1100 Katana restomod with 1230 engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100 Katana restomod with 1230 engine

My 1100 Katana has been modified over the years and I'm now totally happy with the result.
    The modifications were mostly related to installing a modern suspension with 17" wheels.
    As we all know, the issue with the GS bikes is to keep enough ground clearance with modern forks that are typically quite short and with very little offset.
    The components I use are Bandit 1200 forks with DL 1000 triples.
    For the rear, the shocks have been extended to 350 mm eye to eye
    Two issues however remained: the bike needs to be freshened up and the engine needs a rebuild as it consumes quite a bit of oil.
    The engine itself is a GS 1150 ( 1135 cc) for which I ordered a 1229 Wiseco piston kit.
    For these reasons, I decided to tear the bike apart for a complete rebuild.
    Here it is today:

IMG_1930.jpg
    Last edited by John Kat; 02-18-2020, 02:46 PM.
    sigpicJohn Kat
    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

lol "I'm totally happy with the result" so "I decided to tear the bike apart.." love it. Us gs guys are a peculiar bunch. I look forward to the results!
    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Definitely keen to follow along here John! Love me a good Kat (re)build!

With the front end, were those literally bolt on upgrades or was any machining required?
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
        Definitely keen to follow along here John! Love me a good Kat (re)build!

With the front end, were those literally bolt on upgrades or was any machining required?
        No machining whatsoever!
        I thought I would have to provide some form of lock stops but in fact the lower fairing support does just that.
        The stem of the DL 1000 looks very long but fits with no issue.
        More details here:
        Attached Files
        Last edited by John Kat; 02-19-2020, 12:39 PM.
        sigpicJohn Kat
        My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
          My 1100 Katana has been modified over the years and I'm now totally happy with the result.
          The modifications were mostly related to installing a modern suspension with 17" wheels.
          As we all know, the issue with the GS bikes is to keep enough ground clearance with modern forks that are typically quite short and with very little offset.
          The components I use are Bandit 1200 forks with DL 1000 triples.
          For the rear, the shocks have been extended to 350 mm eye to eye
          Two issues however remained: the bike needs to be freshened up and the engine needs a rebuild as it consumes quite a bit of oil.
          The engine itself is a GS 1150 ( 1135 cc) for which I ordered a 1229 Wiseco piston kit.
          For these reasons, I decided to tear the bike apart for a complete rebuild.
          Here it is today:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60271[/ATTACH]
          Since you are ripping it apart, i would plan on a little frame bracing as well. Katman used to do a minimum about down near the swing arm pivot.

I think C,D and E are big improvements for the street. No need for the rest.

Last edited by posplayr; 02-18-2020, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            Since you are ripping it apart, i would plan on a little frame bracing as well. Katman used to do a minimum about down near the swing arm pivot.

I think C,D and E are big improvements for the street. No need for the rest.
            I'm well aware of these modifications but have decided to keep the frame stock.
            Two reasons for this: first I can get the bike back to OEM if required and second at my level of riding they are not required.
            A few racers over here believe there is no improvement to be had?
            I remember an article many years ago when a Honda HRC engineer stated that they had decreased the rigidity of the frame in some areas to make it easier to control the bike.
            I also remember that I sold my Z 900 when the GS 750 came out as the roadholding was like night and day...
            The question on my mind today is : should I go with the stock cams or use the Webcams #223 with .340 lift and 266° duration?
            sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

I'm well aware of these modifications but have decided to keep the frame stock.
              Two reasons for this: first I can get the bike back to OEM if required and second at my level of riding they are not required.
              A few racers over here believe there is no improvement to be had?
              I remember an article many years ago when a Honda HRC engineer stated that they had decreased the rigidity of the frame in some areas to make it easier to control the bike.
              I also remember that I sold my Z 900 when the GS 750 came out as the roadholding was like night and day...
              The question on my mind today is : should I go with the stock cams or use the Webcams #223 with .340 lift and 266° duration?
              On my 831100ED I did all i could to make the stock equipment work (emulators, Ohlins in back, fork brace, Sport demons) and the bike rode very well up to about 70 mph. You had to be more gingerly after that.
              After doing the 1166, ported head, 0.340's teh bike was a little scary even at 60 under acceleration.
              After that i did the 1988 GSXR 18" wheels/forks/Bandit Swinger conversion with radials and the same uneasy feeling came in around 90 mph now. I would certainly go faster, just did not want to hit corners real hard.
              The 17" wheels would have probably improved things, but i always felt a little hingey and this was corroborated by Rob Katman).

