Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My GS850G ongoing issues and maintenance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to start on the rebuild of the other engine.
    I have a fair amount of spares, including a good crankshaft, but it got submerged in the flood and it's not felt right since. So, I bit the bullet and got a relatively low-mileage crankshaft via ebay.com for a reasonable price. Other jokers wanted less money for the shafts but wanted to rob me on shipping. This one cost more for the shaft, but has the ignition triggers and a rotor still attached, plus the shipping is less than half of what the others wanted.

---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

A while ago I bought a pair of cheap Black&Decker style Workmates, in a 2fer1 deal. It occurred to me they'd be useful for quite a few things, balancing wheels being one of them.

---- Dave
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Looks to be working well but my judgement might have been clouded by the mesmerizing soundtrack.
        1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
        1983 GS 1100 G
        2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
        2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
        1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Update: August 2021...
          During Covid times of no travelling allowed, I was restricted from going out to the motorway for a high-speed blast, having to just toddle around the backroads to and from the shops instead, so was unprepared for what happened when I finally got out there...

IMG_20210808_151054_131.jpg

Whale oil beef hooked. Never expected that, especially when the AFR gauge is telling me the mixture is OK.
          Working on the assumption that the AFR gauge might be lying to me, I decided to go richer with the SU needle, but there was only one problem - I'd pretty much reached the limit of 0.09" needles, so that left only one option...
          Fit a 0.10 jet and move to the B-family needles.
          Luckily I have a fair few of them kicking around from the HIF44 carb.
          Last edited by Grimly; 01-27-2023, 03:59 PM.
          ---- Dave

Comment

Still getting overheat problems, and I finally got around to physically fitting the oil cooler I bought last year.
            Ugly but hopefully effective.
            I seriously suspect there's something going on with the airflow under the fairing chin, as when I look at it from the side, there's a clear shot to the head and barrels, with nothing much forming a barrier to clear air flow. That leaves the possibility of some weird airflow swirl which might give rise to stagnant air right in front of the head. It's just a theory...
            Anyway, decided to remove the heat from the troubled area and dump it somewhere into clean air. Not much point fitting an oil cooler right in the suspect area, where most are, so rigged it up at the nose.

GS Cooler inst 1.jpg
            Not sure whether to have the cooler upside down (leaving oil in it) or fit it conventionally, but that would mean refilling it every cold start.
            ---- Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
              Still getting overheat problems, and I finally got around to physically fitting the oil cooler I bought last year.
              Ugly but hopefully effective.
              I seriously suspect there's something going on with the airflow under the fairing chin, as when I look at it from the side, there's a clear shot to the head and barrels, with nothing much forming a barrier to clear air flow. That leaves the possibility of some weird airflow swirl which might give rise to stagnant air right in front of the head. It's just a theory...
              Anyway, decided to remove the heat from the troubled area and dump it somewhere into clean air. Not much point fitting an oil cooler right in the suspect area, where most are, so rigged it up at the nose.

GS Cooler inst 1.jpg
              Not sure whether to have the cooler upside down (leaving oil in it) or fit it conventionally, but that would mean refilling it every cold start.
              Ugly aas can be.........did you check the oil pressure? Is it possible a hose degraded internal layer and is blocking flow?
              There is a pressure valve that is dependent on viscosity in suzuki sump that ar eplumbed for an oil cooler. It to can fail. THere is always a nice flow routing diagram in the manual.
              Last edited by Cipher; 12-29-2023, 03:52 PM.
              1983 GS 550 LD
              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post

Ugly aas can be.........did you check the oil pressure? Is it possible a hose degraded internal layer and is blocking flow?
                Until now, there have been no hoses in the oil system, it's factory stock.
                But... hmm... when I had the top end off, I decided to clean the oil pan and found the strainer was fairly well clogged with bits of old clutch material. I'm now wondering if there has been another accumulation of debris, but where it's come from I can't figure out. New clutch at the time, too.

There is a pressure valve that is dependent on viscosity in suzuki sump that ar eplumbed for an oil cooler. It to can fail. THere is always a nice flow routing diagram in the manual.
                More investigation needed. I'll update this when I find anything or nothing.
                I've got a set of 750 higher flow gears and the pump came with them, so I'll be fitting them next week, probably. That will give me an opportunity to eyeball the internals a bit more.
                First thing I'll be doing when the pipery is in place is simply turn the engine over and see what shoots out the oil pipe.
                ---- Dave

Comment

Bloody oil pressure lights.
                  I expected the OP light to take a little while to go out, with the extra cooler lines (although I'd filled the cooler), cranking and cranking away.
                  Left it then went back to it and realised I'd been waiting for the neutral light to go out - the OP light had gone out long since.​
                  ---- Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                    Bloody oil pressure lights.
                    I expected the OP light to take a little while to go out, with the extra cooler lines (although I'd filled the cooler), cranking and cranking away.
                    Left it then went back to it and realised I'd been waiting for the neutral light to go out - the OP light had gone out long since.​
                    Are you colour blind? lordy my neutral is green.
                    1983 GS 550 LD
                    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Dave, just curious, do you happen to be red/green color blind?
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                        Dave, just curious, do you happen to be red/green color blind?
                        No, but I recollect this was not the first time this had happened. It stems from charging lights being red on my cars of the past (don't know how current that idiot light is on modern cars).
                        ---- Dave

Comment

Ha, ha! I could see myself doing that.
                          1986 1150EF
                          2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

I was a bit concerned with the battery state when I went to charge it up after all that cranking. It never got down far enough to go slow, just a normal top-up charge. However, I discovered the so-called smart charger wasn't doing a very good job of addressing the AGM, clicking off into green status far too soon.
                            I ordered up a more modern charger that definitely has an AGM mode and sorted it out yesterday.
                            The Motobatt that's currently on the 850 is nearly eight years old and looks like it's got a good bit of life left in it yet.
                            I probably caught it in time, as one of the causes of early demise of AGMs is under-charging, which that old charger was doing. I'm fairly sure the bike's charging system was bringing it up enough when I was doing longer runs, but in the winter it's only in and out of the shops once a fortnight, so was getting the occasional top-up from the old charger.
                            ---- Dave

Comment

Finally got out and about today, as the cupboard was looking a bit bare. Excellent opportunity to test the oil cooler, and since it was a day of 5degC outside, I expected the gauge to be low if the cooler was being effective.
                              Yep, it certainly works. Max temp it reached on the motorway was around 75degC and from the shops to my house all it got was barely off the stop, which is good.
                              I'm considering whether it's worth buying an oil stat or just making a cloth sock for half the radiator.
                              I'll try a sock first, as it will cost nothing, and my opinion on stats is not high - just something else to malfunction.
                              Old....

New...

---- Dave

Comment

I just twist tie a piece of cardboard to the front of the cooler in winter. However, I can't say my 'thermostat' has any effect at all. The cooler itself made an almost unbelievable difference; from much too hot in summer to barely 200 f winter or summer, cardboard or none. Supposedly too cold to burn off condensation in the crank case.

Has anybody ever noticed any condensation or other problems from running too cold?
                                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                                X