comment

Moving along ever so slightly...

Comment

Thanks for the update,
                              Marc
                              1978 GS1000C X2
                              1978 GS1000E X2
                              1979 GS1000S
                              1979 gs1000
                              1983 gs400e

Comment

Good thread, subscribing. I need to do this to my 750 this year... Will definitely be doing tgis extensively to my GS400 489cc track bike this year.
                                '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                                '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                                '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                                '79 GS425stock
                                PROJECTS:
                                '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                                '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                                '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                                '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                                '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Working...
                                X