Painting Calipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting Calipers

Had to tear down rear calipers on Roadkill, my '81 GS850G. Cleaned & scrubbed & wire brushed painted surfaces and have now a half & half paint/metal situation. The remaining paint is on solid. Looks like it's peeling but stuck tight to metal. I didn't want to chemically strip it, was hoping to just smooth it out a bit more & paint. (Neither I nor my bike are showpieces, just ugly working geezers).

Rust-Oleum says use their Caliper Paint on this job without any primer. Others say prime then paint. You Tube seems to show non aluminum (cast iron or steel I guess on cars) caliper work & the few MC clips seem to be very sloppy and lack detail info. Mostly cosmetic work on calipers where the paint wasn't bad.

So, Strip the paint??? Prime??? Etching Primer or basic stuff.

Any tips appreciated. Going to begin taping up the caliper halves tomorrow to prepare. See attached image for reference,\\Thanks as always,

I remain,

DH%22Paint%22 detail.jpg
    Rides ROADKILL-1981 GS850G, very slowly these days.

I recommend removing as much paint as possible, you need to get more off as the photo shows a lot of loose paint, if you have a wire wheel that you can install in a cordless drill , or one on a bench grinder works as well.

Clean the part really well and finish with really hot soapy water and then clean hot water.

If you have some of that open cell foam used for packing computers, not styrofoam, cut out pieces and stuff it in all the holes, takes a few minutes and works really well.

I only use VHT paint or in a pinch Duplicolor, never had good success with Rustoleum paints.

Use the satin finish (SP739) as it hides imperfections and matches the factory finish better than the gloss finish.

No primer and no clear for me, just paint straight on bare clean metal.

This easy to apply spray paint dries quickly and is remarkably resistant. Learn more about how it?s been specifically designed for the custom detailing of brake components.

Last edited by Kiwi Canuck; 01-17-2020, 11:26 AM.
    2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
    2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
    1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
    2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
    1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
    1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
    1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
    Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
      I recommend removing as much paint as possible, you need to get more off as the photo shows a lot of loose paint, if you have a wire wheel that you can install in a cordless drill , or one on a bench grinder works as well.

Clean the part really well and finish with really hot soapy water and then clean hot water.

If you have some of that open cell foam used for packing computers, not styrofoam, cut out pieces and stuff it in all the holes, takes a few minutes and works really well.

I only use VHT paint or in a pinch Duplicolor, never had good success with Rustoleum paints.

Use the satin finish (SP739) as it hides imperfections and matches the factory finish better than the gloss finish.

No primer and no clear for me, just paint straight on bare clean metal.

This easy to apply spray paint dries quickly and is remarkably resistant. Learn more about how it?s been specifically designed for the custom detailing of brake components.

Thanks KiwiCanuck, you sound very geographically diverse. Appreciate the input, trying to gather as much feedback as poss before I make final decision. Too cold to paint here for at least a week as can't do it in house. I like the foam tip, will definitely use that for sure. Rear caliper is a bit more complex but it is split so shouldn't be too diff to tape and cover.

Thanks again, Be Safe

DH
      Rides ROADKILL-1981 GS850G, very slowly these days.

Comment

Soft wire wheel on bench grinder does a great job as does a buddies blasting cabinet. I use Duplicolor caliper paint the bake it at around 150 or so for half an hr or so. seems heating it hardens the paint a bit...least thats my opinion
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I used a bench grinder wire wheel to clean off old paint....taped off the necessary area's and put in an old bleeder screw and banjo bolt

Wiped cleaned with mineral spirits to remove any oil/dirt substance from handling etc.

Heated them up in toaster over for about 10 mins at about 350 degrees

Sprayed with VHT black semi-gloss caliper paint from Autozone........a couple of coats....don't think I reheated in between coats - used wire hanger to hang them while spraying

Let dry to the touch then reheated them in toaster oven.....laided them on mating surface when heating

They came out just like Kiwi's and have spilt brake fluid on them too many times to count and the paint has not peeled off....yet.
          1979 GS850G
          2004 SV650N track bike
          2005 TT-R125 pit bike
          LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

I cleaned off the old paint with a brass wire wheel on a Dremel. Taped off the empty bores with blue painter's tape and painted 3 or 4 coats of VHT. Looks decent but I didn't heat cure them and a little paint is peeling where I got fluid on them during assembly. Will definitely bake them if/when I decide to repaint them.
            Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
            2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
            1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Blasting it will always be the best route to getting a clean/consistent surface if you have a way to do it, if not the suggestions above will work. As far as paint I settled on something designed for guns when i was refinishing my small parts. I’ve used 2 different products: Norrell’s Moly-Resin and KG Guncoat, both applied with an airbrush then baked on. They smell the same and cure about the same. I like it because of the chemical resistance, the brake fluid is very corrosive and tends to eat paint. The Norrell’s product says right in the instructions that they offer a reward if you can find a chemical that will take it off after it’s properly applied.
              1978 GS750E (barn find and current project)
              1997 Electra Glide
              1983 Goldwing

Comment

Working...
              X