Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My GS850G ongoing issues and maintenance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
    I just twist tie a piece of cardboard to the front of the cooler in winter. However, I can't say my 'thermostat' has any effect at all. The cooler itself made an almost unbelievable difference; from much too hot in summer to barely 200 f winter or summer, cardboard or none. Supposedly too cold to burn off condensation in the crank case.

Has anybody ever noticed any condensation or other problems from running too cold?
    Water vapour will evaporate out way below boiling point, so a good long run of say an hour or two every so often will keep it clear. Only thing I've ever noticed about water contamination on some engines is a tendency for emulsion to form under the filler cap or rocker cover - when that happens you know it's time to address the issue (by not doing so many short runs).
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

The voltage meter has been waggling around a lot when revs rise over 4k, then settling down. Charging has been unaffected, so I suspected a dirty connection either at the meter feed or even at the reg-rec (SH-775).
      Stuck on another reg-rec and the voltage was fine, no waggling.
      Put the original SH-775 back on and ditto.
      OK, cleaned up the connectors at the 775, put it back together and that's it sorted, seemingly.

Since I'd got it hot, I checked compression figures...
      1. 140+
      2. 140+
      3. 140+
      4. 145+
      That do for now.
      ---- Dave
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Well, that was an unexpected series of events.
        Started off by simply changing the SU needle, then fitting a new-to-me Saddlemen seat. I finished off by checking the cold start and running and set up the idle, etc.
        Then I noticed the oil cooler adapter (rather, the o-ring under the OP switch) was leaking a bit. Turns out, some idle sod who'd fitted it hadn't checked the proper fit of the o-ring and it was actually a size too big, so got squeezed out at one end. Stupid git.
        That turned out to be an erse of a job, because the clutch cable runs directly across the top of the take-off point for the OP, and I thought I'd take the opportunity to fit a new clutch lever perch from a Dullville.
        All together now, and bone dry, but my back is the regulator of how much I can do in awkward positions... flaming sore now.​
        ---- Dave

Comment

Working...
        X