For that BB I would go for the 0.348's. The 0.340 are mild even for the 1166 but they have improved longevity due to reduce valve seat pressure.

For the street and back country roads I would also use a 4:2:1 is you can find it. Really helps remove the mid range flat spot typical of 4:1

Comment

Cool John thanks for pointing me in the direction of your DL/Bandit swap thread too, very interesting!
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

On my 831100ED I did all i could to make the stock equipment work (emulators, Ohlins in back, fork brace, Sport demons) and the bike rode very well up to about 70 mph. You had to be more gingerly after that.
                  After doing the 1166, ported head, 0.340's teh bike was a little scary even at 60 under acceleration.
                  After that i did the 1988 GSXR 18" wheels/forks/Bandit Swinger conversion with radials and the same uneasy feeling came in around 90 mph now. I would certainly go faster, just did not want to hit corners real hard.
                  The 17" wheels would have probably improved things, but i always felt a little hingey and this was corroborated by Rob Katman).

For that BB I would go for the 0.348's. The 0.340 are mild even for the 1166 but they have improved longevity due to reduce valve seat pressure.

For the street and back country roads I would also use a 4:2:1 is you can find it. Really helps remove the mid range flat spot typical of 4:1
                  Very valuable inputs (as usual!).
                  Your experience with your bike reminds me of the issues I had with my GS 1000 ST.
                  Past a certain speed the bike felt also unstable with slow weaves building up...
                  After modifying it to GSXR 1st gen wheels and fork plus a GS 1100 swingarm it cured the issue.
                  The tires are Conti Road Attack 2CR.
                  I also noticed that the front fairing that's attached to the forks greatly contributes to the instability.
                  Coming back to the 1100 Kat, it's utterly stable and the "cartridge" type forks of the 1st gen 1200 Bandit surely play a great role.
                  As for the exhaust, I was lucky to pick up a Kerker 4 into 1 into 2 that works really fine while looking good at the same time.

IMG_1307.jpg
                  Last edited by John Kat; 02-20-2020, 04:14 AM.
                  sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                    Cool John thanks for pointing me in the direction of your DL/Bandit swap thread too, very interesting!
                    Glad to help you out!
                    You need the 1st gen DL 1000 triples and the bearings from All Balls racing: https://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconversion
                    PS: the reason it worked with Bandit legs is that the spacing is identical to the OEM Bandit triples.
                    Last edited by John Kat; 02-20-2020, 04:23 AM.
                    sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

As mentionned elsewhere the bike came with an 1100 Cylinder head on a 1150 bottom end.
                      Luckily, I found a matching 1150 cylinder head that has been ported.
                      I noticed that the cams are different between the two models (R2 vs R1)
                      Luckily the design of the head puts the intakes at exactly the same place so there should be no problem to fit the air filter in the Katana frame.
                      That's cost conscious R&D at work!
                      Here's a picture of them both side by side:

IMG_1941.jpg
                      sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

As mentionned elsewhere the bike came with an 1100 Cylinder head on a 1150 bottom end.
                        Luckily, I found a matching 1150 cylinder head that has been ported.
                        I noticed that the cams are different between the two models (R2 vs R1)
                        Luckily the design of the head puts the intakes at exactly the same place so there should be no problem to fit the air filter in the Katana frame.
                        That's cost conscious R&D at work!
                        Here's a picture of them both side by side:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60300[/ATTACH]

How do you just happen to find a "cheap' ported 1150 head laying around? That would seem to be a rare bird unless there is a strong racing circuit by you.

Comment

How do you just happen to find a "cheap' ported 1150 head laying around? That would seem to be a rare bird unless there is a strong racing circuit by you.
                          Haha, it wasn't exactly cheap but just across the channel from France, there is a small island that must have the most enthusiastic racers in the world!
                          I couldn't believe my luck when I saw the head for sale on ebay UK.
                          I didn't even try to negociate the price as I was so happy!
                          sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Haha, it wasn't exactly cheap but just across the channel from France, there is a small island that must have the most enthusiastic racers in the world!
                            I couldn't believe my luck when I saw the head for sale on ebay UK.
                            I didn't even try to negociate the price as I was so happy!
                            Cheap GS thrills are great

Comment

I have an issue with my OEM cams on my 1150 engine.
                              The camshafts came with separate cam gears and I'm concerned that they are the right type?
                              The intake gear is marked #451 and the exhaust #470.
                              Is that correct?

IMG_1996.jpg
                              sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Working...
                              X