Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rain riding...likely posted before, but worth another look for the chuckle factor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
    There isn't enough room on the server to list all the injuries!
    you really need to cool those jets
    1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

Originally posted by ptegsotic View Post
      you really need to cool those jets
      Jets are extinguished - I'll be lucky to walk again. Suzi will go in the living room, where I can safely admire her. And Don Corleone will give protection in the East, and there will be the peace.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Jets are extinguished - I'll be lucky to walk again. Suzi will go in the living room, where I can safely admire her. And Don Corleone will give protection in the East, and there will be the peace.
        So sorry to hear you had such a bad bad crash. So bad you can't remember it, wow!
        Do what you can do tough guy.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Two words, Dirt track....
          Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

I like at the end, the 2 team owners, Blata underwhelmed by his rider, but Tardozzi is humored by the display, and Bayliss is amused too!
            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
              Sure but the rider in the video had more than tires working for him....extraordinary skill.
              It's the skill and confidence in his ability to ride the bike that I admire, if I was only a 10th as good I would be happy. Still, I can dream
              Jeff

Living the dream...

1980 GS1000 that has been modestly modified.

Comment

Go to the mattresses doesn't mean get yourself broke up
                97 R1100R
                Previous
                80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Love the enthusiasm of those Italian announcers!
                  80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Reminds me of the inaugural Indianapolis MotoGP held in 2008:

On that day, the remnants of Hurricane Ike were moving across the Great Lakes region and played havoc with the weather in Indiana. They started the race in the rain, ran several laps in the wet, then went into the pits due to visibility and wind issues. Once the rain pretty much stopped, they went back onto the track to finish, and the wind picked up more and mostly dried the track off. But the race was called short soon thereafter because of 30-40 mph wind gusts.

One has no idea how anticlimactic it is to call the winner of a race when all the racers are in the pits waiting for the weather to clear, and it never does.

I'm sure it's more disappointing to the racers than the fans, except for the rider (Rossi, in that case) who was leading when they stopped the race.
                    sigpic

SUZUKI:
                    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Last year while riding my 1983 GS850GL all over the southeast I spent a fair amount of time in the rain

It seemed to rain every day of my 10 days out -- and as such I got fairly accustomed to riding wet.

On one day I was zipping up a main highway (4 lanes) and went into a right hand downhill sweeper at about 70mph (posted speed 65)

As I was coming around the corner I felt the rear end start to come out as it slid on the wetness - only losing partial grip I suppose -

I rode it out for the 20-30 feet and the rear grabbed again - and once it hooked up I went into a terrible wobble for another 100 yards (all distances are estimated)

Finally I got straightened out -- and slowed down for the rest of the day too.

Riding in the rain can be fun - and you have more traction than you imagine you do - but it is not an experience to be taken lightly.

Be safe
                      Currently in the Stable :
                      2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                      1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                      - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Many years ago, we attended a Goldwing rally near Asheville, NC. It was raining as we left on Sunday, headed west on I-40. Riding through "the canyon" is usually a nice time. The rain made us back it off a notch or two, then we got to the "notices" painted on the roadway. Yeah, the ones that say "No trucks in left lane". They are intended to keep traffic moving by letting cars get by the trucks that have to slow down a bit through the curves, but every single one of those notices was placed IN THE CURVE.

When we got home, I wrote a letter to the NC Highway Department expressing my displeasure at the placement of their notices. About a week later, I got a reply. It was actually an apology for the oversight. They explained that they have a committee that meets with the road engineers. The committee's members represent fire fighters, truck drivers, bus drivers and many other walks of life, including several who are motorcyclists. Seems they only placed them at regular intervals, not noticing that they were in the turns. He said that there wasn't much they could do with the current notices, but as they were replaced, they would pay more attention to placement.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by steve View Post
                          many years ago, we attended a goldwing rally near asheville, nc. It was raining as we left on sunday, headed west on i-40. Riding through "the canyon" is usually a nice time. The rain made us back it off a notch or two, then we got to the "notices" painted on the roadway. Yeah, the ones that say "no trucks in left lane". They are intended to keep traffic moving by letting cars get by the trucks that have to slow down a bit through the curves, but every single one of those notices was placed in the curve.

When we got home, i wrote a letter to the nc highway department expressing my displeasure at the placement of their notices. About a week later, i got a reply. It was actually an apology for the oversight. They explained that they have a committee that meets with the road engineers. The committee's members represent fire fighters, truck drivers, bus drivers and many other walks of life, including several who are motorcyclists. Seems they only placed them at regular intervals, not noticing that they were in the turns. He said that there wasn't much they could do with the current notices, but as they were replaced, they would pay more attention to placement.

stay off the paint !!

Currently in the Stable :
                          2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                          1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                          - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Working...
                          X